NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who knows about GT40 engines?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who knows about GT40 engines?
    Posted: March-25-2013 at 12:02pm
Hey guys, getting a checklist ready for the season of things to do. My '99 needs a little tuning. Last year I bought it with about 425 hours and I put about 15 +/- hours on it. I brought it to MacCallum's Boathouse for a little work. My buddy Jeff also did a little work to the engine. It got new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, impeller and steering cable. I also put some fuel injection cleaner in the tank. Every once in a while after skiing the course, the engine sounds like the RPMs are dropping too low after being put into gear. So much so it feels like it could stall but doesn't. I had the idle adjustment tuned by MacCallum's. Also sometimes after idling and then pulling a skier, it hestitates slightly. I read about a low pressure fuel pump part for about $160 that could be the issue. Is this something anyone else has heard of? Also, are there any fuel screens or parts that could be clogged? I'm hoping I can fix this minor issue myself. Thanks in advance for advice.

Thanks,

Ken
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 2:11pm
You want to find out if it's fuel pressure first. There is a great thread out there about checking fuel pressure for hesitations/lumpy idle issues- I believe Lewy2001 knows a ton as do a couple others. I'd purchase or borrow a high pressure fuel gauge and contact Lewy!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 3:19pm
Thanks, Joel. I'll track down Lewy. The issue is minor and intermittent. I wonder how hard it is to chase. Other than that the engine is strong!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 9:58pm
Ken an old thread you may want to have a look through.

GT40 Fuel Supply Issues

Joel hope I dont get the blame for this one.

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

If my GT40 starts loping this summer, I'm blaming you guys for talking about it so much and jinxing it.

Seriously though, as these powerplants start getting past 15 years old it's going to be interesting to see how often we start talking about them! I've seen more GT40 threads over the past few months than I have since the site launched.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 11:13pm
The very first thing to check is to see if the short fuel line is cracked inside the fuel cell.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 10:38am
What does the short fuel line look like? Do I need to access where the fuel filter is for that? Thanks for all the info.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 10:48am
Ken it is the hose from the high pressure pump to the outlet on top of FCC. The hose is known to crack and create fuel pressure problems. This is the FCC with the casing removed to access fuel filter. Have you changed the fuel filter inside if not order one and the hose and do at the same time.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 10:56am
Thank you, Lewy. I found the same write-up on PN. Looks like this is a common issue with the GT40. Where do I get this exact hose? I truly appreciate your help. This will hopefully save my from towing it to my Nautique dealer!!

Gt-40
Check the black three inch fuel line connected to the low pressure fuel pump inside the fuel water seperator. Big failure item on these motors. I had mine fail last year. It is a cheap part that will render your boat useless. I was told correct craft should have recalled it but for whatever reason did not.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 10:58am
Yes, I have changed the fuel filter and that didn't help the hesitation issue. It sounds like it's starving for gas momentarily and then it kicks in.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Where do I get this exact hose?
Gt-40 Check the black three inch fuel line connected to the low pressure fuel pump inside the fuel water seperator. Big failure item on these motors. I had mine fail last year. It is a cheap part that will render your boat useless. I was told correct craft should have recalled it but for whatever reason did not.

That pump you see is actually the high pressure pump. Skidim sell the a Hose Kit for a couple of dollars but it is just ordinary fuel line that you could buy locally at any reputable auto shop. If you order from Skidim get a couple of the GT40 Relays to make the freight worth while. They are a common failure item also.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 10:49am
Thanks for all your help, Lewy. As soon as the weather warms up, I'll get those parts installed and let you know. Where is the fuel relay located on the engine? Looks like an easy install.

Ken
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 10:57am
Ken, There are two relays (small back cubes) at the back of the engine next to the ECM (Computer) on the same metal plate as the three circuit breakers. I have a picture some where but cannot find it at the moment it must be in my old Photobucket account. About to go to bed will find it in the morning for you.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 11:06am
Thank you, Lewy. Have a good night!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 9:39pm
Ken, the position of the relays in the below picture can easily be reversed as the wiring will fit to either relay.

The EEC relay supplies the power to activate the fuel pump relay when the ignition is turned on. The ECM (computer) supplies the earth to operate the fuel pump relay and start the pumps.

A good diagnostic tool is listening for the initial fuel pump prime while turning the ignition switch on. The pumps will run for a few seconds to make sure this is adequate pressure to the fuel injection rail.

You can easily tell which relay is the fuel pump relay by the green/yellow wire. This is the 12V supply to both fuel pumps.

89 Ski

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 10:32pm
Great info. I never took pics but its less daunting seeing what you're getting into.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2013 at 5:22pm
Wow, thanks, Lewy. That makes life so much easier. I'm going to see if N3 Boatworks stocks these parts. I see a nice 10% CCF discount applies. Will let you guys know how I make out.

Chris, this was what you were telling me about at Tim's last year. You guys both seem to think it's that small hose.

Ken
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2013 at 7:21pm
For under $5.00 I would certainly start there! Throw in a filter to eliminate that piece as well.

Zach at N3 should be able to get you the parts. I got the hose from SkiDim last year and they knew what I was dealing with right away.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2013 at 7:22pm
Ps- how's busted up wheel doing since I saw ya at Tim's? Out of the boot yet?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 4:22pm
Chris, I just had ankle surgery, so I went from a boot to a cast. They put a hefty looking deck screw through my ankle bone to heal it. Lesson learned, stand up when you know you have no chance of making a buoy! Thanks for asking.

Just ordered the fuel hose and two relays from SKIDIM. I'm told that both relays are identical. Funny how they do two different things but they're the same. Got a new oil filter, just need to find out what oil the GT40 drinks. Lastly my winch strap that the Ramlin keeps putting holes in. Good to go for now. Will let you guys know how the fuel parts fix the momentary hesitation issue.

Ken

whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Thank you, Lewy. Have a good night!

I think my GT40 relay just died. Cant locate relay, I have this same plate pictured but no two relays below. Where are my relays?? 1996 Sport Nautique GT40
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 7:53pm
OK, found them. Does anyone know the automotive equivalent so I can buy them locally?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by whiz05403 whiz05403 wrote:

OK, found them. Does anyone know the automotive equivalent so I can buy them locally?

Any brand plus pin configurations are standardized. Just make sure you get one with a high amp contact rating. 20 or even some are higher.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 2:05pm
Just went out and bought two replacement relays, here are some automotive equivalents:

-BWD R4810 Advance Auto Parts $15.75
-Relays NAPA ECH AR174
-Hella 4RD 960 388-31.   1688314CI

Unfortunately, the relays must not be the problem. Still no 2 second fuel pump noise with ignition turn on.

Whats next? Fuel pump(s) I have replace the smaller pump a couple years ago, would be surprised if it broke already.

Ideas?

Thanks

Mike
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 4:32pm
check for voltage at that fuel pump when you turn the key on
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 7:50pm
OK, will try that in the AM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic