Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NOT GETTING FULL POWER

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2004 at 1:21pm
I spoke with Steve and he has the DIS
docmartini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docmartini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2004 at 3:20pm
Yes, I do have the DIS.

Here is a picture of it.
I got another carb to test out on my boat last night. I will be testing tonight to see if that was my problem. Wish me luck. I do not think this is the issue, however I have to rule it out once and for all. I want to go water skiing so bad.

Steve
STEVEN MARTINI
70 degress and sunny

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docmartini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2004 at 3:22pm
By, the way. PCM does not make this part anymore and they have replaced it with a standard electronic distrbuter system. I would like to know where I could find one of these
STEVEN MARTINI
70 degress and sunny
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2004 at 4:26pm
It looks like a magnavoz system I would try the auto parts store. If memory serves me right the coils are one big potted assembly and you have to replace all at once but maybe thats just for the V6 applications. The picture looks like it is broke up into two seperate coil packs and you could get by with one. Check the plugs and look for a fouled plug or plugs and trace it back to the coil pack and replace that one first. GM scraped Maganavox's system a couple of years into production as well and replaced it with there own system.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 12:57am
Man am I glad mine has breaker - point ignition! But it looks like something I'd like to work on. Good luck!
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 10:17am
66POLYNOGGIN..i cant find your # call me this week when you get a chance 371-1852.
kenny g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docmartini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2004 at 8:20pm
Just wanted to let you know that my problem was the carb after all. Even though I had it rebuilt by San Diego Carburator and they refused to believe that it did not work, it was that after all. I made them give me another carb and know she is running like a top. Thank you for all of your help, I have learned a lot and appreciate the time that you took to help me out. If you are ever in S.D and want to go for a ski, I am your guy. Take care,

Sincerely,

Steven Martini
STEVEN MARTINI
70 degress and sunny

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docmartini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 3:50am
Well I am back guys.

She is not running like a top anymore. Eric Raymond, (a great guy who let me borrow a 4160) that I met on this listserv. I have tried three carbs and keep getting three different problems. I am still convienced that it is the carb however. I have done numerous checks ont eh iginition system including hooking a timing light up to each spark plug wire and testing them under loads. I think it is possible that I am getting the problems in the fuel system. Some idle good, some idle bad, all have the same top end problem. Sometimes I get full top end speed, sometimes I do not. Dont know what to do.
STEVEN MARTINI
70 degress and sunny
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 12:00pm
Check your fuel pressure and make sure it is steady and does not change with rpm, or it changes very little.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 3:14pm
Steve you sound like you need a good ski to ease the pain. How about Thursday or Friday?
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 4:16am
Different Carb's have different jets and Power valve or springs and metering rods so expect different results unless they're all tuned to your engine. Tuning one is not difficult and you can come close at idle with the proper tools. Just learned this the hard way myself.

Whether or not you do it, or someone else, measure your engine vacuum at idle. Knowing Vacuum is more important than the Carb selection. After you get the Power Valve set correctly, then the best way is to try WOT and then try to pull a skiier (recruit a big boy...it's a test!). After you get past this then start checking for color indications on the plugs. Have you mentioned the plug color?

A "good" Holley man can do all this in a few minutes. A friend of mine who races will measure engine vacuum to set and also test when the Power Valve kicks in as well as tuning this with the vacuum advance and then the Secondaries. Your Carb Re-builder should be able to do this. If not, he's just another guy with a $2 bottle of carb cleaner and a set of gaskets.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic