NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My "New" Project Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Behl Behl wrote:

What are the Green Lake dates again?
Steve

Green Lake is going to be July 13 thru 15... There will probably be a few of us getting there on the 12th...

Try and make it! ask anyone that went last year... It was a GREAT time!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 1:15pm

btw , where you from?

....duh, I just saw in your signature... Indy?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 1:17pm
Will do

Thanx for the reply
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 1:18pm
I'm in Indianapolis, IN
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 1:21pm
Forgot to ask. Are there may people from Indiana who attend & from what cities. Would maybe consider convoy.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 5:14pm

Forgot to ask. Are there may people from Indiana who attend & from what cities. Would maybe consider convoy.

We're in South Bend. Went last year and it was the best weekend of our summer. Definitely, definitely, definitely worth the drive. Like 62Wood said, there will probably be a lot of people there on Thursday. We already have a hotel booked Thursday through Saturday nights. Get that Tique up there!

Rob
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 6:42pm
rleinen79

What happens on Fri. AM & how early does it start.

If I go should I stay 2 or 3 nites?

How long of a drive would it be from Indy. Would I use I-80/94, I-294, I-94

Steve

Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 8:23pm

Behl,
We are still working on this years details of the weekend... but everything is very laid back..

Just a quick overview of last year.. I think between 20 and 25 CCs showed up, driving from as far as Ohio and western Missouri. That along with 80 or 90 people, some flying in from California and the east coast, made the first year a "tough act to follow "!!

Last year on Thursday night a bunch of us, most of who had never met before, gathered at the campground. We cooked some food on the campfire, drank a few cool ones, admired each others boats and just sat around talking.....

Friday , most of us just took our boats out for a day of "water fun".. Others were arriving thru-out the day. Then in the evening we had a "meet and greet" in the park.

Sat AM ,most went back out for more fun. In the afternoon ,we met at a 3 foot deep sand bottom cove where we anchored ,walked around and just mellowed out some more....that was followed by a cookout in the park that night...

We will be posting more info on this years re-union as its figured out..

Thats kind of a quick overview..but like Rob says "get that Tique up there"!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 9:53pm

rleinen79

If I go should I stay 2 or 3 nites?

How long of a drive would it be from Indy. Would I use I-80/94, I-294, I-94

Steve

Like 62wood says, people continued to show up throughout the day on Friday. Thursday night waws great because my wife and I had a chance to meet Steve (62wood) Alan (81Nautqiue) Chris (79 Nautique), and Brian (BKHallpa$$) who flew in from CA, among others.

Friday was kind of a freeforall, and Saturday everyone hung out at the sandbar, then in the park at night. It's really great hanging out with people that share your pa$$ion for these great CCs. And the sight of all those beauties attracted a lot of attention from the locals, both in the park and at the sandbar. You have to get the Tique up there this year, because Mojoman, who had the only Tique last year, upgraded.

As for the drive....about 6 hours from South Bend...80 (Toll Rd) to 94, then North through Milwaukee. Add another couple hours for you I guess. Totally worth the drive. Don't even hesitate! Couple of shots from last year:

Rob
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 11:46am
Hey Rob,
Are you absolutely sure you had a good time last year ???? Just check'n...

Rehash:
Friday is usually a "getting settled" day before the gathering. I think we could also plan some events for that day as well, since there are so many people that will be there earlier, but it isn't till Friday evening that we have the first real gathering. Here we will outline the town, the lake and it's rules, local DNR and the weekend's plans. So try to plan on at least then..

Just ask Rob how much fun he and his wife had !!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 1:17am
Started pulling the floor out of the 82 project tonight. Fascinating. I had read much about "rotten plywood" under the front seats, and by the plywood. I was surprised to find no plywood at all. Instead, the floor was layed with planks of 3/4 X 8". I guess it's fir. The stringers in this section appear to be more rotten than anywhere else in the boat. Some of the foam was rotten and nasty. My wife said it stunk like hell, but, of course I couldn't even smell it. Even where the foam looks pristine, I found there to be a layer of water at the bottom between the foam and the belly of the boat. It is quite an effort the claw the foam out of there. You guys who've taken all the foam from the boat in a single sitting certainly have more energy than I do. All in all, a lot of fun. Let's see if I feel the same way weeks from now. BKH
Livin' the Dream

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 6:02am
BKH..... The 81 I am restoring also had fir planks across the front under the seating. In the late seventies I went through the C.C. factory seeveral times. They had a carpenter spending all his time a$$embling the stringer/flooring skeletons and stacking them up. C.C. would take one drop it into a hull and start laying up gla$$. BTW I am still working on the 81. It has been two years now. I am getting real close but other things have taken me away from the project too much. Man I dig the early 2001's
Question: Are going back with wood?   bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:33am
bj, I think I'll probably use plywood in that section as I've seen Ski Bum do in his recent photos.   BKH
Livin' the Dream

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:58am
Mayor BKH- I also used 3/4 in treated plywood when I replaced my flooring.... rock solid for the last two years.

I suggest a cutting wheel and a face mask when ripping out the foam.

Remember the demo is the easy part.
Life is Good.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 10:06am
.....also remember using a reciprocating saw quite a bit.....fun stuff
Life is Good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 12:06pm
82, I used an air power cutter to cut my lines
on the fibergla$$ section of the floor. Just used a 4 inch circular saw to cut throught the wood section. Was just using a hammer to knock out the foam. Not too bad, but I may try the cutter there as well.

Did you use ply on your entire floor, or just around the front seating area? BKH
Livin' the Dream

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 12:27pm
Brian,if you use plywood for the floor. Don't use treated if you plan to use resin and gla$$ with it.
Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 12:29pm
Yep, got it. Thanks Scott. It'll probably be a couple of months before I get there. Not much time to work on this. Just an hour or two here and there. BKH
Livin' the Dream

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 12:30pm
I capped the whole floor with 3/4 inch treated ply...it made a more even platform for laying carpet and I had access to some free materials.

If I were to do it again (not any time soon) I would have used 1/2inch for all the floor and 3/4in just for the removable access panel in the back.

probably overkill to use the 3/4....but at least it's solid.

Life is Good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:34pm
Just a few progress pictures. I have the floor and all the foam outnow, upt to the kick pannel under the bow. Quite a bit of rot in the stringers. In one section, both the main stringer, and the outside stringer were completely gone, with a 3-4" gap between sections of the stringer. With only a few hours each week to work on it, this is gonna take a while. BKH
All the planking below the front seats rotten

Port Stringer near observer seat 4" gap.

Starboard stringer, petrified wood

Starboard exhaust stringer, rotted through.

Rot all the way around the battery box.
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:40pm
Wow those are scary pictures. Every time I see one of you guys start this I get worried about what is under my floor.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:50pm
Do you guys ever take your boats out of the water.?

Just seems strange to me that there are so many of these boats out thee with rotten stringers & floors.?

Why is that.?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:57pm
Chopper, I bought this boat as a project. I knew the floor was rotten when I got it. Didn't know how extensive it would be below. It's a 25 year old boat. For the last ten years, the guy didn't take very good care of it. Rain water, etc. However, looking at the damage, it probably would have rotted anyway. The fibergla$$ had cracked where the floor meets the engine brackets. Also, cracks under the drivers seat. So, even if he took care of it, water would have got in over time. Not all of the wood was encased in fibergla$$ on both sides. BKH
Livin' the Dream

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 12:51am
rleinen79 in one of the pics you posted the orange older SN it has an MC number is that a michigan boat? If so where abouts is it from. Highly unlikely but there used to be one that looked just like it that ran around on the lake on I am from when I was little. Infact my dad had worked on it a couple of times.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 9:03am
I have commented before that there is no such thing as encapsulation of wood in a fibergla$$ boat. They tried to "encapsulate" and then would proceed to drill holes through it to attach things like the seats or the engine mounts. I doubt that any attempt was made to seal these holes with something like 5200. Water is going to get to the wood. The encapsulation does more harm that good because it keeps the wood wet all the time. As a wooden boat owner, I know that it's always the wood that can't dry out that rots first.

The use of wood frames in a fibergla$$ boat was a natural evolution from the wood to the fibergla$$.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 10:46pm
BKH,
I was just curious that's all. Most boats "down under" are trailered to & from the lake & then stored in the garage / under cover, so very rarely does wood rot seem to become an issue.

I guess if you left your boat out in the rain / snow then that would be a different story.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 2:59am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

rleinen79 in one of the pics you posted the orange older SN it has an MC number is that a michigan boat?

Haven't seen Stang around here in awhile but it is his boat. I believe it came out of the Detroit area.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 11:22pm
Not too exciting given all the other guys currently replacing floors and stringers. Nevertheless, here are a couple of progress pics. Got some time to work on it today. Just about ready to start pulling stringers. BKH

Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 12:07am
BKH: Looks to me like you are making good progress considering the amount of time you can spend. Keep the pics coming!

Hope both of your girls are feeling better.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by 82tique 82tique wrote:

Mayor BKH- I also used 3/4 in treated plywood when I replaced my flooring.... rock solid for the last two years.

I suggest a cutting wheel and a face mask when ripping out the foam.

Remember the demo is the easy part.

Hey 82. When you put plywood down did you insert any ribs or just go with ply over the foam? BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic