Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

nautique engine woes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slickster View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nautique engine woes
    Posted: March-31-2004 at 4:37pm
I have an 85 nautique that runs great, for a while, after running 10-20 minutes it runs terrible after restart, it gags, pukes and chokes, barely making it back to the dock, after cooling for 1 hour the process starts all over, I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, (spin-on), coil, ignition wires, run with the fuel cap off, what's next? The ignition was updated to electronic before I got it, it still has the ballast resistor, is that right? thanks to all, Mick
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2004 at 6:52pm
Some electronic ignition kits use the balast resitor some don't it all depends on the resistance of the system.

But your problem sounds like the choke is staying on and you need to replace the choke stat on the side of the carb. Start the motor up and let it warm up, pull of the spark arrestor off and verify that the top butter-fly plate on the primary side (forward two)
is straight up and down, if it is not then the choke stat is bad OR you are not getting power to it.
slickster View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2004 at 7:51pm
The choke has been disabled, my son tested out the boat today and as usual it ran great then lost power, he removed the spin-on fuel filter and it was nearly empty, does the fuel pickup have a screen on it? How is it removed? What about the check valve? Any info is appreciated..Mick
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2004 at 1:19am

is the choke flap removed from the horn or free to flap in wind?

before you do anything, run the boat off a temporary fuel container and see how it operates after it gets up to temp. spin-on filters can be clogged with water even though they look clean.

if it runs well, you have found the problem and i would just take the tank out. an 86 would be due for a good cleaning. replace the tank to spin-on line if it is original, it should be delaminting internally by now.

repost if it is not fuel related.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2004 at 10:15am
how is the choke disabled? and to Tom's point is the choke flap removed? with the fuel filter being half empty it does seem there lies the problem.
lmp1152 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmp1152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2004 at 9:15pm
My 1979 ski nautique ran perfect last year. It has 1300 hours on it. Tried to start it yesterday. Will not start. It fires and then i get a brree noise any suggestions?
ccwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2004 at 10:36am
I have also seen the choke hot wire too long and lies on the manifold. When it gets hot it melts just enough for a slight shun.
slickster View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2004 at 5:39am
Finally ran the nautique on a separate fuel supply, bypassed the tank, line and filter, ran great, pulled the vent cover and then the pick-up tube, screen inserted in the pickup, was clean, checked the check valve and it was gummed up, will replace along with the fuel line and removed the screen, (has an inline screw-on filter) and will let you know how it runs....what do you want for 19 years old??? Mick
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2004 at 12:21am
Next year you may want to line your tank. I pulled mine out and bought a tank liner from a motorcycle mag. About $40 for a rust free tank, lined tank.

For a few $'s more you can simply lay some fiberglass across the bottom...mine had rusted from the bottom "outside-in". The old tanks look great on top....but the bottom was ugly!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
rickt View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2004 at 1:58am
i had the same problem with my natique. it went on and on. i never really gave it much thought then it would run great and then not start. it turned out to be a carb problem. once my boat warmed up the gas would percolate over and flood the motor. easy fix. rebuild the carb
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic