NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dist/carb tuning question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 4:45pm
will Tim what he types and what you say are two different things and set for 24 @ 3000 is 24 total advance and you don't add in the base timing to the figure.

It's real easy to figure out the actual advance with a quality timing light and you can actual set the rpm with the right light as well so if you have not reach full advance by 3k then you have it all curved wrong but then again your just guessing because you or he didn't do the work and haven't verifiy the actual timing at all, you are going by what you where told so speak in terms that are relevent not that I get 24 more degrees of advance over base timing at 3k horse ***************, max, total, final advance for a stock cam at 36-38 degress BTDC will ping ping ping like no tomorrow. Again get your head out of the book and spec sheet and live in the real world with real perfomance all around not just out of the hole.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Chris, FWIW you didn't have a problem with the DUI when I bought it.

Don't have a problem with it it's just that you guys are leaving so much on the table by not doing it your self. Look at this way it sure sounds like Tim's and yours are curved exactly the same way, 24 degrees of advance is built in on both regardless of base setting but the odd thing is you have two completely different cam profiles and two completely different motors and since they are not apples to apples then how in the hell can the advance profiles be the same? How because you bought in to a bunch of BS, said that it's fine would look orginal never said that it would be set up correctly and running the wire the way you did was a big waist and thinking your going to get 14.5v to the coil all of the time is a big joke as well. Just keep a spare module on board and replace the cap often.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 4:58pm
Greg, just ignore Chris- he'll disagree with me no matter what I say, and since I like my DUI he has to say that its junk.

Set your base timing to 12 degrees, try the smaller jets, and report back.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 5:05pm
I was going to ask him who pissed in his corn flakes?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 5:11pm
sorry if you don't know the difference between total/final advance and built-in distributor advance two completely different things and when talking about dist advance you should be refering to actual advance on the motor and checking it while the motor is running not from some spec sheet joe blow provided.

Again it all goes back to the skill of the hand turning the wrenches you can either do it your self or get someone else 2000 miles away that will get you close, sorry you choose the later sorry you don't have the skill to do it your self, do you really think Doc would have went with the Unilite if he thought the DUI was better? Do you really? I don't. Do you really think you have more experince and first hand knowledge about the HEI distributor's design, functionalty and inner workings or ignitions systems in general than someone that actually worked on them for a living while they where still in production? some one that had to fix all of the little warrenty issue's that had to be fixed to improve the product? doubt it but then again I'm not a EE I don't focus on a small aspect of the big picture I have to look at the whole picture because it's the sum of the parts not some small electrical curcuit that doesn't move.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

sorry if you don't know the difference between total/final advance and built-in distributor advance two completely different things and when talking about dist advance you should be refering to actual advance on the motor and checking it while the motor is running not from some spec sheet joe blow provided.

I did verify TDC and have marked my balancer for 28 and 35 degrees. A well qualified friend told me how!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 5:32pm

I did verify TDC and have marked my balancer for 28 and 35 degrees. A well qualified friend told me how!

the well qualify friend should have had a quality timing light as that is the most accurate method to determind total advance at a given RPM and that is what is important. And the big mark and big notch are the best marks to keep lined up but then you have to have the tools for the job to do it right at least.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 6:07pm
Timing light in use sir!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 6:57pm
There were 2 gaskets on the PV...both of the new ones I bought came with 1. Maybe this was a problem?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 8:46pm
I put in the 71's and a 4.5 PV. It's better but still not right. It stumbles now at 3900-4000 instead of 3700. Maybe I should have put the 2.5 in it?

Should the breather hose be pluged when checking the vacuum...or is there not supposed to be any vacuum there at all?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 1:33am
The verdict is in...a 750 is entirely too large for my application. I put the edelbrock/weber 600 back on it and I have full throttle response, smooth idle at 600(550 in gear), and a smile to prove it!

3 cheers from Amy and I to the Boat Dr.!!!   

He has patiently walked me through the workings of a carb, and I now have a much better understanding of V/E. Doc, I told you wrong about the prop. I pulled the receipt, and it's a 14x14 with a 200 rpm cup that needs to be removed. That and the flame arrestor sticking up higher again are the only things to work out for the moment.

Thanks for everyone's input; oil change first thing in the morning, and I'll make sure to finish seating the rings tomorrow!
1988 BFN-sold

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 1:59am
Greg - I bet you sleep good tonight having this figured out!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 2:03am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Greg - I bet you sleep good tonight having this figured out!

Ya Mon!    
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 10:43am
Greg,

Don't jump in on having that cup removed from the prop . It was discovered in the early 60's that the cupping drastically reduced cavitation and is the reason for it. I'd continue tweaking the engine and then if needed have the prop re pitched or try another prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 11:31am
id be curious to see what your vacuum readings will be now, the smaller throat should increase the readings to where they should be, are you stuck with the carb? can you return? i think the doc hit the nail on the head, stock cam, no increase on intake air and the 600 would seem a touch small but it isnt.
I would think if you went with a hotter cam to where the valves opened taller and stayed open longer the 750 wouldve suited the engine fine.....its a fine line, glad you got her straightened out
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 3:11pm
I don't think I'll be stuck with it, but I can't get the guy on the phone. He may be out of town. If I do wind up stuck with it, I'll try to trade for a 650 and there may be another place or 2 around here that might want it. The carb I'm using now is mechanical advance and won't accept the factory flame arrestor...so I think I'll put it back the way the Meloons had it.

I think there's a lesson in that last statement somewhere...but with my thick head?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 10:38am
restriction creates vacuum, the writing was on the wall and the restriction is the throat of the carb, good call

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 1:52pm

Look at this way it sure sounds like Tim's and yours are curved exactly the same way, 24 degrees of advance is built in on both regardless of base setting but the odd thing is you have two completely different cam profiles and two completely different motors and since they are not apples to apples then how in the hell can the advance profiles be the same?

I think Chris is still onto something here, when mapping timing on a 425HP model, I was amazed at the final timing the engine liked. I would do a disservice spouting numbers, but it was markedly more than the SBF numbers I was used to (35-36 for a 351).

These two distributers having the exact same span is suspicious to me too.

It may run fine now, but I suspect there is untapped potential in the engine with enough research, patience and skeptacism in the dist/carb hardware to find it and sort it out.

I suggest find the initial the boat likes for a hard launch (usually the most it can take without a labored hot start)
find the final the boat likes (have someone drive while twising the dist till no positive affect, then pull a lttle back for a comfort margin, measure this timing. Compare to baseline for similare engines. Subtract the two, and set the span on the advance to this number. this optimizes the min and max. Then play with the curve after you correct some carburation.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Look at this way it sure sounds like Tim's and yours are curved exactly the same way, 24 degrees of advance is built in on both regardless of base setting but the odd thing is you have two completely different cam profiles and two completely different motors and since they are not apples to apples then how in the hell can the advance profiles be the same?

I think Chris is still onto something here, when mapping timing on a 425HP model, I was amazed at the final timing the engine liked. I would do a disservice spouting numbers, but it was markedly more than the SBF numbers I was used to (35-36 for a 351).

These two distributers having the exact same span is suspicious to me too.

It may run fine now, but I suspect there is untapped potential in the engine with enough research, patience and skeptacism in the dist/carb hardware to find it and sort it out.

I suggest find the initial the boat likes for a hard launch (usually the most it can take without a labored hot start)
find the final the boat likes (have someone drive while twising the dist till no positive affect, then pull a lttle back for a comfort margin, measure this timing. Compare to baseline for similare engines. Subtract the two, and set the span on the advance to this number. this optimizes the min and max. Then play with the curve after you correct some carburation.

why do all that like a real mechanic would when you all ready have the so called experts doing it for you at performance distributors where it was bought from.

why because they are un-educated in the skill of adjusting a dist. correctly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 2:09pm
For now it likes 14 degrees.

Just found out I can't return it, so I'll be looking to sell or trade it for a 650.

Thanks for the additional input and I'll do what has been suggested when I round up the carb.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 2:11pm
how much vacuum? get a reading at the same port and RPM, im curious, you were at 13 to 14 at 700 rpm before
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 9:17am
Eric, I'll try to get those #'s today, but I was using the port on the carb that is no longer there.

Think I found(with help) what I need...carb
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:39am

Eric, I'll try to get those #'s today, but I was using the port on the carb that is no longer there.

sorry try again the inlet is not the style you need.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:41am

The fuel inlet?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:42am

The fuel inlet?

no the AIR inlet
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:49am

The fuel inlet?

no the AIR inlet

You mean because it's a quadrajet replacement?

I have a quadrajet manifold...the original is as well.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:54am
Chris, if you know something, I wish you'd explain. The carb will ship today...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:56am
yes the inlet for the fuel why you are worried about getting a 650 to replace the 600 which will still flow 650 if you read the fine print on holley's site beats the hell out of me

But your inlet should be more like this style

carb
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:12pm
Thanks Chris, I appreciate your patience. I called and asked the tech guy and the pic may not be an exact match. He said it would be like the one you posted. If it's not right, maybe I'll have to switch the bowl.

As you say, it runs darn well with the 600...until I get a boat full of people. This is only my feeling, but comparing to the 750 it now wants a little more. The other thing is my cover won't close with the edelbrock and I don't want to raise it up any more.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:27pm
So we have a arrestor that is too talk, get a new one, modify the existing one, and we have a dist that isn't curved correctly and is way short on final advance and now you want to replace a carb again.

Sounds like you need to hire someone that know how to tune an engine and dial everything in because getting it close enough isn't working out for you too well. And jacking with the carb will never overcome the problems caused be the advance curve's profile, so unless you are willing to fix the curve profile your waisting your time d*cking with anything else.

because your loosing power on the top end because there isn't enough timing for the engine. Hel just for the fun of it get it started add about 4-6 degrees more timing then go run it and I bet it runs much better on the top end, ease into the throttle as now you might have too much timing for the lower rpm's and it might ping. But this will demonstrate and prove to you that you need more timing for the higher rpm's and the only way to get that is by change the advance curve profile ok?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic