Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 sn2001 cuts out at higher RPM? Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 5:29pm
Wouldn't surprise me either.

If you want the actual instructions, call SkiDIM! I never installed one, not sure if I ever saw the instructions with my own eyes... Though I did have a few conversations with Vince regarding general PCM wiring (not specific to EI), it's been 10 years since I created that diagram/picture.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 5:43pm
I want to see the document, not talk to someone on the phone about it. Does he have the Prestolite instructions filed away with the Dead Sea Scrolls?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 5:59pm
No the Dead Sea scrolls have been found. I think they were stored in the Amber Room.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 6:20pm
Obama's birth certificate
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 6:24pm
He can probably fax it to you- they've sent me diagrams in the past. Or maybe they can email it now. You can try communicating with them telepathically, but it's probably quicker to call.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 8:01pm
Great! Let me know when you get it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Great! Let me know when you get it.

Tim,
Fax or email, when you do get it in, make sure you post it. Also create a link in the FAQ thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 11:49pm
I'll cal Vince next week, as I can't stand this threadjacking cliffhanger!

Not going to post copyrighted material though.

I did look at the install data on the blaster 2 coil & it says to use resistor for 'points or amplifier circuit'.

I bet I got away with it for 400 hours because we never run more than a few hours at a time, & temps here are rarely above 90F.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 11:46am
Chris, the Prestolite may be like the Pertronix Ignitor II in which it doesn't require a minimum resistance, but I suspect it does.

No harm in scanning and posting copywrited material.
SN2001_1984 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001_1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 10:18pm
UPDATE ::

The nautique was on the lake today and runs AMAZING - thanks to all your help everyone!

I pulled the gas tank out last night and emptied it, a lot of 'junk' in the bottom of it.
Bought new gas line at the marina today.
Got home and decided to remove the 90degree fitting at the top of the pickup tube (as seen in pic in earlier post). The fitting had a screen below it and it was PACKED with leaves and debris. Cleaned it out, new fuel lines installed and fresh gas in a clean tank....
ALL IS WELL! Boat runs GREAT.....I love these things!!!
Thanks again!
1984 Ski Nautique 2001 :: 351
Original factory ordered color combo from Silver Spray Sports: Fenton MI
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2015 at 2:19pm
Called Vince.

FYI, Vince was great, spent >5 minutes on the phone with me, reading off the Prestolite EI Installation instructions & helping me interpret them, all with no sale in sight.

Presotite recommended a coil with 1-2.5 ohms primary resistance & no ballast resistor in circuit.

According to Vince, most Prestolite EI module failures happen when guys put Accel or blaster coils with it

He said if my coil wasn't getting hot, it is OK as is (without resistor).

Just for kicks, I might use my IR thermometer & check coil both ways.

Hope this helps everyone!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2015 at 2:25pm
Glad the instructions address resistance. So even though you know you're below 1 you're relatively safe until things start to heat up. What exactly is "hot"? Coil temperature is an odd way of monitoring the module, just wire it right and don't unnecessarily damage anything. These aftermarket coils can take the heat, the modules can't.

Know your coil resistance!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2015 at 3:36pm
In a ski boat I'll take reliability over maximum performance any day. Excessive current and heat will eventually kill electronic components.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic