NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A 351w (stroker?) from scratch...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 4:18pm
The block has only been machined once (other than stock), and since its getting nothing more than cleaned out now, and still shows crosshatching from the one time its been machined I am not worried about it.

There may have been debris from the previous gear failure in the oil passageway as I did not take it apart and clean it out after that. That might have contributed to the failure, but since all the oil ended up in the bilge and there was none in the pan.. Ockams's razor says thats the primary cause running out of oil.

The debris in the pan is certainly all from the bearing and the previous gear failure. It basically oozed paper thin wafers of the bearing out the side.

As for the way I put in the extra guage a very similar setup of the same size parts are hanging off tens of thousands of motors out there, including kieths old boat pictured back here. Follow the instructions with your new additional sender and thats how its done, the failure was indeed the thin walled chinese junk plumbing part. The guages don't need any flow so a thick walled part from the brake parts bin is the way to be..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

how is this the same mass same weight same set-up. Yea they both have tee's and one send unit are the same. But the lentgh, the over hung mass and overall weight are far from the same, and the long extension helps too, good thing you used the reducer creeating the weak link otherwise the aluminum extension would have broke and you'd be taping the block to fix it.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 6:00pm
They all reduce, thats the size of every sending unit 1/8 npt, the aluminum hex stock is from pcm, that fitting in the end of the aluminum hex stock is the stock PCM fitting. All this stuff is necessary to get the two required sending units in the space left on the motor. Yes there is a longer moment arm on this setup than on the other one I showed but that is trival in comparison the difference in strength between the thin walled fitting and the proper brake line fittings at more than twice the wall thickness.

Bottom line, I built a motor, I beat the crud out of it, I broke it, now I am telling others perhaps to help them not break thiers.

I appreciate the questions that help me keep from breaking another, but lets not get into semantics. Nobody wants to hear about poor surface finish on cheaply cut threads causing premature fatigue failure due to stress crack propagation or that in reality all you need to do is double the wall thickness and you move so far out on the S-N curve that its never going to break even without taking into account how much better cut the threads on the hydralic fittings are.. boring stuff.. hell a damn zip tie around the whole thing to the oil filter probably would have made the biggest difference.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 12:56pm
That or throwing a brace/bracket off of the fuel pump mounting. Maybe use a stud type bolt on the rear aft mounting bolt simular to what is on an intake sometimes, bolt with threads on both ends and a hex in the middle would give some real support.
it's just sick there so little room in between the fuel pump and accesories in that area makes it hard packaging both sending units.

can you use the other style sending unit that is a little smaller over all enstead of the tin can one now?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 3:15am
You know its summer when, Joe finally starts putting his boat back together.

So as mentioned elsewhere I am going for a few changes this year, mostly to satisfy my own curiousity.. as the boat was a good enough runner for a day to day skiboat last year.

Sorry for the photo quality this time around someone decided they needed my digital camera more than I did so I am down to just the phone for documentation purposes.

A couple of the block back from being checked and honed.

I spent a while deciding what ring gaps I wanted to run, eventually settled at .026 top and .026 for the second. Then it was only a matter of insert, square, measure, remove, grind, debur, repeat till done then repeat for the next ring.. here are the tools involved.

I measured the crank after it was ground and polished .010 under, but I still like to crush some plastigage to make sure, picture also shows the aftermath of being balanced, for the second time.

With the crank back in after checking clearance.

Lube and bearings used..

Then the documenation falls apart a bit and here we jump ahead to after the pistons, rings, connecting rods are all installed. Along with the cam, timing set, timing cover, waterpump, oil pan, lifters, and head studs. Nothing too exciting to note only thing different from the last time around at this point is the timing set. It was a comp cams piece that included a torrington bearing on the cam gear, no difference on the install except the thrust plate needed to be counterbored so the mounting screws would sit below the thrust plate surface so as to not interfear with the bearing.

Same retrofit roller rockers as last year..

The last peices that took the longest to decide on and obtain, trickflow twisted wedge heads.

Nothing terribly out of the ordinary with the exhaust ports. They are located in the stock location. However the Valve cover rail is raised to allow you to fit rollers under stock covers. This causes me a problem in that I already have a few pairs of tall covers and I can't use them with these heads and my Hiteks, so short valve covers have been ordered.

More shots of the Exhaust ports, these are "fast as cast" heads which are claimed to compete out of the box with CNC ported heads. However there was bowl blend performed on them at Total Engine Airflow

The combustion chambers are fully CNC machined, and nicely done. A big problem with my last set of heads was serious sharp spots between the valves that took a lot of work to smooth out. All that smoothing out added a lot of volume and cost me compression. Here the heads started at 66cc and they were milled down to 58cc while at TEA to give me the around 10.3 compression I was looking to get.

The whole schtick to these heads is that the valves are rotated from the stock location. In essence this moves the intake valve closer to the intake port opening and the exhaust valve closer to the exhaust valve opening. The valves are 2.02 on the intake and 1.60 on the exhaust.

I tried to get a few shots of the intake port but its much longer and harder to do with a cellphone..

The upgraded springs and tool steel retainers were specified by the cam designer and builder Jay Allen from Camshaft Innovations

The 3/8" arp studs and twisted wedge specific guideplates come with the heads.

Thats it so far, my pushrod length checker was out of its range so I am waiting for a full set to come in the mail, once that arrives I can measure that out, check clearance and bolt the heads down.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 8:30am
Thanks Joe for taking the time to share with us,a big help on how to build a max hp motor.
I think a new U tube clip is on its way
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 11:57am
Joe, Are those guide plates standard spacing? I recall seeing the adjustable Isky plates on your old pair. The larger valves require a larger valve centerline and the standard guide plates don't work. I'm wondering if the offset valves gets the centerline back to original specs.

I found that out when assembling the valve train with my RHS heads. No matter what I tried I couldn't get the rocker arms to sit straight, a little internet research and I found the Isky plates. I will never stop learning with this hobby although I'm a little surprised they came from the head Preparer with the incorrect guide plates.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 3:14pm
Alan the geometry is beyond me, the valve angle changes as well as the rotation. They utilize standard rockers and relatively standard pushrod location and the guideplates are twisted wedge specific jobs that are parrallelagrams not rectangular if that makes any sense. Will try to get some better pictures when the correct length pushrod checker is in hand. FWIW my previous heads didnt work with the head preparers provided guideplates either, hence the isky adjustables were added.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 3:41pm
Very cool. Care to share what Jay Allen projected for hp/rpm's for this little package? Ive gotta imagine youre in the 450+ range, no?

FYI, Ive got those props from Acme that I told you about on the way to me for testing. I bet you'll have a better chance at turning them than I do... Ill see if Bill will extend my trial period through GL. Specs on the 2 are 13.25X15.5, .060 cup (1490) and 13.5X16, .105 cup (1492). Both are 4 blades, unfortunately.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 5:06pm

and the guideplates are twisted wedge specific jobs that are parrallelagrams not rectangular if that makes any sense.    

Makes perfect sense and I guess if I had looked a little closer at the pictures and actually READ your captions I would have seen that

I'm assuming that boat is coming to GL this year?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 2:35am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I'm assuming that boat is coming to GL this year?

Good golly I hope so, I am itching to get into skiing and this is the boat in line to pull me so if it aint in the water a week before the 4th of july things might get drastic.

Tim, do what you can to hold onto them props I have accepted that I am going to be running a 4 blade so at this point its just a matter of what runs best, a 16 pitch maybe the ticket..

As to HP, no comment, I dont think it actually matters nearly as much as the overall combo and how you get it to the water.. anyway it dont matter too much as long as it is at least 410hp.. hate to get beat by a stock small block chevy.

Today I got the heads drilled, and installed and the intake rough ported. Tomorrow hopefully I see if the stock height valve covers allow the new heads to play nice with the old hiteks.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 1:02pm
the 1492 is the RH version of the 547 wich is stock in Malibu v-drives.

I'm very interested in knowing how those props worked for you Tim.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

the 1492 is the RH version of the 547 wich is stock in Malibu v-drives.

I'm very interested in knowing how those props worked for you Tim.

I believe the 1490/1492 are also just smaller bore (1" vs, 1-1/8") of some of the CC V-drive props.

My guess is that I wont be able to turn them- Ive found my boat performs best with the smaller 3-blades that have me turning 5200. But who knows! I bet Joe could make good use of them though.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 4:07am
Well I am a bit behind on the updates, its been slow, weekend in the adirondacks with the boys, business trip to the city, waiting for parts, standard June activities.. but some things going on...

So I went with an MSD distributor this year, its not the ready to run one its one that requires an MSD box. I mainly wanted the MSD because they are easier to tune than the DUI and the stroker really wanted a more intial timing last year and greatly disliked too much final timing, anyway I also wanted a rev limiter option, and possibly in the future an on demand spark retard for use with the nitrous.. and this is a hobby so I also wanted to play with some MSD gear.

Anyway you can get a big block ford marine msd distributor, but not one for a 351w. To get to a 351w marine distributor you need to change out the gear that it comes with and use whats appropriate. You can also get a special msd distributor for a 351w that is designed to work with the Edelbrock Windsor Jr manifold I am using but you cant get that in a marine version, so I needed to take a flap disk to my new distributor and manifold immediately.

This won't give me 360 degrees of rotation but it should give me more than enough. Once the clearancing was complete I could mask off and paint the manifold.

I also got my pushrod checkers and spent some time deciding what length pushrods would be appropriate.

I decided my intake and exhaust valves needed different length pushrods, 8.050 for the intake and 7.850 for the exhaust. The 8.050 was expected but the 7.850 was shorter than expected, however it was what I came up with over and over. That meant buying individual pushrods instead of a set, and they only ones in stock were the TFS models they hurt my wallet but I couldnt wait for special order..

Once all 16 finally arrived from 4 different shipping locations I was able to install the new comp cams ultra gold roller rockers

Then I used some gasinich to glue the intake manifold gaskets to the heads, cut out the water passages to size, and applied some high temp silicone red both around the water ports and along the valley rail front and back.

Then we were ready for the intake manifold installation

I also got my new speaker socks in

Not exactly the color I was hoping but I like them.

Turns out the tall valve covers I have will not work with these heads and the exhaust manifolds so I need stock height covers. Havent found the right ones to make me happy yet, the tricklow ones looked fine and fit but they dont have a hole for the pcv valve or breather so they have to go back. I will leave the stock ones I use for painting on till I get new ones in I guess..

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 11:19am
Joe,

With all the shiny valve train parts it would be a shame to cover them up.

You need these; Valve Covers
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 2:11am
Joe, when you installed the heads, wich water passages did you cover with the gasket, those on front of the block or those in the back?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 11:42am
Luchog, I just put the label front to the front, I believe that ends up covering the front and leaving open the back but don't quote me.

I got the boat all wired up and in the water finally on Friday. She is past the first oil change and hopefully after this evening will be ready to come out and get her second one. Looks like we will have two days of pretty poor weather tuesday and wednesday so I will hopefully pull it out, modify the box to fit with the new spark arrestor (currently I am running the original one cut way down), install some board racks, switch to synthetic, and call it good enough to finally get some watersports in.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 12:33pm
congratulations on the new assembly!!!!

I also think the ones covered are the ones on front, the confusion began when I discovered my gaskets are tagged front on every tip/every side!!!!!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 12:47pm
Final pre GL updates...

The boat runs really well. It has not stalled in two weeks of use, even when the idle was rediculously low. I don't know if the msd ignition does anything on the top end but it is just really darn smooth on the low end and mid range, and this is with a single plane intake and relatively big cam and heads, I couldn't be happier with it (famous last words). But, I haven't had the opportunity to really get into tuning her, between someone stealing my hand held gps and the perfect pass tach and speedometer limits being exceeded I can't say much other than she goes past 5k rpm and can bury the airguides.

I have been waiting on a larger spark arrestor to do some tuning as the motor is running really rich, but it won't arrive before GL so I will leave it rich and with the 29 degrees of total timing I have been running to keep it on the safe side. That should leave me some room to try some bigger props, if I can get a hold of a prop puller and trbenj comes through with some demo acme units.

Other than prop changes and fitting the bigger spark arrestor (if it ever arrives) in the next month, I will probably wait till september to move to the bigger carb get into serious tuning and increase the rev limiter.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 1:07pm

That should leave me some room to try some bigger props, if I can get a hold of a prop puller and trbenj comes through with some demo acme units.

You can count on it Joe- Ill bring my prop kit as well. Cant wait to go for a ride!
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 10:32am
I saw that you brought home another lost puppy. What's going on with this boat and motor?
Jim
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 11:34am
Hello Jim,
    I think it is recapped somewhere else around here, but the long and short of it is I still have the 83 and still working on it. I had the new 408 running pretty much just like I had hoped for and then it suffered massive internal failure. Sounds like the final tally from that little issue is a broken crank, broken block, broken oil pump, two bent rods, 8 bent valves, and one scarred pistion. I have since sourced all the reparts to replace, had the heads reworked, etc etc... I am basically sitting on all the other parts waiting for the connecting rods to show up and have the rotating assembly balanced. I still have hopes to get that engine put back together and in the boat by the end of year.

In the meantime I have put together and have been running a "backup" engine that allowed me to get pretty much a full summer out of her.

Current plan is to keep the 83 pretty much forever, would eventually like to touch up the stripes and a few gelcoat chips along the chine, and add some lights but she is pretty useable as is..

I will start another thread up when I start to rebuild the motor...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 5:06pm
On the coosa board, anyone find a source for this for a decent price?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 5:08pm
Get set up with an account at your nearest CompositesOne location. Nautiquefrk may be able to point you in the right direction.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 7:51pm

Carpet is on order, and I dropped a pile of parts off at the powder coater at lunch today, and that should be the last money I ever spend on this boat.... yeah right..

Enjoying the thread, but this is a classic "quote"!!
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
  Share Topic