NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EFI Outboard Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EFI Outboard Question
    Posted: June-15-2021 at 9:37pm
Hopefully Pete won't yell at me for asking a question that is not about a CC, but I'm sure someone out there must be knowledgeable about such things.  The 2002 Mercury 4 stroke EFI on my pontoon boat died abruptly.  I've had fuel issues with it before and it coughs and sputters and surges and gives you some warning. While I was idling the other day it just abruptly died, so my first assumption was not fuel.  I may be proven wrong tho.  In doing some diagnosing, it appears my injectors are not injecting.  Two step test.  Pulled injector out and cranked it and new fuel shot out. Second test someone told me to try.  One wire into the injector is hot.  Tested that, yes, hot.  Second wire should pulse hot when cranking.  Nothing.  So it appears my injectors are not getting the signal to fire. So my question.  How do I trouble shoot that. I've read about ECMs (dont even know where/what that is) and capacitors and all sorts of other stuff that is foreign to me. Can any one give me a simple explanation of where to go next?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Hopefully Pete won't yell at me for asking a question that is not about a CC,

Larry,
You're good. I wish I could help you with the problem. I hope someone can.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 6:45am
Don't be cheap Larry, spend 5 bucks on a manual download Wink

Click on the link below and find your engine (or is it a motor)

I don't know what the manuals are like but there's bound to be 5 dollars worth of info in there.

Deep philosophical question...............why are outboards called motors?
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 6:50am
Outboards were electric when they first came out ??
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 9:24am
Well Larry

Curiosity got the best of me and I went and forked over 5 bucks for the download of a manual from the link above.

It was 481 pages and lots of good info and well worth it.

Now I have to go find a 75 or 90 HP motor or is it an engine to match my new manual  Wink

67 ....there are no right answers to deep philosophical questions.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 9:27am
Are you sure the pulse should not be ground? If the injector sprayed when you cranked it sounds like its working. Did it pulse or spray continous????
Outboard manuals are definetly worth it. there are also some good forums out there to try. 
Good Luck. 
Big smile
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 9:32am
Dam trick questions
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 9:34am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Now I have to go find a 75 or 90 HP motor or is it an engine to match my new manual  Wink

I've got this doorknob, see, and now I just need a house to fit it...

I've got a new Merc outboard manual sitting around somewhere I'll send to someone for the price of postage.  It was for my 1987 Black Max 200 HP.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 1:32pm
If the injector sprayed when pulsed look elsewhere for the problem.  Verify spark.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 3:22pm
I fixed my Honda 50 hp outboard by having the marina upgrade the engine to a 115 hp Yamaha. The best $13,500 I’ve spent lately. Face it the motor is almost 20 years old, these outboards can be difficult to troubleshoot.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

I fixed my Honda 50 hp outboard by having the marina upgrade the engine to a 115 hp Yamaha. The best $13,500 I’ve spent lately. Face it the motor is almost 20 years old, these outboards can be difficult to troubleshoot.

So, if for example you had a 2004 SN with the Excalibur Chevy engine, I guess you'd replace the engine soon since face it, the engine is almost 20 years old and these inboards can be difficult to troubleshoot too. Wink
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 8:11pm
Let me correct/refine last night's remarks.   I said the non hot wire should pulse hot when cranking.  I misinterpreted what I was told.  As Martin said, and as occurred to me in the middle of the night, the second wire is a ground, so of course it did not pulse when I cranked it.  So tonight I hooked up my light correctly, to each wire to the injector.  It would flash once and then not again as I cranked. So I am half hopeful that what ever triggers the injectors might still be ok, but that there is something that makes it quit after one fire.  So to further clarify, Mark, no it did not squirt, so it is still focus of my investigation. Any new thoughts based on tonight's observation.

Ken,  SURPRISE!!!  I sprung for the $5 manual.  Time to start reading.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 8:42pm
Injectors normally have the 12V supply constant and are pulsed by a earth (-ve) from the ECU. When bench testing injectors just use a 9V square battery as the pulse is normally very short from the ECU.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 9:34pm
Not exactly, my 2004 SN 196 with the Excalibur 330 hp engine runs fantastic a,s I treat it to regular oil changes, impeller changes, etc.  Outboard motors are pretty foreign to me, everything is crammed into a small space. The Yamaha I bought should last until I’m in the grave. To each his own, I bought the pontoon in 2004 and had many years of excellent service out of the 50 horse Honda. Very impressed that the 115 Yamaha gets better fuel mileage than the old Honda.  I’ve been blessed with an excellent retirement income so the money was well spent. YMMV!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 7:35am
I guess if something is foreign to you, then replacing it with another foreign to you outboard must be the solution.

You didn't mention the reason for replacement, maybe it was more than a minor problem.

Funny thing, if you give an outboard the same care as your inboard, it'll last a long long time

Besides, Larry is cheap and probably had a hard time spending 5 bucks on the manual Wink
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 9:20am
Wasnt that bad, Ken, they are letting me make payments on it.  I'd even take it to a shop just to get it done (never thought Id feel this way about a tooner, until one was given to me)  The boat repair business is crazy now.  My friend's Supra died recently.  He went to the local shop and found out there were like 50 work orders ahead of him.  I checked in with another small shop, an old man, a one man shop, works in his garage/backyard.  He is two months out.  Good time to be a mechanic, I guess.

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 5:01pm
KENO I bought the pontoon a 1998 Harris with 50 hp Honda for $9k in 2004. Probably put 300 hours on it with no problems. Started having electrical issues a few years ago. Local marina on the lake worked on it a few times to no avail. I do not have a trailer and the boat is at my dock. Marina recommended upgrade to a Yamaha, they made me a good deal and I bought it. I’m having it serviced annually and don’t expect any problems.
Thanks to a booming stock market if I run into any issues I can handle it.  Everyone on this site is not a super mechanic like you and Pete.
By the way a friend of mine just sold a 1989 Supra for $3k more than they paid for it 2 years ago. People are going nuts buying boats now.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 7:31pm
Well the way I see it, here on CCF you have plenty of  people who are trying to get a cheap or free older boat in running condition on a budget and they probably don't really need to or care to hear about your financial situation and how you just bought a new motor for 3,4 maybe 5 or 6 times what some people have in the whole boat(and trailer).

And ..........Pete may be a super mechanic, but I'm just a junior apprentice backyard hack Wink

If you want to see it differently, that's fine with me.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 9:43pm
KENO I understand wanting to stretch a dollar but some of us live on large lakes and don’t want to be in a precarious situation with darkness approaching in a distant portion of the lake. Everyone is in a different place.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 6:15am
DV

Time to get back to our regularly scheduled programming Wink
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 9:41am
Problem solved

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2021 at 6:56am
So Larry............how's that Merc treating you?

Who's winning, you or the motor?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2021 at 9:02am
So far, Mercury is ahead.  I threw in the towel and took it to a shop, which is a challenge in itself.  The local shop, right up the road, according to a friend who inquired about servicing his boat recently said there were like 50 boats in the queue ahead of him.  That is typical of that shop, you can usually count on getting your boat in about November.  I followed up another recommendation for an old guy that works out of his garage and backyard, about 1/2 hour away, but surprisingly, he said he was about 8 weeks out.  Greg said there was a good shop up by him, and the owner there said he could get to it this week, So I made the hour trip to haul it up there.  Fingers crossed.  I hated to give in, but I dont have the diagnostic equipment or tools that shops have

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic