Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much water?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tranner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much water?
    Posted: June-23-2004 at 2:27pm
Just converted my 85 2001 from closed cooling to raw water cooling and I'm not certain if the system is drawing enough water to keep the boat cool.

Question: Does the hose coming off the top of the impeller pump that supplies water to the t-stat housing supposed to fill up entirely? Seems like I'm barely getting water dribbling up to the t-stat housing? I've checked for leaks or obstructions everywhere else and it is ok. Could it be that the Impeller Pump itself is bad. By the way, brand new impeller so that isn't the prob
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2004 at 4:15pm
Maybe the pump is backwords? and that's why there's no water filling up. It should be full.

Why did you switch from the closed cooling? seems like a lot of extra work. Did you put a sea strainer inline with the pickup hose before the tranny cooler.
Tranner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2004 at 7:52pm
I bought the boat 2 months ago from a guy who ran it in salt water 24/7 and never flushed it. Needless to say, the motor was shot as well as many other misc items. One of these rusted/shot items was the heat exchanger. It was so clogged, rusted, and beat up that I would have had to replace it (+$400). The raw water cooling stuff ended up costing me only $120 for everything.

The impeller pump is not backwards. I am sure of this because it gets water to the t-stat housing but not very much. New impeller, new gaskets, checked for leaks, everything has been diagnosed and I don't get it.
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2004 at 12:54pm
An impeller type pump will move water when installed backwards, just not very much.

The '78 starts with a 1.25 inch thru-hull to the tranny cooler and then a 1 inch line to the pump and on to the t-stat housing. Break the hose loose at the t-stat and you will get a nice healthy full hose stream at idle that increases with engine speed.

Did you use all 'hardwall' type hose that will not collapse under suction? Is the cam wedge that compresses the impeller vanes installed in the pump? Dumb questions, but need to be asked.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 12:06am
A new impeller throws water!

Check your rotation to make sure your rubber vanes are moving correctly. I've been told they'll self orient, but wouldn't count on it. I bump the starter and watch the rotation every time I install a new impeller to make sure the vanes are in the right direction.

I agree with Yellowdog's...the impeller suction will collapse a garden hose and a pump running backwards still pumps but at a reduced volume.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 2:08am
That's my question, how are you running the motor? You don't need a raw water pump if you are running with a "fake lake" with pressureized water. If you are running on the water,floating on a body of water, pull all output hoses off the pump, one at a time, and check flow. Even with new impellers a pump won't operate properly with the bottom cams worn.I have a double chamber Sherwood on my Chrysler, and it is very easy to install the pump upside-down because the two mounting bolts are semetrical.
trauski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trauski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 3:03pm
one thaing to consider is that the engine could be so clogged up from salt water use that the water will not flow thru it easily. i have seen salt water boats run warm as they have retricted water pathway due to corroison.i would do a good engine flush if possible to clean out some of the rust in there.
1993 ski nautique,pro-boss,14/16 OJ 4-blade,perfect-pass,dual mirrors on top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic