NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My 87 Nautique won't start.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:46pm
Pete,
Is the point set opening? Remember you will only get the spark out of the coil when it opens up the ground side of the coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:10pm
For your reading pleasure:
http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/Ignition/CDI.html

I was hoping to cherry pick some wisdom out of that article and put it here but I find it all pretty confusing. There does seem to be some good info on points and the role of the condensor etc.
PNALEWAJK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PNALEWAJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 2:58pm
Hi Chris,

Sorry about the name. I wouldn't know what to look for as far as the ohms on the coil (not even sure what the "secondary side" is). As I said, I connected a working coil to the system, and that still didn't produce a spark when trying to jump it to a screwdriver. So, it seems like a bad connection somewhere...

I know this has got to be something simple, but I just don't know where to look.
Corvette Pete
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 2:39pm
Pete,
Do you have a ohm meter with a pretty high range? Ohm out the secondary side of the coil. Yes, you will get a small spark at the point set but a bigger one if the condensor is bad!!

BTW, SNobsessed is Chris and not "Joe"!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
PNALEWAJK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PNALEWAJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 2:26pm
Joe,

Of course there is spark at the points. Every time they open and close they will spark. That's probably voltage off the battery, my problem is that I'm not getting anything to the plugs... That would come off the coil...
Corvette Pete
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 12:50am
Pete - What do you mean when you say you have spark at the points? They aren't supposed to spark. Maybe you have a bad condenser.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
PNALEWAJK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PNALEWAJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 12:43am
I have a 1987, 2001 Ski Nautique, with a 351ci that I'm getting ready for the summer, but it won't start. It ran fine when I pulled it out in the fall. I've narrowed it down to there is no spark at the plugs. Going backwards, I cleaned the points, and have spark there now. The problem seem to be not getting spark out of the coil. If I unplug the coil wire for the distributor cap, and try to jump a spark off the coil wire.., I get nothing. I've cleaned the connections, but still no spark. I even pulled the coil out of my'61 Vette and tried that in the boat and got the same results...., nothing coming out of the coil!

I don't know what else to do. Anyone got any ideas...? Thanks,

Pete
Corvette Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic