NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what’s wrong in this picture?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what’s wrong in this picture?
    Posted: February-18-2007 at 8:05am

This may be to simple for everyone! Actually I'm just trying the photobucket posting (my first picture) and thought I would post a picture of my Tique when I got it from the previouse owner. What is wrong?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 8:26am
The pylon is backwards and the mirror is angled toward the driver's seat.I guess once the tow rope slips off there's not much to look at back there. Nice picture. Farmer
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 8:44am
There's no girls in bikinis, please try again.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 9:26am
Yup Farmer you got it! The pylon is installed backwards. When I picked up the boat, I didn't notice it untill I got home. I knew it would be one of our older members who would see it right away. It's funny to see the younger people get in a boat with a ring and finger and have no idea of how to attach the rope. But the younger people know how to use a computer better than I do too! Yes, I was quite happy to figure out how to and manage to get a picture posted. Now the big challange is if I can remember how to do it again.

The mirror is in the proper position. It's just like the outside Rear view mirror on a car that must be angled towards the driver.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:16am
not sure but the speedo isn't correct for the year of boat either isn't it? not sure if they used the same one the SN's did or not.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:46am
The other problem with the picture is that the boat is not in the water.

Nor is it behind a tow vehicle headed to the water.

Come on Spring!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:49am
79, It was just the pylon. The speedos were the same in the Nautique and the Tique but the Nautique came with 2 on the dash. Extras were mounted on ether the engine box or the fibergla$$ panel in front of the gas tank. They would be used for the observer for competition use.

79, nice nautique.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:02am
8122,I agree with you 79 has a first cla$$ boat in every way,sometimes his info is a little suspect..........boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:11am
Speaking of ring and finger style pylons, I have never heard anyone come up with a reason why they were changed to the current design. From a manufacturing standpoint, the new design is alot easyier to make. Any one know for sure?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:24am

Pete, what's with the "older member" crack?
I checked your profile and I'm a whole gestation period younger than you.Nice interior in the picture.Wish my mustang looked as nice. Do you still own the Dunphy? I have a 1958 Dunphy Surf Rider that awaits it's turn in the restoration line.   Farmer
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:16pm
Yeah some of young guys knew what was wrong just slow getting online this morning. I am 26 and I ahve seen the ring and finger before. When I was little my dad had a 79 SN with the fibergla$$ CC trailer. Was mad as hell when mom made dad sell it to buy the property that we later moved to when I was twelve.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:43pm
pete I still would question the speedo being correct, the face is not correct or it isn't the same as they use on the SN's most that I have seen are blackfaced dials that have an adjustment feature on the bottom, both of which are not on your speedo, again this is based on a '77 using the same as a '79 and if that is correct then the speedo's are not correct either. Regardless it's a nice ride and good color choice too.

ok went back and checked the ref section and they are correct and they are different for a 77 and 79
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 1:03pm
8122, nice looking boat. I actually noticed it when it was on ebay, and posted it here for everyone to see: Tique

(Its also still listed in the diaries here)

I really like what was done with the interior skins as well as the exterior vinyl lettering. I have a few questions- if you dont mind sending me an email, Id appreciate hearing from you: TRBenj@gmail.com
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 1:05pm
It looks like there is a set screw on there, can you turn it that way? or do you have to turn the whole pole?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 2:07pm

Farmer, Yeh I guess we're not that old!! Just feel that way sometimes when I read the younger guys posts. It brings back memories that seem to be along time ago.

Here's the X55 again. Always glad to here about a fellow Dunphy owner.

79, I too checked the ref. section and really couln't find a clear enough shot showing the speedos. Glad you could see or find it. To my knowledge it is the original speedo but also keep in mind CC's consistency problems back then.

Eric, I had to remove the whole pylon to recarpet so I turned the whole thing. While it was out, I chucked it up in the lathe and renewed its brushed finish. It was pretty bad as CC doesn't know what annodizing is used for! Down close it it's base there are some deep pits that won't come out unless I were to take a .020 cut on it. I simple took the coarse Scotchbrite to it. I also put stainless bolts from the flange to the floor replacing the plated (rusted) steel ones from the factory. It's also when I found the carbon steel pin and socket to the keel in real bad shape!

Tr, I'll email you. Oh, and thanks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 2:17pm
8122, Ill keep an eye out for that email.

Regarding the speedo, I believe this is the style Airguide that '79 is referring to. This is from a '78 Tique, which I a$$ume to be original. Not sure which year they made the switch, but I have seen the same style you have on boats from the early '70's.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 8:21pm
if you look at the '77 brouchers it's clear that the white face without the adjustment screw is correct, might have been the last year for that style, what Tim list is was talking about, hell stang should have been al over me,
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 8:25pm
Pete, your Dunphy looks great.I have a DVD that shows how the plywood dunphys were made.It's a great video.A guy by the name of Fred Pospeschil sells the DVD with tons of info.   Farmer
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 9:51pm

This is a closer picture of the speedometer that is correct for your boat this was last used in 1977 it is an airguide model 712-b and has kilometers on the outside of the dial and mph on the inside.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:01pm
79, do you speak as well you type??
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:22pm
Hey Rob/Tribal. Good to see you post. Where you been? BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:26pm
Thread jack; Brian can you call me? I am having trouble posting the pics from yesterday. I have been fooling with it fir an hour and just cannot get it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:44pm
John,
I hear you got some engine work done by some famous people.
Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 7:34am
Tribal150, hey thanks for the info on the speedo. Model #'s and pictures are always good to have and put into the ref.folder.

Farmer, I do have Fred's CD. It's a fantastic resource of the Dunphy boats. The part showing the making of the ply (layers of wood veneer) hulls is the hot molded phenolic resin cured in a retort process. They had very good success with it and even sold the raw hulls to other boat companys. The size was limited though because of the size of the retorts at the time. The X55 was a last ditch effort to pull the company out of bankrupcy. It is not the hot molded hull but rather scarf joined plywood on a conventional wooden boat type frame.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic