NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, the garage was built with 2x6 rafters and only had 3 2x6 ties.

Wow, Sorry to see that Riley, that's a shame. How the hell can 2x6 rafters be up to code in your snow load area? I wonder if it was put up without pulling a permit and it slid by watchful eyes.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 9:30am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, the garage was built with 2x6 rafters and only had 3 2x6 ties.

Wow, Sorry to see that Riley, that's a shame. How the hell can 2x6 rafters be up to code in your snow load area? I wonder if it was put up without pulling a permit and it slid by watchful eyes.

By the book with a 20psf rating (min. code)and a slope greater than a 3-12, a 2x6 rafters max length is 14'11" for 16" centers and 12'4" for 24" centers. Bruce is correct that it was the 3-2x6 roof joists (ties) that allowed the walls to go. More would have certainly helped but proper framing anchors (Simpson Strong Ties) at the juction of these joists at the wall cap plate and the rafters probably weren't used.

Alan, Your point may be valid regarding the lack of inspection. Up north in my rural area, last year they just started a inspection program!!! Before that it was up to the "contractor" and if questioned, you would get a answer something like: "that's the way I have always done it"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 12:19pm
Rural town. 15 years ago the building inspector would not have even inspected it.

The ties consisted of 2 2x6 that were nailed together in the center and they pulled apart.

My buddy that built my garage is my partner in our 88 Skier. We used to keep the Skier in the garage that collapsed. I told him about it and he said that garage was really cheaped out and built like s**t.

I couldn't see the whole boat yesterday, but I didn't see any damage from what I could see. It will be really tricky getting that boat out without damaging it. My brother does not own the garage. It's rented. The owner is antsy to get in there asap and demo the building. With a couple of feet of ice and snow on the roof, it seems like going right in there will cause more damage. Whoever she hires, I hope will know what they're doing.

I am sure I will be seeking insurance advice at some point.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 1:04pm
Riley
I hope your brother's situation turns out like mine. We had a steel building collapse New Years Day, 8 years ago, under a snow load. I had 2 of my semi's, a backhoe, and a arial bucket truck inside. There was surprisingly very little damage to the vehicles.
Hopefully the owner will allow the snow to melt, relaxing the load on the structure, before tearing into the building.
Good luck,
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 1:25pm
Steve, So you found that waiting an letting the snow melt was better than trying to tear into the roof with all that weight on it. That's good to know and what I had figured.

I told the property owner and my brother that, but she is antsy to get going. My brother will be home tonight and he can take over. Hopefully, whoever the contractor that she hires will not rush in.

Kind of reminds of an old horror movie where the guy survives the elevator fall unhurt, only to have the cable cut the car and him in half a few moments later.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 1:36pm
Bruce at this point it's a safety issue, someone's going to get hurt when the rest of it collapses on them because they we're "ansty" to get it cleaned up and not wait for the snow to melt. That just doesn't make sense for her to rush into it right now.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 11:29pm
My brother met with the owners of the garage and their contractor today. The owners want the garage cleaned up this week. They also want the boat removed without damage. The contractor crawled in the garage and went all over the boat. He said he could see no damage, not even to the windshield. He did say the interior might be cut up because there's so much debris in it, but no damage to the hull or deck. Pretty amazing. We'll see how good he is raising the roof and securing the building so the boat can be removed. I'd be crazy if it were my boat. I think they should stabilize the walls and let the snow melt for a couple of weeks.   
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 11:20pm

Hope this isn't inappropriate.I think it pretty much sums up most peoples feelings in the northeast right now.Got it in an email from 98Sportnautique and found it somewhat humorous.Quite a contrast to the snowwoman posted earlier in this thread.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:30pm
Mike,

My feelings exactly! (And, it isn't even snowing here, just lots of rain and wind) Great pic.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 6:50pm
My brothers boat was removed from the garage and had relatively minimal damage. The windshield unbelievably, was not damaged. One toe rail on the deck was bent, the motor box was busted up, the flame arrester bent, and the interior is pretty torn up.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:31pm
Well winter is here to stay a bit longer, it's only been snowing for 3 hours and we have over 3 inches of fresh snow. We are expecting 4-10+ inches tonight. Got to go phone has been ringing off the hook. Only good thing is the white stuff pays well.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 8:19am
Well, we haven't seen any snow for almost all winter (only lots of cold rain and winds) and guess what... Easter weekend... 40 cm of snow here in the Ardennes... Pfffff... especially now that my boat is ready.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 1:34pm
ya is not any better here in akron ohio..seems like everytime we get a break it is followed with 6 inches of snow....
98SportNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98SportNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 9:43pm
Well in N.H today I went to the boat launch and the ice is out for about 200 feet from the shore not long now I think three more weeks and I will be putting the fishing boat in the water and the sport shortly after (gota put the docks in first and its F%$#$%G cold water)
98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic