Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chrome 351W Valve Covers Leak!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tranner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrome 351W Valve Covers Leak!
    Posted: July-21-2004 at 8:02pm
Does anyone have any special tricks for the aftermarket chrome valve covers on the 351 Windsor? Mine continue to leak. I've tried everything to fix them but they just leak and leak and leak oil.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 5:37am
Are they the sheet metal covers? If so, overtorquing the bolts warps the metal and the leak is worse.

If they are warped and sheet metal, let me know, we can fix them without $'s.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 1:00pm
I use hold-down tabs on mine and have no leaks. The tabs spread out the load and seal much better. I bought two different styles one long and one short, the short ones are for the corners and the long one are used everywhere else.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 3:39pm
I use aluminum covers because I've never found a stamped steel cover that doesn't leak. I also use a steel core rubber gasket instead of cork.

This joint is very sensitive to torque as well, overtorque and you're sure to have a leak.
Tranner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 4:11pm
Thanks for all of the replies. Yep, I probably over torqued them. Is there a specific torque rating I should be using?

As for the gaskets, I've been told to use cork but if everyone agrees that rubber is better, I'll go that route.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 5:29pm
If you over torqued the sheel metal covers, then you must remove the covers and use a ball-peen hammer to flatten out the bolt holes. Go ahead and make the hole convex when viewed from the top. Buy the load spreaders or make your own, but just tighten the bolts snug (guessing, but no more than 6 ft-lbs). Cork gaskets will work fine. Glue the gasket to the valve cover with weatherstrip adhesive to prevent the gasket from shifting and causing a leak.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2004 at 10:48am
Going on memory I believe the torque spec. is 3-5 lbft. It isn't much, and is very easy to over do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic