Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122>
Author
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 12:17am
Great looking work, on one hand I'm green with envy, on the other hand I'm glad I won't have to suffer the agony of waiting for the boat to get done? That's going to be the toughest part!
most excellent!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 12:41am
get some wire seperators so you know exactly where they go with out numbering the wires.

what is that one chrome piece in the first picture, a hold down? seems out of place but it's not a ford.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 8:43am
Originally posted by gigem75 gigem75 wrote:

Great looking work, on one hand I'm green with envy, on the other hand I'm glad I won't have to suffer the agony of waiting for the boat to get done? That's going to be the toughest part!
most excellent!

Thanks! Some nights I wind down sitting there looking at it. LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 8:56am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

get some wire seperators so you know exactly where they go with out numbering the wires.

what is that one chrome piece in the first picture, a hold down? seems out of place but it's not a ford.

Chris, I do have separators on the plug wires but they're hard to see in my pic. I used a 4-notch loom on the back of each head. I think they were intended to go on a valve cover stud but they work this way pretty well. I would be able to pull the plug ends and put 'em back w/o numbering. Is that what you mean? I think it's too bad that the 4 plug wires for 1 side of the engine aren't all on the same side of the distributer?!!?

I'm not sure which chrome piece you mean. In the first pic on the left is a chrome fuel line and on the right is a chrome valve cover but it looks funny at the angle I took it. I was highlighting the "Made in USA" tag on that one.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 9:08am
Chris, I read back through my last post and it almost sounds like I was correcting you?!!? This was not my intention and I really appreciate all of you guys looking after my project. All critcisms and pointers welcome!
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 11:08am
I looked back and couldn't see the chrome piece ether. All I found was a possible reflection in the bolt recess of the valve cover.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 8:38pm
Greg what brand wires did you use?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Greg what brand wires did you use?

Those are Taylor Cable universal. I got the idea from an older thread(TRB) and I didn't think they'd care if it was a Ford or Chevy.

Edit-it was important that they be blue!
1988 BFN-sold

gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 8:51pm
"and I didn't think they'd care if it was a Ford or Chevy" and you've been around here for how long?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 8:57pm
They=plug wires
1988 BFN-sold

gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 9:35pm
That makes a hellva lot more sense!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by gigem75 gigem75 wrote:

That makes a hellva lot more sense!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 9:57am
The time is drawing near...one last question to close out this thread; how do I want to break it in?

Thanks!
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 10:21am
Like you stole it!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 11:10am
it's very important to seat the rings and the only way to do that is with a lot of throttle and it has to be done early or it never will happen. Let it warm up normally and get to temp. Now start giving it some gas about 3/4 full roll in to it slowly watch the R's don't let it get past 4K at first and then back it back down slowly then repeat repeat repeat.

don't run at one set RPM for more than a few minutes if anything idle in gear for 5 minutes or so then run it. If you don't get the rings seated before the honing marks on the cyclinder walls are gone, you'll never get them completely seated and you will have always have some blow-by of the rings, nothing to get excited about but you can loose a few pony's depending on how well you seat the rings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 3:16pm
Thanks Chris!!! I've heard everything from "don't worry about it" to "break it like you're gonna run it", but none of anything I've heard sounded like it had a lot of experience behind it...your's does. I appreciate the info on the operative side of doing it...way better than when it's too late!
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 3:43pm
PCM's website has specific break in instructions, (I think in their on line manuals), that are very similar to what 79 is saying. That method has been discussed quite a lot on another web site as compared to Indmar's break in instructions which say to baby it and doesn't mention anything about seating rings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 4:25pm
if you don't seat the rings and they won't seat by baby'n it so hammer down just not wide open and start from the begining or it's to late and you might as well have babied it.

get it up to temp, watch the oil pressure, what the engine temp, make sure you have good oil rotela or valoline 20-50 racing before you even start it or you'll smoke the cam right off the bat. Listen to the motor listen for a ping drive with the motor box up so you can hear because you won't hear anything important with it down, don't get excited about a ping if it has one just back of the throttle a little if it's a bad one stop adjust your timing, make sure the carbs a little rich. Don't get excited if it's not exactly right your breaking it in and things will change to no need to get spot onright now unless it wayout then address it and fine tune later.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 4:47pm
Thanks again for the detailed how-to. Haven't tried it yet though...

I was just turning it over without the plugs in and the fuel pump is dancing...and it's not even halloween?!!? That's a new one on me.

It's up against the block and appears to be tight, but then it shows a hair of flex when it's working. It is working because I had a fitting leak a bit. The leak is fixed and the best thing I can figure is that the bolts are slightly long. The foot on the old one is a bit thicker than the new one, and I used the original bolts.

I'll check it in a few but decided to post in case somebody recognizes something dumb that I may have done.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 4:59pm
well did you buy an automotive pump instead of a marine unit?

just add a couple washers and a lock washer to each bolt and that should make up the difference. Did you remember to use a gaskets between the pump and block?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 5:13pm

well did you buy an automotive pump instead of a marine unit?

just add a couple washers and a lock washer to each bolt and that should make up the difference. Did your remember to use a gaskets between the pump and block?

Chris, you seem to right here waiting to hear it run like I am...oh so close and I wish you were here!

I got out of the sun a minute to think about it(posting here helps me organize my thoughts somehow) and went from aggravated to problem solving mode. That's when I thought about the bolts. I loosened the originals and retightened...they didn't feel right. So I put in some that are about 3/8" shorter and no more dancing. The pump is marine and came from skidim...the manufacturer must be using a little less material these days as there is a noticable difference in the mounting bases.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 5:25pm
just don't get to happy running it in the drive, you really need to wait until you can get some power to it under load to seat the rings, the more you run it in the drive the less the rings will seat properly and the less power you will end up with once seated.

in other words the better the rings seat the more power the engine will generate and the plugs will run just that much cleaner as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 5:31pm
I just want to hear it pop before I take it to the ramp. I'll have water hooked up and will keep it under a minute.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 5:35pm
start it set the timing set the rough settings on the carb and turn it back off and wait until you can run it in the lake.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 6:59pm
YaaaaHooooooo!!!!!!!   and    YeeeeeeHaaaaaaw!!!!!!!

It hit almost immediately. I don't think it turned 2 times before it was running. It only hit and I started it 3 more times till it wanted to keep running, but it was less than 30 secs all together.

Now it's time to wire in the depth finder and then go for a ride!

I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart who helped me along the way...I actually want to show it to yall more than go for a ride?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:00pm
What about cam break in, I didn't read back through this whole thread but you're running a regular flat tappet cam right?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

What about cam break in, I didn't read back through this whole thread but you're running a regular flat tappet cam right?

as long as he used cam lube on the lobes generously and has the right oil in it then the cam will be fine if you try and wait for the cam to break in then you will loose the ring seat.

they load on the cam and valve train is constant and will not change with RPM or torque of the motor.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:14pm
Chris I gotta disagree, cam has to be broken in immediately if new, then you go into the run it like you stole it break in. If the cam doesnt get splash lubrication during the 20 or so first minutes your likely toast and certainly not covered by warranty from the cam manufacturer.   20 minutes shouldnt be enough to break in the bottom end without sealing the rings.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:17pm

they load on the cam and valve train is constant and will not change with RPM or torque of the motor.

FYI, I dont disagree with this, its the low speed operation that will kill the cam, not running it hard. Even cranking it over in the driveway at all is techinically a no no, getting it up to 1800-2200 rpm as soon as possible is key, especially if your running a hot cam and dont use break in springs.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:19pm
So what are you guys saying? I only bumped it over 4 times and intend to have it in the water tonight to follow Chris' break-in proceedure. I have the valvoline racing with the ZDDP(I do read a lot here), and I did use a lot of assembly lube.

If anyone has something to say...please, now would be good!
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122>
  Share Topic