NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Head gasket direction question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head gasket direction question
    Posted: March-07-2012 at 4:07am
Happy to say that I did my "dry" (hose) test with no issues! Only question is what/where is the SPOUT connector? I need to unplug it to do the timing. Any ideas?
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 2:29pm
Local NAPA store closed a year or two ago and the other places look at me like I'm nuts when I ask if there is anything other than cork. The Feltpro ones do have the metal inserts at the holes, so that's good. I'll locktite them down at the same time I use gobs of anti-seize on the exhaust manifold and riser bolts (getting those stubs out was a pain!).

Headed to the garage now. I might actually be able to test it today..... Wish me luck!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 11:42am
I got nitrile (rubber) gaskets fron NAPA, are resusable & didn't break the bank. No leaks so far at 250 hours.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 10:42am
I always use locktite on valve cover gaskets, hopefully the set you purchsed has the steel non crush inserts, I feel those are foolproof and eliminate over-tightening. If they don't just use the locktite and be careful not to over tighten, you probably have aluminum valve covers not stamped steel so you should be fine even with standard gaskets.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 3:27am
One quick question: Should I use lock tight on the valve cover bolts so that it hopefully doesn't leak later? Since you can't tighten the outside ones without pulling the exhaust manifolds, I'm wondering if I should use something (especially since the gasket is cork and the torque is only 3-5 ft/lb).
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 1:36pm
It all makes sense now. :-) Clarity of a new morning (and decent sleep). :-)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 12:35pm
I cant decipher what procedure youre following by your description. If you follow the Comp procedure and compare each lifter using marks taken when the cam is on the base circle (valve closed) then you'll be fine.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 12:04pm
Okay, now I finally understand. My incorrect assumption last night was that when torqued down, the piston in the lifter was at the bottom of travel. I realize that is incorrect. It is anywhere between the top and bottom of it's travel (hopefully somewhere in the middle) depending on pushrod length. What I found on my heads is that I'm at .075 to .110, so I need to drop so I'm down in the .020-.060 range. I'll shim accordingly and hopefully be on my way to finishing this weekend. So ignore the last post. :-)
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 5:07am
So, I finally measured everything. The Crain instructions are misleading (I think) since it says to wait for the pushrod seats in the lifter to move back to the neutral position before marking. I see no "neutral" position. With the rocker arm torqued down, the bled-down lifter piston is at the bottom of travel (lifter spring compress), and when you back off the rocker arm bolt, the piston moves back up to the top of its travel (spring expanded). I don't understand why they'd call top of travel "neutral position" since that seems to mean "middle". Or am I missing something? When the lifters bleed down, they bottom out. Then, when the rocker arm bolt is loosened, the spring in the lifter pushed the push rod up to the top of the lifter piston travel. Or at least that is what I observed and measured.

The smallest gap I measured was about .075, with the largest being betweeen .100 and 110. So it looks like .030 shims for the ones that are .075 to .080, and .060 shims for everything over that.

Just want to make sure I did the measurements correctly since I see no "neutral position". Hope to get the shims on, remeasured, and ready to put the intake manifold back on tomorrow evening.

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 10:42am
I painted the push rods an inch or 2 at the spot to be measured. It makes the marks stand out.
I used acetone and cheese cloth to clean them off when done.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 9:05am
This reminds me (Billy mentioned it too) that I'm due for a valve clearance adjustment on the solid lifters in my Y block! There is some "clatter" but I've always been taught it's better to hear them than having them too tight. So, I'll pull the valve covers this spring and while I'm in there will do the Y block rocker arm shaft pluging on the one end. This is a common mod to the Y block valve train. Instead of all the oil running out the one end, it provides oil/lube to the rockers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 4:45am
Where do you get lay out ink or safety orange spray paint? I'd like to pick some up tomorrow. Tks.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 4:42am
:-) I'm probably going to stop by the drug store and get a pair of 300 reading glasses (I use 150 now). That should be good for seeing the darn marks! Unbelievable how quickly I went from 20/20 to farsighted and astigmatism. I suspect (based on my very accurate measurement of feeling the two marks with my fingernail and the gap in between), that I'm a bit over .060 so would put in a .030 shim. But I suspect I should confirm my suspicion with the calipers.   :-)
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 9:19pm
When I did the install I used lay out ink on the push rods. It's a bright blue color, or safety orange spray paint and a single edge razor blade. the lines really stand out well even for someone that sometimes uses 2.0 readers and a magnifying glass.

I'd be careful about the size "cut" in the push rod if you can feel it with a finger nail it's a stress riser and a place for fatigue failure to start as hours of run time build up. Our failure analysis guys see cyclic vibration failures everyday.

My heads are from Clearwater with Cobra 1.7 rockers used single shims on all the valves, some .030 others .060     
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 8:28pm
:-) I'm probably going to stop by the drug store and get a pair of 300 reading glasses (I use 150 now). That should be good for seeing the darn marks! Unbelievable how quickly I went from 20/20 to farsighted and astigmatism. I suspect (based on my very accurate measurement of feeling the two marks with my fingernail and the gap in between), that I'm a bit over .060 so would put in a .030 shim. But I suspect I should confirm my suspicion with the calipers.   :-)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 8:22pm
Don't over think it Gordon,thats why you are given a range---

"Measure the distance between the two scribe marks, it represents the amount of lifter preload. If the lines are .020" to .060" apart you have
proper lifter preload. If the lines are the same or less than .020" apart you have no or insufficient preload. If the lines are further apart than 060"
you have excessive lifter preload. To bring your preload into tolerance, use one of the methods described in the next section if necessary, or call
the Crane Tech Line for assistance (386/258-6174)."

It's not like your setting a mechanical cam,as long as your in that range the lifter will take up the difference. As to the glasses thing,you got 8 more years without than I did
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 7:22pm
I did go back and forth (which is why I can feel them with my fingernails). But yes, my eyesight isn't what it used to be (was great until 48, then downhill quick--good thing I can still see the buoys.....). Also, the pushrods have painted rings in the area, which makes marks harder to see. Well, with the light I may be okay. Otherwise, I just got some extremely fine point Sharpie's (probably only .020 thick), so measuring from center to center should be no problem. Won't get back to it until tomorrow evening, but hopefully it will go well enough that I might have a shot at completing everything and at least testing it with a hose this weekend (if that works, I'll get it in the water for an in-course test). But first things first; don't want to get ahead of myself! :-) It sounds like the valves on each head were consistant in their original preload. I'm hoping it will be the same. Of course, I'll measure each one, but it would be nice if all of them are more or less the same. So, with time, I would assume that the preload will lessen (with wear), so I would think that all things being equal, you'd want to put in a thinner shim (which equals more preload) than a thicker one if you are in the middle. That's my theory at the moment, but I'll reserve judgement until after I actually see and measure the current preload.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:16pm
ya I guess, My eyes are still good so I had no trouble seeing them even without a worklight, I mean, you need to make a decent mark so slide it back and forth a bit. the sharpie could be a bit inaccurate due to the width but as long as you are consistent it should work.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:03pm
Jason, how in the world did you see the marks you make on the push rods with a razor blade? I guess I've got to get some really powerful reading glasses or a magnifying glass. I can feel them with my fingernail, but I can't see to measure them!! I'm going to have to pull out a 300w halogen work light to see if that helps! I guess I can pull the rods out and then I could see them (since I'll have to pull the rocker arms to put in shims anyway). Maybe a fine point sharpie is better, just measure center to center? Otherwise this is going to take forever!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 2:02pm
Gordon,
Shoot me an E-Mail

mtmabe@northstate.net
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 11:18am
They evolved because people didn't,but that belongs in the off topic section
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 10:51am
if there were not any problems they wouldnt have evolved?
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I agree,I ran regular Fel-pro for years with no problems.In the case of the older motors like mine do you think Ford,who most likely put the basic block together used special gaskets? Heck they didn't even put marine carbs,distributors or starters on them either!

Yup!! In that era, the basic block came in and the "marinization" was bolting on the exhaust manifolds!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 4:26am
I have my doubts that Ford put special ones on, especially since they apparently put mine on backwards as well. I only run in fresh water, so I'm not concerned.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 7:38pm
I agree,I ran regular Fel-pro for years with no problems.In the case of the older motors like mine do you think Ford,who most likely put the basic block together used special gaskets? Heck they didn't even put marine carbs,distributors or starters on them either!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 6:22pm
i have heard that if you are running in fresh water you dont need the marine gaskets. I got them anyway. Because they had the metal pieces i felt ok about retorquing them. I mean if you think about it I dont see why fresh lake water would be any worse than antifreeze.
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 1:29pm
Gordon, it's been a while since I put on a marine head but I remember it being a special stainless steel head gasket for the marine environment. Are the felpros you get at the car parts place suitable for a boat engine?

If you only run in fresh water do you even need marine head gaskets?
C-Rob

2000 SAN
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 10:00pm
uh I actually had an extra laying around but it was a cheap one so I reused the old think it will be ok. We will see I guess, I oiled the bolts this time so It probably torqued down a little tighter.. I did it this afternoon.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 7:06pm
Justin, just a heads up (no pun intended). A friend of mine this morning said that since I had already torqued down the starboard head with the gasket facing the rear, since I needed to change the orientation and the gasket had already been torqued, that I should probably get a new gasket. The auto parts place also suggested it (of course they are since they get to sell another gasket). But I don't want to risk it, so I bought a new one. I was able to get just one Feltpro head gasket (as opposed to two, or a whole gasket kit). It was $22, but cheap peace of mind. Just thought I'd mention it if you hadn't pulled and swapped yours yet (or maybe you did use a new one).
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 3:17am
Bummer! We ski year around (usually 50s/60s), but we've had an unusually warm couple of days; just got back from an after work quick set and the air was in the low 70s (water mid 50s)! Skied well too! Where's a C class tourney when you need one?! I'll hopefully have it back in the water next weekend; I'll let you know how it works! :-)    Thanks for all your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic