NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Used Ski Boat Market

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Used Ski Boat Market
    Posted: June-24-2008 at 8:38pm
I have owned a 1989 Ski Supreme for about 3 years. It has been a good boat, but I live in Texas where the wind blows all of the time. I am tired of getting the hell beat out of me everytime I go to the lake and we dont ski as much as we used to. I am thinking of buying something with a v hull design that will chop through the chop. I found a boat that I want, but I am afraid to buy it because I dont want to be stuck with 2 boats in this slow economy. What is the general feeling about the used ski boat market right now? I watch Ebay and have for several years...it seems like these old boats are going for less than they used to. What do you guys think a 1989 Ski Supreme is worth? I have tons of new parts on it. It is a clean boat. I have $8K in it and hope to get my money back, but I realize it may not bring but $6K-$7K. My fear is that it wont sell and I will own 2 boats.

Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 9:39pm
JB, Here's a Ski Supreme on ebay. The bidding ended with 0 bids. Ski Supreme
Hope it helps.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 9:52pm
At least here in California, market is soft, particularly for the older boats. I've seen lots of supras, supremes, and centurions from the 80s going for 4-7K. I've also seen a lot of 80s Ski Nautiques in the 5K-8K range. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 11:55am
Thanks for the feedback. It is a shame that the used boat market is so soft.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by jb_dallas jb_dallas wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. It is a shame that the used boat market is so soft.

JB, every market is soft! The world is soft right now.. My suggestion is hang onto it until things improve, and feel gratefull that it's not a $50K dollar boat you want to spin....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 12:30pm
new market down 8 percent on ski boats
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 1:03pm
On older boats, anything not a Correct Craft is going to be really soft. Only Correct Craft has collectability. I think Brian's right on with his $4-$7k. We've got a really nice 88 Malibu Skier with a PCM 240. Everything about the boat is nice, but it has no collectability. It would definately bring a few grand less than a comparable SN. Malibu folks are only into the new boats and don't care about the old. Ski Supreme is a pretty obscure brand.
jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 4:29pm
I think I would take $7K...maybe as low as $6K, but I cant take $4K. I saw one just like mine last year sell for over $8000 on Ebay...but not this year.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 5:25pm

I have $8K in it and hope to get my money back, but I realize it may not bring but $6K-$7K. My fear is that it wont sell and I will own 2 boats.

Thanks

your pretty optimistic on your price concidering NADA rates it at about 6K tops
jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 8:01pm
I probably am optimistic. I have seen the price on NADA. If I cant get $6K I will probably keep it and continue to get the hell beat out of me on these lakes. Its a bad time to sell.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 8:10pm
JB,
Just sell the thing , take the grand hit, and get what you want.. No one gets out of any boat what they put in,,,, ever.. Hell the dental work and spinal disc repair is worth a hell of a lot more than a thousand bucks...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 12:01pm
I would be taking more than a grand hit...I have $8K in it. From what everyone is saying, I may not get over $5K.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 12:28pm
Last spring (a year ago) 1989 supra, great hull, great upholstry, some rotting wood (not stringers) no cover, some rust on trailer, needed several breakers, needed blower. Asked $7,800, got $7,400. Just an example.

(Edit: Paid $10,500 in 1996, minus $2,500 sale of old boat = $8,000 in it. Cant complain about $600 for 11 years use!)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 1:05pm

I have $8K in it.

You must be busy with the calculator and not skiing to know how much money you have in a boat. Breakdown that $8k would you? Perhaps you spent too much on it to begin with?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 2:18pm
get a new boat there Kevin? a miamian?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 2:20pm
Funny you would be the one to ask.

Thinking about "upgrading".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 2:25pm
nice boat but the beam seems a little narrow for the length of it.
jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 5:01pm
I would imagine anyone with good financial sense has a idea of how much they have tied up in their boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 5:14pm
jb,

Mojo comes up with the grand because you were willing to sell for 6, so if you sell at 5 that's a grand.

If you're selling for a grand less than you expected, you probably are also going to pay a grand less than you expected, so it may well be a wash.

Even if you've spent 8K on the boat in the three years you've owned it, it's not typically reasonable to expect to get it all back. If you spent just 50 hours per year on the boat, and you sell the boat for 5K, that's only $20 bucks an hour for the boat, which is pretty cheap.

By comparison, my boat was about 55K up and in, and it's probably worth around 32K in this market, maybe a little more. I've got about 500 hours on it, which is $46 an hour .

Obviously sell it for as much as you can get, but if you only get 5K, doesn't sound to me like it would be so terrible.

I think I'd tend to agree with HW, most people don't know and don't keep track of how much they have tied up in a boat. When you start to figure impellars, oil changes, props, repairing upholstery, blah blah blah, not to mention gas, it can get a bit overwhelming. I think most people just focus on the fun they have.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 5:14pm
BTW, I was in Lewisville TX yesterday, and the wind was blowing pretty good. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 5:24pm
I keep a log and execpt for gas, know every cent I've put into any boat I have. You can't really charge oil changes or tune ups against what you have in a boat, that's just normal operating expenses. I look at it as price/year. If you only get $5k for your boat, that's $1,000/year. New boat owners like BK are in at $3,290/year. If you really want a different boat and you've got to sell your boat, I'd say you're not doing too badly.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 5:38pm
people have a tendency if you finance a boat or car, say you pay 20k for it and you finance you end up paying 30k over the life, its a factor you need to include
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

people have a tendency if you finance a boat or car, say you pay 20k for it and you finance you end up paying 30k over the life, its a factor you need to include

people do have that tendency. I do not. No cash, no boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 6:20pm
Those are some good points...about the financing and amount spent per year. I guess I am a tightwad. To break it down, I bought the boat for $6K. I overlooked the rub rail..the boat was coming apart near the drivers seat...an alum rub rail installed cost me $650. New raw water pump, new alternator, new bilge pump, rebuilt carb, carpet, blowers, ect..now I have almost $8k invested. Now that I think about it..almost everything is new, maybe I should keep it.

I paid cash..but that is easy because mine is a cheap boat. I am looking at the 16' Donzi on Ebay in Carrollton, TX item #270248567844.   I looked at it in person 2 days ago. It is a nice boat.

BKH, were you in Lewisville for business? I ski primarily on Lake Lewisville.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 6:26pm
Well, I'm hoping it was for business. Job interview. I believe it went well, but we shall see. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 6:34pm
JB

Nobody can say they've put anything "into" a boat to bring it up to spec, drivable, safe etc. Any boat listed lets say in NADA is expected to have the boat in good overall condition to get that value for it... If you already paid the average retail price, and had to add a few grand to bring it back to spec (of life), that money is a wash. It doesn't mean your going to get it back out on the open market. Then you have to remember these toys are depreciating assets..

What I'm really confused about is:
1. Now you're looking at what most would consider a pretty expensive boat. Donzi's are a lot more than Ski Supremes, so you're not that tight..
2. You're thinking of going to a 16 foot boat on that massive lake and you don't think you're going to knock your filling lose ???

Hell, take that Donzi out on a windy day.... What you really need is a 97' Cobalt 252 haha..

Moj
PS: Nice hour/cost analogy Brian !!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 6:35pm
Moving from beautiful CA to Lewisville ...thats a change of scenery. I live in Lewisville, so I can tell you more than you want to know about this area. We (pretty much Texas in general)are one of a handful of places in the nation almost unaffected by the housing crunch. According to the city of Lewisville, neighborhood comps, and other sources, my house had an INCREASE in value of about 8%-9% in the last year.
jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 6:39pm
Mojo

I am thinking that the Donzi v hull design will be much more smooth in the chop than my boat, regardless of its length.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 6:53pm
No move JB. Company HQ'd in TX. I would run the CA business. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 7:14pm

I paid cash..but that is easy because mine is a cheap boat. I am looking at the 16' Donzi on Ebay in Carrollton, TX item #270248567844.   I looked at it in person 2 days ago. It is a nice boat.

Did you take a test drive in this boat yet? You're going to get JACKED much worse than that Supreme!

It's already over $8k already. Looks like a really nice boat, but no comparison to a direct drive ski boat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic