NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

green boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: green boat
    Posted: May-25-2008 at 12:06am
Hi does anyone know whether my guacamole green 68 skylark is fern green or maybe autumn green   i looked through the brochures and would like to match the boat fairly close when i paint but cant seem to sort out which it is .i couldnt find ugly green either.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 12:17am
Peter, I can't find a picture of your boat. Not even in th Diaries. Weren't you at one time having a problem getting it in the Diaries?

The Fern green is darker and is more of a green whereas the Autumn is lighter and had a tint of yellow to it. Check under one of you step pads for a closer to original color. Are you painting? I thought at one time you were going to re gel coat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 2:58am
Here you go, Pete: 1968 Skylark

Im curious which green is which as well. If you know what color my Skier is, Id love to know. I think its the same color as Phil's '70 Barracuda.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 5:31pm
thanks yeah thats my boat it is in the diaries . i used the previous owners pics . at this point if i have time between the new stringers and transmission i would only be able to paint it this yr . i tried to link that pic to my forum but i must not be doing it right
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 7:57pm
Peter (and Tim), Well the first picture sitting at rest in the lake, is the Fern.

Tim, the second picture is Phil's Cuda? It's the Autumn. You can see the hint of yellow in it.

Peter, Why are you painting?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 10:26am
Phil's Cuda

Sorry pete but this was my Best of show vote at GL last year.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Sorry pete but this was my Best of show vote at GL last year.

Alan, Don't be sorry! Some people just don't have good taste when it comes to picking boats!! Seriously, I didn't vote for myself ether. I never do. Didn't Phil come late to the reunion? I didn't see much of him or his boat. I'm glad we are having the Friday get together this year so we can see more of the boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Peter (and Tim), Well the first picture sitting at rest in the lake, is the Fern.

Tim, the second picture is Phil's Cuda? It's the Autumn. You can see the hint of yellow in it.

Peter, I hope you dont have to paint! That Fern is a terrific color- and rare.

Pete, the pic I posted is my '72 Skier. Same color as Phil's, I believe. We've always called it pea green, though Autumn sounds much nicer.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 8:11pm
thanks guys   fern it is , everyone in my area that supplies glass paint and gel coat feel that imron in fern is the best answer over gel coat. anyone know the ups and downs for either process?     yikes by the way my velvet drive quote came back its $900 to just rebuild or to upgrade to a heavier 71 series is $1300    HELP       
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 8:17pm
Peter, im confused- why do you want to paint it? Whats wrong with the gelcoat?

The gel is very thick and hard, and will be much more durable than any paint.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 8:49pm
Peter, I'm primarily a wood boat owner but have the Tique for the wife and kids for their day to day use. Have you ever owned a varnished or painted boat? Lots of work and you need to take lots of precautions on even tying them up to a pier. Even though great advances have been made in high end paint, Tim is correct that the gel is just thicker, harder and consiqently more durable.
You should also be aware that there isn't a paint (excluding bottom paints) that is recommended to stay in the water for more than 48 hours.
BTW, Imron is old school. It was the very first poly type paint and has great success. The people you have been talking to may be just very familier with it and are comfortable with it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 9:04pm
I'm with Pete and Tim on the classicness (is that a word?) of that dark green. Years back I wasn't big on it nor did I like refrigerators or ranges or carpet in that same color. But it's coming full circle. Glad to hear you're going to stick with it Peter. The green '70 Mustang (Diaries) that Rodney and I have came to us somewhat faded but with some sanding and compounding came back great and good enough to take a 3rd-in-class trophy at Orlando several yrs ago.   

As far as the names of the color(s), I'm not completely sure we're on it yet Pete. I'm wondering if Tim's and Phil's boats aren't actually Inca Gold and the olive/avocado shade is the Autumn green, as both of those colors were listed in the 71 Brochure, but no other greens. I went for a quick search of Inca Gold as a color and found this site. The background looks surprisingly close to the boat color in question. http://www.portholeauthority.com/thenewtbird/ours/IG.html

So, in the case of Peter's older Skylark, I'm inclined to think its Autumn. I've seen another shade of light green on a Cuda that looked nice and was just light green, and finally found a boat like it in the
'68 Brochure. I think it might be the Fern Green, since Autumn Green is carried on into the 71 Brochure as mentioned above and the dark green was definitely made up thru that time frame. FWIW.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 10:23pm
How about contacting Correct Craft with your serial #'s and have them look up what color it is?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 11:00pm
I'd never seen a ski boat CC in that dark color until Peter's boat was posted on CCF. It was a popular color on the Freeports back in the day. I never liked it much back then, but on these smaller inboards, they look good in any color. How do you deal with scratches and gouges though?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 11:10pm
guys my gel coat is pretty played out . it is faded and maybe i could get some of it back but most of it is very transparent right into the glass you can see all the cloth pattern of the boat structure , either i will need to paint as close as i can to the original or will have to find a way to re gel in the color i have
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

guys my gel coat is pretty played out . it is faded and maybe i could get some of it back but most of it is very transparent right into the glass you can see all the cloth pattern of the boat structure , either i will need to paint as close as i can to the original or will have to find a way to re gel in the color i have

Peter, Try bringing the existing gel back before you go to the extent of paint or a re gel. The roving (cloth pattern) you are seeing was the norm for a CC through into the late 70's. I was actually told by a Meloon one time that seeing the roving through the gel was proof of a high strength quality hull! CC used the roving instead of cloth against the gel as a first layer of glass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 12:21am
This is a 71 skier in original green.

Tim D
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 11:55am
Tim D, per CC's list of colors, I still don't think that's green, but maybe I'm color blind.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 2:52pm
Restoring the gel coat is far better than painting, but what do you do when there are a lot of scratches and deep gouges down to the fiberglass? If the hull is in tough shape, it seems like filling the gouges and painting maybe the only practical solution isn't it?

Peter, I called you last night. I'll try you again tonight.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Restoring the gel coat is far better than painting, but what do you do when there are a lot of scratches and deep gouges down to the fiberglass? If the hull is in tough shape, it seems like filling the gouges and painting maybe the only practical solution isn't it?

Peter, I called you last night. I'll try you again tonight.

Bruce, Which Peter?

Glass with deep gouges are filled just like you would prep for a paint job but then instead of spraying paint, you spray a polyester gel coat. The biggest difference is after the spray job. Gel doesn't like to be sprayed so you end up with a VERY orange peeled surface. This requires lots of hard block wet sanding to level out and then of coarse a buff job. The re gel requires the additional man hours but you end up with a new boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 3:41pm
Pete, you're Pete, Peter1234 is Peter. I looked at his boat last summer. He's got some scratches and gouges to deal with, but if they can be repaired rather than painted, that is the best way to go.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, you're Pete, Peter1234 is Peter. I looked at his boat last summer. He's got some scratches and gouges to deal with, but if they can be repaired rather than painted, that is the best way to go.

Sounds like he needs some spot gelcoat repairs, and a good wetsand+buffing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic