Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351w Fresh Paint and Chrome Valve Covers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351w Fresh Paint and Chrome Valve Covers!
    Posted: April-17-2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I didn't think my hose was big enough.

Was that considered cosmetic surgery and did your insurance cover it?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 1:22am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

So, I had my 1" hose removed and put in some 1 1/4" hose.

That hurts just thinkin' bout it
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 12:44am
So, I had my 1" hose removed and put in some 1 1/4" hose.

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 12:31am
My understanding is that measuring across the intake manifold, a 302 should be 9" wide and a 351 10 3/4" wide.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 10:46pm
my '99 SAN takes a lap around the v-drive before hitting the t-stat housing...14 extra feet of hose...yikes...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joe, I assume your concern would be any additional hose length between the pick up and RWP?

If so, most of the time you can make the change without adding any length- just putting the trans cooler in line rather than running additional lines back to it.

Conq/Crus used the same Sherwood pump design (slightly different case) as PCM, fwiw. OMC did use some oddball stuff (ours cross referenced to a Mercruiser RWP).

I am thinking the concern would be the pressure drop of the trans cooler. As long as it was the same cooler and the same pump between the two engines you can assume that you will probably live though. The added joints on the suction side are also places to pull air and possibly cause trouble. You want your leaks on the pressurized side if at all possible that way they are easier to detect and less likely to be of a critical nature.

None of it is likely anything to lose sleep about but I defintely see where the engineers were going when they were adding all that hose.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 2:00pm
One advantage of plumbing it direct from the hull pickup to the RWP:

If the tranny cooler happens to gum up with gunk (there is no clear bowl water strainer) at least it won't starve the impeller of water. With the tranny cooler first, if there's an obstruction, the RWP could pull air and get burned out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:30pm
Joe, I assume your concern would be any additional hose length between the pick up and RWP?

If so, most of the time you can make the change without adding any length- just putting the trans cooler in line rather than running additional lines back to it.

Conq/Crus used the same Sherwood pump design (slightly different case) as PCM, fwiw. OMC did use some oddball stuff (ours cross referenced to a Mercruiser RWP).
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:30pm
All your older true marinized engines where always set up with the suction line directly to the RWP and then to the cooler. With the cooler up front, this meant long oil lines usually hard piped. I think the current method was a economy move.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:18pm
I probably wouldn't change the non-pcm motors to the pcm routing, most pumps are much better at pushing than pulling, and some are worse than others at self priming. While a much simpler routing and we all know that it is tried and true with thier pumps and their engines what PCM is doing would not be considered best practice.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

My Chevy/OMC is plumbed through the pump first, then back through the trans then back up front to the thermostat.

Interesting, it's certainly not wrong I just haven't seen it done that way before. Seems like a lot of unnecessary hose though.

Our OMC 454 was plumbed the same way. Conquerer/Crusader did it too. Very hose-intensive motors! I try and simplify the cooling system when I can, using PCM's routing as a guide. Much cleaner.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

My Chevy/OMC is plumbed through the pump first, then back through the trans then back up front to the thermostat.

Interesting, it's certainly not wrong I just haven't seen it done that way before. Seems like a lot of unnecessary hose though.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:34am
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:30am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

One snapshot of where the distributor mates the block would also clinch it.
If its fairly even with the valley, its a 302, if its about 3/4" below the valley, its a 351.

Agreed, doesnt look my 351. My distributor is much lower than that one, the top of the cap is much lower in comparison to the carb on mine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:07am

Did anyone notice the water hose routing? Looks like it comes out of the RWP then goes back around to the trans cooler then back under the motor and up to the thermostat housing. Is that correct for this year? that should work but it seems like an aweful lot of hose.

Good call Alan- I had to look again to see what you were talking about. PCM plumbed it like this:

intake grate --> tranny cooler --> RWP --> thermostat housing

They routed the first section of hose under the tranny and then up and over to the top of the cooler. Then a straight shot from the cooler to the RWP (lower side). Then a short hose from the top of the RWP to the 'stat housing. Pretty clean way to do it.

Is the screw on the pump facing out? I cant tell for sure. If so, then the pump will need to be flipped in order for it to push water into the engine with its current plumbing. Im assuming its a RH engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 3:29pm
Paul,
I don't have strainers on ANY of my boats and have NEVER had a problem. A lot depends on the water you run in!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 3:23pm
I noticed the water hose's also. I also noticed that he has no strainer basket/filter(hence the way its plumbed)that could cause problems.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by Alex47 Alex47 wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

...you did use a marine pump rather than an automotive. Please, this is important - tell us about it.

I just cleaned up the same fuel pump that was on the engine.

Yes, the newer marine pumps look just like that.

I edited my initial post about 15 minuets after making the first one. I spotted the overflow tube!!   

EDIT:
Alex,
I see the overflow tube now. It's pretty hidden - glad to see it on the engine!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Alex47 Alex47 wrote:

...you did use a marine pump rather than an automotive. Please, this is important - tell us about it.

Yes, the newer marine pumps look just like that.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Sweet 302/351, you would be able to tell by head bolt size, one of the only physical ways to tell, except for dis-assembling and measureing the bores...there may be other ways, but this is the way that I can tell...i believe the 302 will be a 5/8ths socket and the 35i will be a 3/4 socket   7/16"ths bolt or 1/2" bolt   

That's your inner chevy talking Eric...

The bores on 302 and 351 are the same.
So one would need to measure the stroke.

Yes, a head bolt would clinch it.

deck height and width are measurable externally.

One snapshot of where the distributor mates the block would also clinch it.
If its fairly even with the valley, its a 302, if its about 3/4" below the valley, its a 351.

Its also common to find 351 heads on the marine 302's, so anything written under the valve cover is suspect.

My eye also says 302.

Even the rear shot says 302. see how the intake is even with the bellhousing. It would be raised on a 351. This says the deck height is a 221/260/289/302 block.

A very good looking 302, well done
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 6:28pm

Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by snipe snipe wrote:

Are you running straight exhaust? That has to sound great...

Straight exhaust with two hose clamps on each of the through hull fittings. Engine sounds awesome!
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 6:08pm

Did anyone notice the water hose routing? Looks like it comes out of the RWP then goes back around to the trans cooler then back under the motor and up to the thermostat housing. Is that correct for this year? that should work but it seems like an aweful lot of hose.

Yes, that is how the water hoses are routed. When I routed the hose I just copied the same routing. Its been routed that way ever since I've had it, and so far it's worked fine.

Is there a better way to route the hose? Possibly from the pickup through the trans cooler to the raw water pump to the thermostat housing?
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:34pm
Nice job. Are you running straight exhaust? That has to sound great...
Rev Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rev Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 1:45pm
Very nice Alex! You have a good eye for detail!

"351" is cast on the top of the head (under the valve covers), with ford factory heads, that's one way to find out.

The engine looks great So many people don't take the time to do it right, those 15 minute jobs with over spray on the old hoses, in the bilge, the wires, and on the stringers...YUCK!
Cheers,
Rev Bob

"if it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there!"
~~~
My Dad always said; "Everything on your boat is either broken or about to be....and you just don't know about it yet".
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 1:34pm
Sweet 302/351, you would be able to tell by head bolt size, one of the only physical ways to tell, except for dis-assembling and measureing the bores...there may be other ways, but this is the way that I can tell...i believe the 302 will be a 5/8ths socket and the 35i will be a 3/4 socket   7/16"ths bolt or 1/2" bolt   
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 12:44pm
Alan,
I did notice that????

Alex,
I don't see any overflow tube in case of a fuel pump diaphragm rupture back up to the carb. It was on the original. Hopefully you just haven't gotten around to installing it yet and you did use a marine pump rather than an automotive. Please, this is important - tell us about it.

EDIT:
Alex,
I see the overflow tube now. It's pretty hidden - glad to see it on the engine!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 11:50am
Very nice job, Looks awesome.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 2:19am
nice, how do you tell the difference between intakes of a 302 and a 351. just curious??
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 1:53am
Originally posted by sweet77 sweet77 wrote:

The valve covers say 351 high performance. where did you get them.

Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic