Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

velvet drive rotation in neutral

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pn48513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pn48513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: velvet drive rotation in neutral
    Posted: May-20-2006 at 2:17pm
i recently purchased a 79 SN and it hasa borg warner velvet drive tranny. forward and reverse gears work, but in neutral the shaft still spins and drives the boat fwd at idle speed. i assume there is suppposed to be a neutral on this and it is not supposed to spin. Anybody else ever had this issue?

Thanks
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 2:35pm
there's to much tranny fluid in the case or the clutch plates are too close together. Mine does this and I live with it. The guy I had do mine tweeked it a little since I have a pretty strong motor.
pn48513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pn48513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2006 at 11:43am
79 nautique, thx. is there a good shop or reference you have found to work on this? I'd like to get the clutch plates adjusted.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2006 at 12:47pm
There is no external adjustment, the clutch pack is shimmed deep inside. Too much shim will do this. Has anyone been in the trany?

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2006 at 12:54pm
I would say you need to remove some tranny fluid.
pn48513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pn48513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

There is no external adjustment, the clutch pack is shimmed deep inside. Too much shim will do this. Has anyone been in the trany?

yes the guy i bought it from said he just had the trans rebuilt.
pn48513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pn48513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 10:20pm
thx i will give this a try.
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2006 at 8:10am
I'm with 79 on this. When I rebuilt my trans several years ago, the most difficult part was measuring the clearance required in the clutch pack. I obviously put in a snap ring that was a bit too thick (they give you a selection of snap rings in various thicknesses), causing the clutch pack to be too tight. It came out great except the slight forward movement while in neutral. Like 79 said, I just live with it, not worth pulling the tranny to fix. You just have to be a bit careful and make sure anyone driving your boat is aware of it!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2006 at 9:26am
I suspect, if you do some extended reversing, the forward pack is slipping plates and disks at about 2x the rpm it does in nuetral (if the prop were stopped).

This could wear off just enough of the forward plates to make this symtom stop, maybe not right away because they will expand a little from the heat, but next cooldown and startup it could be better.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
pn48513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pn48513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2006 at 11:04pm
thx all for the responses. i appreciate the advice. One other question, if i crawl under the boat and grab the prop, i can turn it while the trans is not turning. it takes some power but it seem slike there is a fitting in the middle of the shaft, inside the boat that allows this slippage. is this natural? seems to me this could cause slippage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic