NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alignment Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 2:28am
Chris,
I only had to adjust the 89 once when I first got it. When I checked it almost annually nothing had changed still within .003 limit. Always considered that was an indication that my stringers were fine. With the large surface area under the engine cradle it would take quite a bit of rot to have an effect though.

The 98 Sport was spot on when I checked it straight after it arrived in Australia. The prop took quite a few hits last season. When I did some prop reshaping after these hits. I used Joe's method of checking the ease of turning the prop shaft as a indication the prop shaft was not bent or the alignment had changed. Checked it at the start of this season still spot on.

We are into the last few days of our vacation at Whistler BC. Sad the holiday is ending but it will be nice to get back to some sunshine and boating in Australia.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 5:53am
Originally posted by Tide Tide wrote:

I've owned my boat for over 12 years and have never done an alignment.

Ditto
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 9:39am
I only check mine when I pull the engine.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

So you do yours annually?

Just kidding man!
Greg

86 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 5:21pm
In my opinion a good portion of the enjoyment of owning an old classic boat is the time you spend relaxing while polishing, waxing, and maintaining it. Just as recreational oil changing seems to be a gearhead pastime I would venture a guess that there are recreational aligners. Being an incurable OC, I will probably join their ranks.
On a cold winter day there are few things as satisfying as going to a warm garage, liquid refreshment in your hand, music playing in the background, and the familiar aroma of a boat bilge. Some of the most enjoyable times of my life with family and friends flood back whenever I experience it. Boat maintenance is therapeutic. I feel truly fortunate to have an opportunity to enjoy these things.

Sorry for the thread jack, but I am feeling really lucky to be a part of the CCF family today and want all to know how much I appreciate all of the help and advice I have received from so many of you. THANX.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 7:28pm
I'm more curious to know who has actually loosened the couplers, rechecked alignment, and found it to be bad... I have a hard time believing that a properly aligned driveline will lose alignment without hitting something or an engine mount loosening up.

I totally understand the importance but I don't understand how such a stout series of components works it's way out of alignment. I've seen rubber components wear to fix a problem with the physical alignment of the metal joints but not the other way around.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

I don't understand how such a stout series of components works it's way out of alignment.

John,
You may want to use a different word than "stout"!! Alignment will change from the boat on the trailer to the boat in the water. It's the reason Eric likes to do engine alignments in the water. He's stated it several times that it always surprises him how much it does change.

The biggest issue affecting alignment is water absorption both in wood stringers and polyester resin. You do realize poly resin is hygroscopic correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 7:15am
I replaced the shaft at the end of last season and the boat has probably had about 10hrs (guess) with the new shaft so as part of my spring service I will be checking the alignment before I head into another full season, if there is no alignment problem it will probably take 10-15 minutes to quickly check so its no big deal and peace of mind for very little effort.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 11:40am
I definitely understand polyester resin can absorb water and I also understand that some boats have wood stringers. I even understand that a boat flexes differently when on the trailer and in the water. However, when the boat goes in the water, wouldn't the hull always goes back to it's original location? If it doesn't, wouldn't something be severely damaged which prevents the hull from going back to it's natural state?
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 3:17pm
i aligned my '88 after having the transmission rebuilt about 3 or 4 years ago. checked it last summer (unbolted coupling) and it hadn't changed. i'll probably continue to check every other year.
on my '99 SAN i have only done the prop spin check because...well...the coupling is a PITA to get to...spins by hand real easy though...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

when the boat goes in the water, wouldn't the hull always goes back to it's original location? If it doesn't, wouldn't something be severely damaged which prevents the hull from going back to it's natural state?

I really couldn't say if a hull goes back to it's as built original state. The poly absorbs water easy but it does dry out easy. Considering that, an alignment check is important within the first 25 hours.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

i aligned my '88 after having the transmission rebuilt about 3 or 4 years ago. checked it last summer (unbolted coupling) and it hadn't changed. i'll probably continue to check every other year.
on my '99 SAN i have only done the prop spin check because...well...the coupling is a PITA to get to...spins by hand real easy though...

Nick,
Unbolting the coupling is not needed for a prop spin check. In fact, you do not want to unbolt it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 3:06pm
pete, i meant that i unbolted and checked alignment with feeler gauges between coupling halves...i'm not as dumb as i look...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

pete, i meant that i unbolted and checked alignment with feeler gauges between coupling halves...i'm not as dumb as i look...

I got it now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

So you do yours annually?

Just kidding man!

For a while I was seeing annually go by pretty quickly! It doesn't need to come out this year, but I could do it for a ceremony of some twisted kind.

I'm looking forward to burning some gas with yall this year. That part I have figured out.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic