Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 SN Owners...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 SN Owners...
    Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:59am
Hey guys.... MM, Jbear, on the 1980, do you have any idea what the draft of these boats are? My boat lift is the type that you drive into the dock area with the lift sitting on the ground, then once the boat is in the correct position, you lift the boat out of the water. My concern is with the water being low right now, how much clearance do I need? It's not a drive on type of lift. Is 12 inches deep enough for the boat to float onto, then lift out of the water??

Thanks for any input.   
Heath
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:10am
Heath,

Used to have an 80' and I believe they draft 18" although the brochure reads 21" not under power. If your lift is like a Shorestation which sits under the water you may need a few inches more depth then the draft to clear the lift.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:58am
12" of water surface -> bunk top *might* be enough, w/o any extra weight in the boat but that is still really close.

Doesn't draft include the underwater gear? These won't matter, so I guess you can subtract this from the draft to find out how much depth you need.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 11:24am
way to little depth to work properly need about 18"-24".

keep in mind that even though the bottom of the frame work is on the bottom the bunks are going to be atleast 6" higher or more.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 11:58am
FWIW, if you barely have enough water to get it on the lift.....what are you going to do if you have it on the lift and the water goes down another few inches? Please, dont ask how I know about this problem!. Boats look very funny hanging above ground.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:28pm
With 12" of water depth, I agree no way but with 12" over the bunks, I don't think it would be a problem. I too have seen boats stranded on lifts after the water goes down that even 4 people couldn'd get off. In a case like that, the lift needs to be jetted (a water pump with a straight pipe on the discharge hose) down deeper into the lake bottom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 1:40pm
Pete, I would try lowering the cradle/boat onto a raft/row boat first to take some weight off then drag it out deeper.

I've also seen boats stranded, unfortunately never watched a rescue attempt though.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 2:21pm
I think 18-24 sounds about right when driving at idle, but I would be very careful about using a lift this time of year, a few days of hot, dry weather and the water will drop before you know it. We are having the same problems on conway,if we dont get some rain very soon we wont be able to get to the sandbar.
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 2:38pm
If you can't get to the sandbar, that means no pictures! I'm praying for rain!
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:18pm
..thanks for the responses guys....the water depth is about 3 feet, but I have roughly 12"-14" of water between the bunks and the surface of the water. I'm going to do some more measuring. The boat is on the trailer now but I wanted to get it in the water this weekend and leave it in the boathouse. MM is right, we need rain in Florida badly...if not for the boats, for the sandbar pictures!
Heath
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by hspore hspore wrote:

..thanks for the responses guys....the water depth is about 3 feet, but I have roughly 12"-14" of water between the bunks and the surface of the water.

3', that should be plenty. What kind of lift do you have?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

3', that should be plenty. What kind of lift do you have?

Agreed. 3' is about all the depth we ever have where our lifts sit. We've had both vertical and cantilever lifts and havent had a problem.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:34pm

Pete, I would try lowering the cradle/boat onto a raft/row boat first to take some weight off then drag it out deeper.

Kevin, I seem to remember seeing a Powers Lake picture of a shorestation that you needed to use a row boat to get to because it was so far out in the lake! Was that yours? I'm talking about leaving it next to the pier and by jetting you will gain another 6 to 8".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:45pm
We only go about 20' off shore to the front legs.

Sinking a lift just seems like it would be very difficult to get it back up, and be able to set it again the following season without slowly sinking in again.

The pontoon boats that some marinas use to install lifts have hydraulic arms on the bows, wonder how much weight they could lift. Possibly get enough of the back of a boat off the lift to push it the rest of the way off?
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:49pm
Please let it rain we can't go with out sand bar updates. Plus I don't want any CC's stranded.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 5:55pm

We only go about 20' off shore to the front legs.

Sinking a lift just seems like it would be very difficult to get it back up, and be able to set it again the following season without slowly sinking in again.

Kevin, Up in the Three Lakes area it is done all the time. To get it out, they will pop right up after you put a jon boat or even a aluminum fishing boat under the cradle and reverse the lift. The following season the holes from the jetted legs are gone. We are fairly lucky though, that our water levels don't vari more than about 8". This year like a lot of areas it is at it's lower level. The people that end up jetting usually have larger deep V's, short piers and sallower water

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:52pm
Heath: Just got on late so no sense in me commenting, you already got lots of answers.
Agree we need some rain here. You can't even get a boat off the ramp at Lake Shipp in Winter Haven where we usually go.

Do your rain dance!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic