NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Heads...again

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2006 at 3:39pm
It's one of those days... you should see the emails I'm flinging around!

edit: YES! It was my goal this morning to get this thread to 7 pages.

So how 'bout them heads Alan? I say we fill each head's chambers with booze, then race each other sucking them dry.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2006 at 5:05pm
Quinner said you are good at sucking things dry.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2006 at 6:57pm
Oh my gosh! Actually it was his turn last night.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2007 at 3:50pm
Finally got around to CCing the GT40P heads. They are 60cc's. I have a side vent window that I have not installed yet and it is drilled for the plastic latch so it worked perfectly, just laid it over the chamber and filled through the hole till full.

Started tearing down the motor and found I need to replace both exhaust mainfolds, they're both rusted through and starting to crack.

Pulled the water pump as I have to replace that also and found a good deal of rust and scale. This boat came from texas and was probably never winterized. With only 280 hours on it when I bought it I suspect it sat for long periods of time without running and rusted up. One more good arguement for filling the block with antifreeze in the winter as opposed to draining I guess.

Good news is I got all my chrome back yesterday, looks awesome. I bought all new chrome pieces for the steering bezel that are still available and had the speedo bezels and a few other pieces rechromed. Looking pretty good now.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 10:05am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Started tearing down the motor and found I need to replace both exhaust mainfolds, they're both rusted through and starting to crack.

Does that mean you'll be upgrading to some Hiteks?

Glad to hear you confirm the chamber size of the P's. That should clear up any "confusion" anyone had.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 10:53am
[QUOTE=TRBenj]
Does that mean you'll be upgrading to some Hiteks?

QUOTE]

I've got a few options and must admit I looked at the old thread on the HiTeks but that's just a little too much money right now. I could buy a lot of new ski toys with that kind of cash.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 4:40pm
Allen, I'm going to be replacing my manifolds come spring, what is your time frame for needing a set. The ones I have, the manifolds are three years old PCM's and I had the riser cleaned at that time as well. You usually don't need to replace the risers unless they have seen saltwater. Otherwise a good cleaning now and then does the trick.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 6:05pm
Chris, I was wondering what you were going to do with those manifolds once you upgraded, I am interested. I guess I can wait til spring but I'd like to have the boat running by April. I shot Rob an email too since he's dropping in a new powerplant his may be available sooner.

Shoot me an email with a price please, maybe we can work it out. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 2:27pm
My head upgrade just turning into an engine rebuild. Pulled the heads and found some very unusual pitting on the cylinder walls. Looks like corrosion where the rings sat for a very long time. Another reason that a low hour boat is not always a good thing, I really think this boat sat for a very long time without running.

Motor is out with the help of my wife(what a great helper). We'll get the block to the machine shop and see what they suggest altought I'm sure we'll go .030 over with new pistons and new cam. Trbenj, I'll give Cam research a call this week and see what they suggest for a mild hop up. See what this does to the budget and go from there.

I must say I'm a little surprised to find this because this thing ran very strong and used no oil but better to find it now than have trouble in our already short season.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 3:17pm
81- my lord does that suck. On the positive side, that boat should really roll when it's all done.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

81- my lord does that suck. On the positive side, that boat should really roll when it's all done.

I'm really not that upset about refreshing it, I run it pretty hard and in the back of my mind I was sort of second guessing adding horsepower, compression ratio and turning up the rpm's on a 26 year old motor. Besides, now I'll be able to detail the engine as it goes back in. Should look good in a couple months.

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:32pm
81, I have a set of slightly used Keith Black Silvolite hypereutectic pistons P/N KB-181 and Seal Power rings for sale. They are .030 and I beleive would be great for your project. I also have 2 camshafts listed under the for sale link if your motor is std. rotation (turns a LH prop). All parts fit the 351W.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 9:12am
Nutty, he has a RH motor like most CC's prior to '89.

Alan, kind of a bummer on the motor. Sounds like youre making the most of the opportunity, though!

With a fresh rebuild, I wouldnt hesitate to spin that motor a little higher. My cam makes power up to 5200 RPM, and I would suggest something similar for your boat. When I spoke to Cam Research they told me they didnt have any reverse rotation blanks- but I want to say someone here has gotten one from them since then. Hopefully they'll be able to help you out.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 10:01am
Both Clevite and Federal Mogul offer cams for reverse rotation engines. You can get a cam with the same specs as the Clevite cam I have for sale on this site (except reverse rotation). If you want a special order cam (of any rotation or specs) Comp Cams can grind it for you. They are located in Memphis, Tenn. They also have a very extensive website. Check them out!

Former boats:
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 10:42pm
You guys are lucky,when I did my 302 in the early 90's only Crane made a reverse rotation cam and I had a choice of one.Even at that they had the firing order wrong and when it started it ran like cr*p! I ended up pulling the valve covers and figuring out which valves were opening and when.I was not a happy camper since they scare you about cam break in and here I am sitting with an engine that won't go over 600 rpm's,turned out ok in the end.They also would not sell direct,I had to go thru a marine dealer and his mark up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 9:46am
You have a good point there Gary, the early 302's and all 289's used a different firing order then the more recent 302's and 351's. The camshafts are interchangeable on all SBFs (taking rotation into account), however using a camshaft with the revised firing order (302 H.O. and all 351Ws) will force you to change the firing order.

Former boats:
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 11:25am
<whoops>
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 4:52pm
These are the guys that will be doing the machine work on my block opel engineering anybody up here ever use them?

They talk a pretty good game and the shop is pretty impressive. Had an answer for everyone of my marine engine questions, Will probably drop the block off early next week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic