Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35563
Printed Date: May-19-2024 at 3:50pm

Topic: 68 318 idles good but dogs
Posted By: Mustang Sally
Subject: 68 318 idles good but dogs
Date Posted: March-18-2015 at 2:00pm
New to the club just picked up this 68 mustang has 318 with holly marine 650 sat for 1.5 years new gas and additive fuel filter pump new carb whistles at low rpm picked up slow to plane get a little carb sputter back fire once in while think it need the 450 cfm and possibly points adjusted not sure what's the cause any suggestions appreciated

Replies:
Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-18-2015 at 3:46pm
Isn't that what chryslers do?

Start with an ignition tune up.

-------------

Date Posted: March-18-2015 at 4:17pm
Sounds good will do,, lol ya I didn't know always had ford

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-18-2015 at 4:58pm
I'd go through the ignition system with a fine tooth comb. Points, condenser, dwell, timing (initial and final), cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: March-19-2015 at 12:22am
I agree with the previous experts. I had similar symptoms and they recommended the same advice.....and were correct!

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-19-2015 at 12:48am
Whistle could be an indicator of intake leak. An easy test is to spray carb cleaner around the carb base (while it is running) & see if that changes RPM.

Have fun with your new boat!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:38pm
Good tip I'm having trouble locating the right distributor cap no name or info on what brand any recommendation? Thought west marine but they are clueless, trying to post pic but not sure how here

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:54pm
Your learning fast grasshopper Find out what distributor you have or take a pic and post it and on the header of this page on the right is N3 Boatworks,call Zach there with the info and he'll set you up.
For pictures go to post reply,not quick reply look for icon with arrow and tree and use that to put up your pic,might have to resize,most use photobucket to do that

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-19-2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Mustang Sally Mustang Sally wrote:

west marine but they are clueless

West would be THE VERY LAST PLACE to go for our vintage parts. I'd go to Autozone before West!!!!!

All the advice that has been given is great.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: MustangMadness
Date Posted: March-19-2015 at 8:08pm
NAPA

-------------
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH

Posted By: Mountain Man
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:48am
While you have the cap off of the distributor verify that the weights for the mechanical advance move freely on their pivot pins and the springs are intact. The symptom you described aligns with a failure for the timing to properly advance with increasing engine rpms.

Print Page | Close Window