NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Templates

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2009 at 10:02pm
How about a 1-1/2" mounted stone bit powered by a hand drill?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 10:39am
Originally posted by abolton abolton wrote:

What have you found to be good for grinding on the filit radius where the channel meets the hull? My 4-1/2" disc is not flexible enough to do it...

My question got lost in the shuffle...any solutions for grinding a 3/4" Radius at the old stringer channel?

Abe,
You really shouldn't have that much of the old radius left even with saving some for a reference point and a spot to put the filled epoxy for bedding in the new wood. The flap disks may get in there as they will comform to some shapes but they wear out fast. A stone will get loaded up real quick. A flap wheel will get in there but it too will wear fast. I'd say go after what's left with the resin bonded disk. At a tangent to the radius a 4" disk will do it.

Tim, I see your question has been answered regarding the resin bonded abrasive disk. Yes, the one that Andy pictured.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 11:37am
Thank you, we have a Harbor Frt. here in town I will pick up some things. I just ordered all new skins and carpet from Christine's, and I'm working on getting new gauges from Livorsi S/W style ofcourse. I need to repaint the dash, restore the steering wheel and speedo's and re-chrome the Ski Nautique dash emblem. I hope to complete it with a new long block with the GT40 heads, a bit more cam and new carb. I love being on the Nautique year round, thats hard to do in Buffalo.
ABE
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 12:34pm

I need to repaint the dash.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Loke Chris said- wetsand if necessary, then buff it out with compound and polish. Its gelcoat just like the rest of the boat and will clean up nicely.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by 82 Nautique 1 82 Nautique 1 wrote:

Started my project today... Wow..

Yes the most damage was in front of the motor box. The Main
stringers were not glassed over the tops. ( I wonder why)

To me the issue of the stringers being glassed over the top comes down to how do you do that and still end up with a flat floor. With the wood to wood joint you simply sand down the stringers till they are flat and level, but to glass over you need to leave a predetermined gap and then add glass and then resand. Not a deal breaker with wood, but a lot more work and definitely harder to get perfectly flat. Certainly not something the factory was going to do, if someone else has worked out how to do it well I would interested to see it.

When I did my mustang with non structural foam stringers I had to fully wrap them with many laminations for strength and because I was unwilling to sand through the layers of glass that I was relying on for structure I ended up with a very not flat floor. Coosa was my solution in the second set of stringers to get around this problem. Basically I glassed fully up the sides of the stringers, cut and sanded everything flush (making the tops of all stringers and supports that were going to have floor attached to them bare coosa on top), and then I would soak strips of fiberglass mat with thickened resin and place them on tip of the exposed coosa before putting the floor on top. I just didn't see another way to get a flat floor?

Okieboarder if you are using those sanding disks and going through 10 a stringer you should really consider getting some flap disks. One diamond cutting wheel and 3 flap disks was the sum total of equipment I used to remove and grind the entire job on my 83 SN. Those tools produced better finish, cheaper cost, and quicker progress than previous methods which included combinations of sawzalls, bodys saws,grinder cutoff wheels, sanding disks, and the regular grinding disks. For any radius or cutout work I used the zip saw with flex attachment and mostly cartridge rolls, but also some with a 1 inch diameter flap disk drum. Many ways to skin a cat of course but with things that wear relatively quickly like the cutoff wheels and the sanding disks I find you spend most of the project working at less than ideal cutting speed, or stopping frequently to change disks/wheels.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Okieboarder if you are using those sanding disks and going through 10 a stringer you should really consider getting some flap disks. One diamond cutting wheel and 3 flap disks was the sum total of equipment I used to remove and grind the entire job on my 83 SN.

Joe, flap discs look like this? Are these a home depot item?

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 4:50pm
ThAt would be them, I buy them at a manufacturing supply place.   They are commonly used in metal body working. Less pressure yields excellent control and a flat surface, more pressure and the will remove a ton of material quick.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 5:41pm
To get a Flat Floor...

I have a 27' Magnum that has fully glassed stringers, how they did it was on each side of the stringer they glassed on L-tabs set slightly higher than the top of the stringer to attach the floor to. When Idid it I through bolted two 5/4 x 4 P.T. pcs. of wood the entire lgth. of the stringer set slightly higher than the top. I then screwed my floor into those runners. It makes for a nice flat floor just be sure to seal the through holes in the stringers and use Stainless Steel nuts and bolts.
ABE
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 6:36pm

ThAt would be them, I buy them at a manufacturing supply place.   They are commonly used in metal body working. Less pressure yields excellent control and a flat surface, more pressure and the will remove a ton of material quick.

Nothing listed at Home Depot, but Lowes shows that they have them. I assume go with the most aggressive grit that I can, right?

DEWALT 36 Grit 4-1/2" Flap Disc
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 6:37pm
regarding abolton's post ^^^

Is it necessary to bond the floor to the stringers and hull for structural reasons?

I initially considered using a bolt-down floor mounted on tabs bonded to the stringers (very easy, better sub-floor maintenance, and easy to get a flat floor), but then I began having concerns whether the stringer-floor-hull bond was necessary for structural integrity.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 6:46pm
Tim, those are good disks, a bit pricey and 24 grit would be nice but 36 will certainly tear right through. Is there a Harbor Freight around. These go a little quicker but the price is right and they get the job done.

As to attaching the floor to the stringers, It depends on how you design the system. I am usually trying to get additional strength out of the system by tying together. Additionally these boats bang pretty hard through the waves, a boat constructed with a floor screwed down to the stringers instead of as one bonded piece feels, sounds, and performs differently than a nautique.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 6:55pm

Tim, those are good disks, a bit pricey and 24 grit would be nice but 36 will certainly tear right through. Is there a Harbor Freight around. These go a little quicker but the price is right and they get the job done.

Well, as luck may have it there is- and they have a bunch in stock. I didnt even know H-F had retail stores. Good looking out, Joe!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 7:01pm
Dont get me wrong the harbor freight ones are not what I would go with if you could get some good industrial quailty ones in the 6 dollar each range, but buy two packs of the harbor freight ones and you will go a long way.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I assume go with the most aggressive grit that I can, right?

Not necessarily. I have found that a real coarse grit like the 24 wears out faster than say a 36. There are less abrasive particles the coarser you go so they get dull faster. I'd go with the 36. I don't get anything coarser than that anymore.

The only advantage a 24 may have is with real soft materials. It won't load up as fast.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 7:12pm
All good advice here. Looks like H-F has a bunch to choose from in the 24-80 grit range, so I may try a few different ones and see what works best. Lord knows Ill use them all eventually. Thanks guys!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 11:54am
I also liked the 36 grit. We don't have a H-F around here so I got mine at Lowe's. They lasted a good while for the purposes Joe mentioned and leave a great finished surface. I think their only weak spot is that green glass clogs them up quick, but a quick buzz on rough concrete will usually clean them up.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I think their only weak spot is that green glass clogs them up quick, but a quick buzz on rough concrete will usually clean them up.

Greg,
I'm surprised you don't have one of these:

They work great too. Plus, it saves the concrete!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 2:40pm
I have used the plap disk, they work well

Just need to be carefull when you get close to the original mat
because it chews up the mat faster that the resin !!!!!

I have found the thin disk, or diamond wheel cutting to about 1/8" above the original glass then grinding works well.

I am trying to figure out the best way to confine/collect the dust ???
I purchased a floor attachment for my shop vac to place near grinding work... hopefully it will suck in most of the dust

What do you others to to contain the dust ???
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 3:13pm
I am waiting til it is about 30 or 35* out and windy. I refuse to do this inside my shop.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:08pm
Well, I would not mind doing it outside but sub freezing Illinois prevents that this time of year.

I am doing it in my garage. Devil of a time keeping things clean.

Fire up my portable heater and "GIT ER DONE"

My wife did ask how much longer her new car had to sit outside ???

Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:14pm
I wont grind inside anymore- it makes too much of a mess. Cold or not, the BFN is getting pulled outside this weekend to get the final hull grinding complete.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:27pm
Tarp off the sides, open up the garage door and setup a fan to blow outside.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:33pm

Well, I would not mind doing it outside but sub freezing Illinois prevents that this time of year.

We did not even break zero on Tuesday. Some warm clothes under the tyvek suit make it not entirely unpleasant to do it outside.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

We did not even break zero on Tuesday. Some warm clothes under the tyvek suit make it not entirely unpleasant to do it outside.

And Charlie (Brady) has been outside on a roof for 2 weeks in the twin cities. Carharts and go to work!! His biggest problem is getting the acetylene to gasify and not spit liquid. He's running a big "rosebud" hard brazing 4" copper refrigeration lines/valves/manifolds for something like 400 tons of cooling!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:06pm
Ouch. We were windy too. We have been throwing on the Carhart's just to feed the horses.... I cannot imagine having to work all day in these conditions.   Although, it has been a balmy upper 20's today. Barely requires a jacket.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 9:49am
Pete, that's one of those things I always forget to order. I haven't seen them for sale around here and somehow they always get forgotten. I did remember once and they were out!

For belts I turn them around and they self clean pretty well, and the 36 grit doesn't hurt the driveway much.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 11:34am

For belts I turn them around and they self clean pretty well

It's nice that the belts have been coming through with the unidirectional splice in them for quite a few years but have you noticed they still put the direction arrow on them???

woodworker.com for the rubber cleaning blocks. BTW, I get so much from Woodworker's Supply that they've classified me in the "PRO" category. Different web site and pricing. I also have a Woodworkers Supply Visa card for the points!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

For belts I turn them around and they self clean pretty well

It's nice that the belts have been coming through with the unidirectional splice in them for quite a few years but have you noticed they still put the direction arrow on them???

woodworker.com for the rubber cleaning blocks. BTW, I get so much from Woodworker's Supply that they've classified me in the "PRO" category. Different web site and pricing. I also have a Woodworkers Supply Visa card for the points!

It's not really fair Pete that you live a stones throw from both Owl Hardwood and a Wooodworkers Supply Store. Man when I make a trek to those places I have to put aside 3-4 hours besides the time I spend staring at all the cool stuff.

I did just realize last week that I have a Harbor Freight store on my home from work, that could be a problem.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

It's not really fair Pete that you live a stones throw from both Owl Hardwood and a Wooodworkers Supply Store.

Owl yes as it's on my way home but no with Woodworkers Supply. That's online ordering! You must be thinking of another woodworker type store.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

It's not really fair Pete that you live a stones throw from both Owl Hardwood and a Wooodworkers Supply Store.

Owl yes as it's on my way home but no with Woodworkers Supply. That's online ordering! You must be thinking of another woodworker type store.

Right you are, I was thinking of woodcraft in palatine. Usually my round trip will include both stops.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic