Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1970 ski pylon weight

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 ski pylon weight
    Posted: August-14-2015 at 12:59pm
Purchasing, or thinking about purchasing a ski pylon out of a late sixties CC. I am not sure of the length, because I think there is a longer one and a shorter one. I asked the seller what the length is but haven't heard back. But generally, does anyone know what an average one weighs? For shipping purposes. Thanks!
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7613&sort=&pagenum=1
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 1:32pm
A 77 SN pylon is 21.3 lb. I think sixties pylon are thinner so would be less weight.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 2:15pm
Not much less... They're steel instead of aluminum. Even the early pylons are weighty. You need a long one for a big boat, better confirm which it is.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 2:31pm
and make sure it's the right one for your boat, clevis versus cup. You should have one or the other in the bilge. I'm guessing cup.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 3:40pm
41lbs is i remember correctly sold one 2 years ago.

Cost me $29.82 to ship from 45209 to Hewitt NJ.

It was from a 1968 Mustang.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 12:30am
Thanks guys for the info! I hope it is high enough for my Wildcat.
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

and make sure it's the right one for your boat, clevis versus cup. You should have one or the other in the bilge. I'm guessing cup.

Can't find the pictures of the Wildcat floor/bilge sans engine. The boat never had a pylon so the shop doing the stringers said they will add necessary additional construction for adding a pylon, they said they need the pylon first, to build a base for it. So not sure about clevis vs cup.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 9:04am
Originally posted by skyfuzz skyfuzz wrote:

Thanks guys for the info! I hope it is high enough for my Wildcat.

Robert,
The 60's pylons were steel as Tim mentioned. They were fabricated from pipe with different diameters. the largest at the bottom then smaller at the top to accept the ring and finger. Unless you get real lucky and find one with the extra height for the Wildcat, I feel your best option is to fabricate a new one. Take a look at the diary's for Mustangs and Cudas looking for a pylon, The bottom connection at the keel would have been the clevis and then at the floor was simply a reinforced hole. The next hunt would then be for a ring and finger. You are correct that there wouldn't be anything in the bilge. Back then, most of the hulls were coming in with the pylons being a dealer installed item. I think I must have installed at least 8 of them back in the days at Watercraft Sales.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 10:41am
Robert,
If you fabricate a pylon, a rod end welded at the bottom and then a T shaped anchor with a hole in it glassed in at the keel is basically what CC used.

Blank forged rod end:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 11:30am
Okay thanks. I'm a little confused as to where to read posts about Mustangs/Barracuda pylons under the diaries...maybe I'm still sleepy or I haven't enuf coffee in me yet....did you mean under the forums sections. Again, I looked in boat Maint section and searched Mustang ski pylon but no results which gave me an explanation. If this pylon I'm thinking about getting isn't tall enuf, I guess the shop can fabricate a new one using steel pipe with securing it to keel using that graphic you showed of the 'blank forged rod end.'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by skyfuzz skyfuzz wrote:

Okay thanks. I'm a little confused as to where to read posts about Mustangs/Barracuda pylons under the diaries..'

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Take a look at the diary's for Mustangs and Cudas looking for a pylon,

Click on the diary section, enter the years and model.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 2:35pm
Your wildcat looks similar to my marauder and mine has the cup glassed to the floor and that accepts the 1" rod that went thru the steel pipes all the way up to the ring and finger. Art cozier sent me a few pictures of one but I can't find them.
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 3:47pm
Thanks Marauder...happen to know the length of your pylon? If I can't find one long enuf, I will have shop fabricate one. I'm currently looking at one to buy off a Barracuda but owner has not let me know the length of it yet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

cup glassed to the floor

I feel you meant to say the keel in the bilge???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 1:11pm
yes pete that is correct. my bad. I fabbed one for extended pylon use only. it looks nothing like the original. but I can certainly measure the length. I posted a picture in my "marauder 19" thread. sorry but I don't know how to hyper link you there so maybe try a search.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 8:47pm
Mine measures 40" from keel to top of pylon. That puts the top just higher than the motor box.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic