Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 318 idles good but dogs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mustang Sally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang Sally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 318 idles good but dogs
    Posted: March-18-2015 at 2:00pm
New to the club just picked up this 68 mustang has 318 with holly marine 650 sat for 1.5 years new gas and additive fuel filter pump new carb whistles at low rpm picked up slow to plane get a little carb sputter back fire once in while think it need the 450 cfm and possibly points adjusted not sure what's the cause any suggestions appreciated
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 3:46pm
Isn't that what chryslers do?

Start with an ignition tune up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang Sally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 4:17pm
Sounds good will do,, lol ya I didn't know always had ford
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 4:58pm
I'd go through the ignition system with a fine tooth comb. Points, condenser, dwell, timing (initial and final), cap, rotor, plugs and wires.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 12:22am
I agree with the previous experts. I had similar symptoms and they recommended the same advice.....and were correct!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 12:48am
Whistle could be an indicator of intake leak. An easy test is to spray carb cleaner around the carb base (while it is running) & see if that changes RPM.

Have fun with your new boat!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang Sally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:38pm
Good tip I'm having trouble locating the right distributor cap no name or info on what brand any recommendation? Thought west marine but they are clueless, trying to post pic but not sure how here
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:54pm
Your learning fast grasshopper Find out what distributor you have or take a pic and post it and on the header of this page on the right is N3 Boatworks,call Zach there with the info and he'll set you up.
For pictures go to post reply,not quick reply look for icon with arrow and tree and use that to put up your pic,might have to resize,most use photobucket to do that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Mustang Sally Mustang Sally wrote:

west marine but they are clueless

West would be THE VERY LAST PLACE to go for our vintage parts. I'd go to Autozone before West!!!!!

All the advice that has been given is great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 8:08pm
NAPA
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:48am
While you have the cap off of the distributor verify that the weights for the mechanical advance move freely on their pivot pins and the springs are intact. The symptom you described aligns with a failure for the timing to properly advance with increasing engine rpms.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic