Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underdrive Pulleys

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underdrive Pulleys
    Posted: August-03-2004 at 1:12pm
Anyone using underdrive pulleys - if so whats your thoughts?

Thanks
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2004 at 4:38pm
Okay; 24 looks, no responses. I have to ask, what is an underdrive pulley? Hey, ya never learn if ya don't ask!
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2004 at 7:06pm
To gain HP by turning all the the add on, water pump, alt, etc lower rpms.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2004 at 11:27pm
here you go yellowdog.

ford motorsports sells them too.

http://www.marchperformance.com/ford_pulleys.html
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2004 at 11:36am
Here's my question would you really want to do it? It seems to me that the alt. wouldn't make a difference the drag would be constant at 600 or 4000 rpm, now the rwp and cir pump does with higher rpm but would it effect cooling at higher sppeeds where you would be drawing less water to circulate? What's your thoughts Bill? I'm sure you must have used them at one point or another with your racing background.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2004 at 2:37pm
In a circle race boat never, however we never used alternators,water pumps, etc. These motors were running 7-10,000 RPM.
My opinion would be as 79 Nautique's, not worth the effort. Again if you are going for HP everything matters, however most of these boats turn short of 5250 RPM and are running on torque anyway, over that everything little bit helps.
I don't think they are available for PCM Fords, as the pulleys are different, I could be wrong.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2004 at 4:25pm
Well after a little investigation and measurements it appears that PCM already underdrove the crank in my 1977 302. Evidenced by the 5 1/2" crank and slightly oversized waterpump pulley.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2004 at 8:06pm
For a stock engine, the best place to increase Performance (IMO) is the Prop. We can all change a Prop, pretty easy.

A Water Pump and Alternator don't drain as much HP as a good Tune-Up add to an old engine and for the 302, there's thousands of "bolt on" HP options that are easy and probably safer than figuring out the water flow problem.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic