Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing 351W with 350 Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fishyflorida View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyflorida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing 351W with 350 Questions
    Posted: March-02-2006 at 11:51am
Before I start, let me say I don't want to start any Ford/Chevy loyalty discussion; just looking for the facts.
I have a tired 351W (right rotation) that I am considering replacing with a Mercruiser MPI 300HP 350 with FWC. It has 255 hours on it and the boat it was in was in a traffic accident while being trailered. I know I would need to rotate the tranny ring for the left rotation, get a different engine/tranny adapter, and get a LH prop, but wondering what other costs or problems this might entail. The engine I can get for $700, so at this point it seems that the parts to convert, along with the engine would be less that redoing the current RWC 351W. Anyone who did this? What other problems / issues came up? This is for a Fish Nautique, by the way. Thanks!!
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 8:19pm
I ripped the old 302 out of the 76 Mustang 17 and put in a new 350 vortec. The biggest problem I had was space. There is no room and it barely fits under the cover. I also had to fabricate new throttle cable bracket. The mounts were direct PCM conversions, so no trouble there. Since you had a 351, it will prob fit fine.
The other issue to consider is the wiring since its probably different. Also make sure the risers will be clear for your exhaust hose hookup.
Im not familiar with that hull, so others may add some stuff I might of missed. A good running complete engine for $700 to me is a heck of a deal. Depending on how many hours on the existing one, it could be a toss-up on whats easier or cheaper.
                             Jeff.....
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 7:40pm
From the Velvet drive manual;
"IT SHOULD BE REALIZED THAT THAT INDEXING THE PUMP FOR OPPOSITE ROTATION DOES NOT CAUSE OUTPUT SHAFT ROTATION TO BE REVERSED, but it does permit the transmission to be used behind an opposite rotating engine."

So at least you won't need to buy a new prop.
Bob Ed
83 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyflorida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2006 at 9:31am
Thanks Bob's2001; I was under the impression that the 1:1 tranny output rotated the same as engine rotation. I still may need to do a prop change, with the 300 hp engine. I'll just include that in possible costs. I always feel that it's best to look at worst case expenses, and be happy if it costs less...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2006 at 4:56pm
Hi Fishy
I think you are under the right impression and Bob's 2001 is not quite right

If you put in a LH engine, you have to reorient the pump and use a LH propeller.

If you tried to use a LH engine with the pump set up for a RH rotation you will have a boat that runs in neutral and nothing else.

The 1:1 rotates the same direction as the engine and can't be made to rotate the opposite of your engine rotation (unless you slap it into reverse)

You will need a new LH prop

KENO

Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 9:15am
Hey, I'm just quoting what Borg-Warner has in the manual. It sounds pretty straightforward to me.
"IT SHOULD BE REALIZED THAT THAT INDEXING THE PUMP FOR OPPOSITE ROTATION DOES NOT CAUSE OUTPUT SHAFT ROTATION TO BE REVERSED, but it does permit the transmission to be used behind an opposite rotating engine."

Bob Ed
83 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 12:44pm
Hey Bob
I'm just going on experience, it won't work.I've tried it.

The way I read what you have quoted, it says that you can reindex your pump so that the same transmission can be used behind either a LH or RH engine. The middle part of the quote says that "it does not cause output shaft rotation to be reversed"

The last part says it permits the transmission to be used behind an opposite rotating engine.

So you can take that transmission from a RH engine reorient it and have it work behind the LH engine, but it will turn the same direction as the engine.

Wouldn't things be a lot easier if you could reverse the direction of shaft rotation. We'd all be happier not having to deal with these RH rotation engines.

KENO
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 1:21pm
Give Vince a call at skidim, he'll set you straight on weather it can be done or not. It was my understanding on a dual engine set-up the props rotate in opposite directions and this is done with the tranny and not engines. when I called to Vince about using a standard rotation engine, awhile ago, he said that you didn't have to change the tranny and that it has been done.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 5:28pm
I also have a std rotation engine in a boat that was originally reverse rotation. The pump was indexed to match the direction of the input shaft and a new opposite rotation propeller was used. The 1:1 transmissions always turn the direction of the input in forward and the opposite direction in reverse or they don't turn at all. So if you change the direction of the engine you need to change the pump orientation and you need to buy a new prop. Bob is just a little confused about the implications of the statement "IT SHOULD BE REALIZED THAT THAT INDEXING THE PUMP FOR OPPOSITE ROTATION DOES NOT CAUSE OUTPUT SHAFT ROTATION TO BE REVERSED".   It means nothing more than that the output shaft rotation will be the same as the input shaft rotation in forward gear, no matter what the direction of the pump. They say specifically that you need to run the transmission in the forward position to move the boat forward and the reverse position to move the boat backward. Page 25 of the installation manual covers matching the prop, engine, and transmission pretty extensively.
-Joe.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 8:11pm
I have to go along with Joe and KENO on this one. Our marine trannys share lots of the same components as an automatic transmission. Especially the pump. The fluid needs to be pumped in the right direction or the tranny won't work. That's the reason for indexing the pump. All other parts turn respectively of the engine. Meaning that for forward, if the engine turns CW then the propeller shaft also turns CW (looking at both from the rear). If the propeller direction could be changed by only indexing the pump, why would engine builders need to build reverse rotating engines?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyflorida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 9:04am
Thanks everyone; I just confirmed from a local marine transmission shop that the 71c/72c 1:1 transmissions always rotate the shaft in the same direction as the engine. When used in dual counter-rotating applications, it's the engine that is made to turn in reverse. That statement in the manual is not real clear on this.

I also was concerned about the size / length of the 350 fitting into the opening in the deck. The PO appears to have cut a small (1") notch in the front of mine to be able to take off the belt, so it's a tight fit. Does anyone know if the 350 is longer or shorter than a 351? Thanks again.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 1:58pm
Here's a for sure for my twin 318 Chryslers, one engine turns normal and the other turn reverse, I know because I replaced them, the BW tranny turns the same direction as the motor, just do the pump thang for the direction of the motor, on mine one tranny pump is one way and the other is opposite as per rotation.
\
JoeinNY,, do you see any difference in your boat with a standard rotating engine? I'm curious for the next rebuild...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 2:56pm
Captan,
    Don't know how much difference there is, it was like this when I got it. The previous owner had replaced the original engine with a std rotation napa rebuilt engine and knew just enough to be dangerous and indexed the pump and put on a matching prop. When I got it the cheepo engine was on its way out and when I replaced it I had yet to find this forum and had no idea what way the engine rotated to begin with so I scratch built another std rotation engine.   
     Hopefully this summer up in New England I will get to experience some other similar boats that rotate the "correct" way and see if there is any significant difference in list or steering feel. You can get just about any part in either rotation, the only parts that you can safely get through automotive channels that are rotation dependent are the crankshaft/seals and camshaft, and while the automotive parts are easier and cheaper to obtain they are not so much so that it would warrant buying a new prop and starter so you could use them.
    I guess if you were talking about a built up engine the savings to go with a std rotation motor might be worth it?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 9:10am
Just wondering, I assume RR is for the engine torque to help level the boat while underway, for whatever reason it doesn't do enough in that respect, I have to sit towards the middle if I alone and I only weight about 180 to run level in the water.
I think these older boat were a little narrow so reverse rotation was a helper for that. Doubt if steering torque is the reason.

I guess what I'd really like to do is setup a shortblock ahead of time and not have to deal with the crank issue of reverse rotation and stuff, that's the main difference right guy's?
Thanks for the feedback.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2006 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Fishy
I think you are under the right impression and Bob's 2001 is not quite right

If you put in a LH engine, you have to reorient the pump and use a LH propeller.

If you tried to use a LH engine with the pump set up for a RH rotation you will have a boat that runs in neutral and nothing else.

The 1:1 rotates the same direction as the engine and can't be made to rotate the opposite of your engine rotation (unless you slap it into reverse)

You will need a new LH prop

KENO

After much perusal of the shop manual I have come to the conclusion that the trans turns same as engine. Therefore you were right and I was wrong. I thought I was wrong once before but I was mistaken. Never been lost either, just powerful confused for a while.
Bob Ed
83 2001
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2006 at 6:28pm
   I certainly do wonder what it would feel like with a LH engine. I know that a bobtail engine cost me 1K extra for RH. I wasnt going to experiment and find out its not good. Plus, all the driving I have done has been behind a RH engine. I cant drive my neighbors (LH) boat as I cant get used of everything being backwards. I look like a beginner pulling into a dock! Is anyone going to NE reunion with LH engine in the old 70's hull design we can tinkey with???
                                 Jeff...
jefmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2006 at 8:13pm
If you prefer RH props enough you can get a reverse transmission. My PCM tranny is a reverse type.. I have '89 with a PCM LH engine with RH prop. The model number is PLDPR-R12/PP which stands for Pleasurecraft, LH engine, 351/255HP, Pleasurecraft, Reverse, RH prop, 1.23 gear reduction, Power Plus trans.

Although I am getting used to the RH prop that I have now, I actually prefer LH props because I am used to LH props. My last boat of 7 years had a chev with a LH prop (not a correct craft). Docking was very easy because the back of the boat sucked into the dock on the drivers side when throwing it in reverse.

Let us know how the chev conversion goes, Good luck.
Ski Nautique 2001
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 1:16am
RH vs LH. think back about 40 years ago with a narrow hull on the 16'ers. Driver steps in the boat sits down and she leans about 10-15 degrees.

The torque is opposite rotation and in the old narrow hull boats an "auto" style engines torque adds to the imbalance.

Our '72 running with only the driver balances out and runs true and produces a nice flat wake at 3200 RPM. With a passenger, they have to lean toward the middle or you'll "launch" yourself over the uneven wake.

On wider hulls I don't think the engine rotation is as dramatic. Nor is only one person in the boat. We also have a new 196SN and it is not nearly as sensitive to the rotation or weight distribution.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 5:58am
We had a 65 Mustang with a 260 which a PO had converted to standard (engine had RH stamp on front cover). At cruising speed with just driver it listed significantly to starboard. Finally figured out the cause, eventually installed a RR 289, problem gone. Still have this 260 if anyone's interested. Complete, good running LH longblock minus oilpan, very cheap.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyflorida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 10:41am
Thanks for the feedback; not really concerned about the "lean" since the Fish Nautique is a center console, which would only mean trading leaning one way for the other way (without trim tabs). Main concern was the closed cooling system (for saltwater use), marine fuel injection for better economy on 30 mile runs into the gulf, and of course the easy availability of parts. Normally I like to carry a spare starter and distributor (in addition to a kicker that mounts on the swim platform)and these parts are cheap and plentiful for a normal (left) rotation engine.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 3:37pm
I had a 69 Century Buccanner,original rh rotation 318,froze broke badly,boat sat for several years and i came across a nearly new ski centurian road wrecked,I bought this boat for cheap moved running gear to century,This was lh 351,boat did run a bit laid over but it was a deep vee hull,one good ice chest of cold beer always compensated very well.And I prefer LH rotation cause your on the right side to catch yourself when docking.I also know it to be true that reversing the pump and changing the prop is all ya need to do behind the motor.If I had the chance I would embrace a rorational directional change in any boat i had to left hand.The bad news is I'd have to build a reverse rotation motot to do this to my 92 SN

Of course all this is just my opinion,

Good Luck Munday
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2006 at 7:54pm
http://www.fishtheclassic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7682
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 9:46am
I have a 1986 FN , FWC 351 with the prop guard , 2600 RPM = 23 mph and fish the gulf out of Tarpon Springs , troll for grouper with down riggers , 30 miles out and troll all day burn 23 gallons. Want to go diesel someday.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic