Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP tried pulling prop shaft AND !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP tried pulling prop shaft AND !!!!
    Posted: August-21-2005 at 7:33pm
I have done some reading in posts on pulling the prop shaft from the coupler. I have a 79 nautique with a velvet trans. It has a coupler that the propshaft fits into. I undid the set screws and tried using a method of placing a small socket inbetween the end of the propshaft and the trans shaft. Then using oversize bolts to press the coupler together. I thought this would push the prop shaft out of the coupler. long story short the propshaft never moved from the coupler but the large nut around the trans shaft shifted forward making play in the coupler that fits into the trans. Now what should I do? I still have to get the prop shaft out of the way to work on correcting the problem I caused with the trans shaft nut. This thing is almost welded together. I am at the point where I am considering cutting the prop shaft to remove the coupler. I would like to save the prop shaft If I can but if necessary I will cut it. I have already caused a lot of damage tring to free it. I am assuming the only thing I can do to the trans when I remove the prop shaft and coupler is remove the nut from the trans shaft. Rethread the treads (some how) and try to use the same nut ( if it will fit). I am afraid when I rethread it I will never find a nut to fit it. I am not sure what to do at this point?

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2005 at 11:02pm
I am not familar with tapered prop shafts but I assume your is of the non-tapered design. Be certain you have all of the set screws out. Use a flashlight to look down the set screw hole hole. Some people use two set screws - one to go against the shaft and one to lock that screw down. Also, you may have two set screw holes in your coupling. In the industrial world the screws are 90 Deg apart. For some reason mine are 180 Deg apart.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
dealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 1:19am
I checked the set screws before I started the process of removing the prop shaft from the coupler. I need to think of a tool, puller or clamp that I can fit between the coupler to push the prop shaft through it. I only have a couple of inches between the trans coupler and the prop shaft coupler. I am hoping this post will help someone else so that they do not get into the position I am in. I need to get this prop shaft out of the coupler and repair the trans shaft threading.

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 2:34am
I left mine coupled and tapped on the back of the prop with a ballpeen hammer. I dinged the prop a little but not enough to hurt. I put a pencil mark on the shaft behind the coupler and my girlfreind set in the boat and told be if it moved. I hit the prop harder and harder until she told be it moved. I then knew how hard I had to hit the prop.

I suspect this may be hard on the trans but like you, I felt I had to do something.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 4:05am
Is there any problem with heating the coupler? I find that a little heat goes a long way whenever any random piece of metal is stuck inside another piece of metal. Get one of those propane or MAPP gas torches with the nifty trigger start. If you heat up the coupler first, you might be able to go back to the same method you were using before. You might also want to get some penetrating lubricant in there just in case there's any bit of corrosion in there. Blaster PB is good and widely available.

Of course, it shouldn't be too hard (unless I'm missing something here) to just drop your rudder out, pull the shaft out a bit, and throw a puller on there.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 5:41am
Don't cut the prop shaft...as a last resort, cut off the coupler since it's probably cheaper.

Heat the coupler if you can do it safely.

Do you have a 3 arm gear puller. I used one a few months ago and it worked just fine. Just a small amount of strain with the puller(don't bend the coupler flanges) a little heat and a tap with a hammer will remove the coupling.

Need a pic of the tranny in order to give you advice.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 8:33am
I pulled the coupler off my shaft a couple of weeks ago with a "harmonic balancer / steering wheel puller" (two hole puller). ...BUT, I had to use a short center bolt in the puller to fit between the coupler and the transmission flange.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 11:52am
I have done mine the same way Jameski does just remember to ring the coupling with a hammer like you would a tapper shaft. Some times you can take a punch and drive out the key and it will come apart easier. Also if someone has beat on the end of the shaft it will mushroom some and be very hard to remove if you dont grind it off so that it is straight and not flared
dealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 7:00pm
I tried the tap on the back of the prop and it pulled the trans flange out of the trans by dethreading the nut on the trans shaft. Going to have to rethread the trans shaft. I think the steering wheel puller with a small center bolt and some heat will be the method to try. The area between the two couplers is 2". I have thought about a three arm gear puller but not even the smallest 3" puller will fit in the area between the two couplers. It is the end of the season and I am going to try to save as much of this set up as I can. I think I might upgrade it in the winter to a double taper shaft, new coupler and new strut bushings. Jameski how pressed on was your shaft to the coupler? Did it come right out or did it take some time?? Mine is really really inthere.   
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 11:51pm
Dealer,
I've pulled my shaft twice in the past two years. I used a different method both times. The first time, it was REALLY stuck. I tried the small socket between the prop shaft and the transmission shaft. When I torqued two bolts, between the coupler and the transmission flange, it wouldn't budge, but when I torqued all 4 it moved. It was very slow-going, but I eventually pushed it out with the four bolts. The second time, I used the two hole puller, and it was not stuck as bad.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
DaveR View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 6:55pm
You could insert a section of steel plate between the two couplers, insert your small socket or other object between the plate and the prop shaft, and then try again to squeeze the two couplers together with the four (over-long) bolts.

In other words,put something across the transmission coupler face so that the force from socket and prop shaft is transferred to the transmission coupler and not the transmission output shaft.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 12:56am
DaveR is right on! I was thinking the same after reading this post from the begining!!
Bill G View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 11:06pm
Last week my drive shaft on my 1986 Nautique broke just in front of the prop. About 1" was left after the strut. I did every thing suggested to get the coupling off the shaft. Nothing worked. The shaft was junk anyway and even SE Correct Craft said to just cut it off. So I took a cut off wheel and in five minutes I had the shaft in half and the coupling off. No hassle and no stress on the transmission. I still had not been able to get the remainder of the shaft out of the coupling. Time for new parts. The bad thing was that I was not able to find the prop.

Before this happened to me I had not heard of a shaft just breaking. From what I can tell of my shaft it was time to be replaced.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 10:07am
Beware those flanges can warp if you get too agressive torquing the bolts when using it like a press, then it will be useless because fine alignment will be entirely impossible.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
skiier View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 1:14pm
I broke a brand new shaft once, be sure to check the alignment!
DaveR View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 6:13pm
A thought on heat - as mentioned by others, heating the propshaft coupler to loosen it from the propshaft could help a lot.

A cheap handheld plumbing torch from Home Depot would work fine.

Home Depot also sells heat barrier fabric, sort of like thick felt cloth - you can put it behind what you are heating with torch to protect against flame splash. It will glow when the torch flame hits it (pretty cool), but blocks the heat. I found it in the plumbing/solder section, package contained a fabric section about a foot square.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic