NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition Coil Specs

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition Coil Specs
    Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:12pm
How much resistance should the windings of the ignition coil on my '86 PCM 351 have?
Andrew
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:52pm
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:10pm
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any specs for primary and secondary winding resistance... That's what I need! I just want to check that my coil is functioning properly. It's the oem coil attached to the oem points setup. I'm not getting good fire in the distributor. I suspect my batteries are a little low, but while they charge I just wanted to double check everything.
Andrew
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:40pm
Primary winding, 0.5 - 2 ohms ?? (+ ~1.3 ohm ballast resistor someone else said they had in their 89).

Should be lots of resistnace from primary to secondary ~10,000 ???
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 9:46pm
My primary = 1.8 ohms and secondary = 6.61 ohms

I'm running an Echlin Icr23 ballast resistor, so it is 1.3ohms, but I'm just measuring the windings, so the resistor isn't in the circuit....
Andrew
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:04pm
if the coil isn't shorted then there isn't a problem with it. Also it is not possible to measure the resistance from the primary to the secondary as they are not connected in any way. Also not sure how your coming up with a secondary winding reading on a canister coil to start with.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:13pm
Chris,
I think the primary and secondary windings in a coil share the same negative terminal?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by athhud athhud wrote:

secondary = 6.61 ohms

kilo scale?

If not, that sounds like way too little.

79 knows a lot about ignition systems, but I'm with Pete in that the secondary winding circuit has to be completed somehow...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:57pm
sorry boys they are two seperate windings inside of each other with a ferite(sp) core. the primary winding is energized and induction transfer's the charge to the secondary winding and to the plug. There is no physical connection betwwen the two. I'll have to do some checking as this may not be true for a cannister style coil, it's been a long time since those days, it is true for a HEI or coil for a Direct ignition system.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 3:07pm
Chris,
Do check it out. I actually did a search to find the diagram I posted. I wasn't too sure about how the windings were set up ether!!! Keep in mind that Adrew is checking a older canister style coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 3:10pm
Chris, you have sparked my intrest on this one.
How do they acheive the same funtion with a different wiring connection? Induction is the MAGIC that happens, explain ?
Can you teach an old dog some new tricks?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 3:14pm
What's this?

13.49 on the 20K scale = 13,490 ohms
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 3:35pm
I don't know about that Doc but here's my BS.

On a modern coil like what is used for a HEI dist. and on a DIS system you have a primary winding, and a secondary winding. The primary uses larger gauge wire and less turns for the coil compared to the secondary so I think we used 14-18 gauge on the primary side and like 41-43 gauge wire in the secondary side of the coil. these two coils are then place inside of one another primary being inside, secondary being outside and then a metal core is placed thru the center of the primary and then around the outside of the secondary, typically refered to as an E-lam as that is the shape of part of metal core which is a series of lam steel stacked up to a set thickness and welded together. The other section of the lamination for the metal core is the I-lam which is welded to the e-lam and creates a gap between the center section of the lamination. The welds are real easy to see on an HEI coil what isn't is the gap, but it's the same basic configuration hei or dis.

The primary winding is energzed by 12V's this builds a magnetic field in that coil, the coil colapes transfering the energy through the metal core to the secondary winding which in turn because of the finer gauge wire and additional turns of wire like 100:1 to 400:1 ratio's multiplys the current to an order of 40-50 Kv resulting in the spark at the plug. I believe on the HEI and a canister coil the windings share a common ground so that the plug fires but, on the DIS they do not and the ground is achieveg through the other plug attached to the coil pack, because one cylinder is under compression which, and don't ask me how, drops the resistance and fires that cylinder. clear as mud?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 3:40pm
HW if that is on the negitive side of the coil then that is the secondary side and about a mile of wire, you shouldn't have any reading across the coil tower and postive terminal if you do then it's shorted.
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:33pm
Thanks, Hollywood! I just discovered that my new fluke 88v throws a little "K" on the screen instead of moving the decimal... There is no telling how long it would have taken me to notice that if I wasn't looking for it.

I went out this morning to see if the battery charge solved my problem. I left the multimeter in the house, but by watching the spark I could tell it was still weak. There was no ignition taking place while turning the engine over either. I bypassed the ballast resistor (which should be happening in the solenoid anyway) and instantly got a strong spark. She fired up, I removed my jumper wire, and the engine continued to run smoothly. I switched it off and tried again. The coil is now throwing a strong spark every time... Why would it behave like this? Every connection is sparkling clean and tight! It's like the coil just needed some time to build up its strength.   
Andrew
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:42pm
how old is the condensor? the ballast resistor to? also does the outside of the coil have resistor printed on it? there are only two types of coils resistor and non-resistor, if you have a resistor style coil the ballast resistor is built in and the other ballast resister needs bypassed at the rear of the engine. Measuring the voltage at the coil will also tell you what you have.

hook up the meter to the terminals on the coil set it to read voltage turn key on for a secon read the meter if it reads less than 8V bypass the ballast resistor.
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:49pm
The ballast resistor is only about 6 months old. The coil requires an external resistor (it is the original coil). If I remember correctly, I replaced the condenser in 2005, but I'm checking the spark at the coil not at the plugs, so the condenser doesn't fit into the equation.
Andrew
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:52pm

The ballast resistor is only about 6 months old. The coil requires an external resistor (it is the original coil). If I remember correctly, I replaced the condensor in 2005, but I'm checking the spark at the coil not at the plugs, so the condensor doesn't fit into the equation.

wrong
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:03pm
Please educate me.
Andrew
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:08pm

I'm checking the spark at the coil not at the plugs, so the condenser doesn't fit into the equation.

Chris,
Andrews got the high tension wire pulled off the distributor. The "spark" isn't even getting to the condensor yet!

EDIT: Wow! I sure wasn't thinking when I made this statement!
Chris, you're correct - the neg. side of the coil goes to the points/condensor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:22pm
For peace of mind, I just tested the condenser and it is functioning properly ;)
Andrew
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:22pm
what energizes the field in the coil to cause the field to collasp and create that spark at the high tension lead, It doesn't spark just because you hook voltage to it.

Bottom line if you have 9V at the coil terminals with the key on then the ballast is fine if you don't you have to fix the wiring issue. If you have 9V at the coil and are still getting a piss poor spark then you have point and condensor issues or a bad coil end of story.

and since it's the orginal coil guess what my money's on.

So how far from ground is the lead to cause the spark 4 inches 1 inch half of an inch? because that will change the look of the spark as well.

So when you win the 500 with your ignition let me know so we'll have something in common to talk about.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

So when you win the 500 with your ignition let me know so we'll have something in common to talk about.

Andrews just looking for some help troubleshooting his problem. Lets not go backwards here Chris.

Andrew,
What Ohm readings are you getting off the coil. Did you ever locate the exact specs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:45pm
I don't know what the 500 is, but I'm pretty sure I'm not competing in it.... I do have blond hair and green eyes. Do we have that in common? Can a bad coil work intermittently.

As for distance between the lead and the ground, I just leave about an 1/8" gap and look at the intensity of the spark. When it was weak, it was a small orange arc. Now it is bright and blue like it is supposed to be.
Andrew
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:50pm
OK step by step

Verify you have atleast 9v at the coil with key on.

next get it started use the jumper again if needed.

Set the dwell

Set timing

Adjust carb as needed.

if the dwelll isn't right then your not going to get a good spark without extra juice to the coil. So if you can't get it started then use a feller gauge and get the dwell close then refine that setting once it's started so that it's at 20 degress set timing at 6-8 degrees.

d*cking with the resistance is a waiste of time the coils either good or it's not end of story the points are either good or not same with the condensor.

So if you have the correct voltage at teh coil, the dwell is set correctly and the timing is set correctly and it's not working properly then you have bad parts somewhere within the ignition system

BTW INDIANAPOLIS 500 MEMORIAL WEEK-END RING A BELL?
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:50pm
Pete, thanks for the defense, but my skin is far too thick to have my feelings hurt by an internet meanie...

I never found the specs, but the readings are the same as I originally posted. (just move the decimal on the secondary reading a few places to the right )
Andrew
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:55pm
BTW the spark should jump atleast a half inch.
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:57pm
Alright, I'm gonna go adjust my idle mixture screws and toss in some smaller jets to keep the fuel from extinguishing my spark. Then I'm gonna close the gap to .009 to make sure it's getting there. Do you think I should use some of those spark plugs with the fancy prongs as well?
Andrew
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:03pm
Andrew,
I don't know about the green eyes but Chris does sort of have blond hair! Right is Chris and left is Billy (boatdr).

pbrainard@wistool.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:05pm
Great! I was really afraid that we wouldn't have anything in common and would have to cease communication!
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic