NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 correct craft purchase help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 8:26pm
I would say $2200 is a deal for that amount of damage. Ask it they will use epoxy resin - pay extra for it if you have to, worth it.    He (the PO) must have beached it hard to cause damage from fins to strut!!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 2:32am
Well, the saga is over. I brought the boat back to the PO and he refunded the money in full. I had a second opinion on the glass work and that was only the beginning. There were stress cracks from bow to stern on both sides and the sides were wavy. I called the PO and told him about the new findings and he offered a refund. I, of course, jumped on it like a pig on poo.

Bottom line... I love the type of boat and will now be shopping for another correct craft in better shape for 5-6k range. Anybody know of one in the NC area?

Thanks All!
87 Martinique - first ski boat ever... bad glass, I'm chicken.. bought a 2001 Chaparral Deck Boat. :)
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 2:38am
It is hard to tell if you could seal it up and run it for the season. Pete can probably give you some good perspective. As far as doind it yourself you could fix it for about 10% of your estimate. It is easy to make fiberglass strong. the hard part is getting it to look nice. My guess is you would grind it out the damage from the inside and rebuild and then remove the damaged gel gel from the outside and apply new as needed. Should not take you many more hours than the dealer. you would have to pull the gas tank, rudder... I am to cheap to pay someone for a job like that. My boat is just not worth the money, but my time is another story. I had a hull delamination from the shaft log to the drain plug I repaired last year. Had to lift the engine, it was not fun, but I had it back on the water for a few hundred and a few weeks.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 7:02am
Dave, Just been catching up on your issues. Don't let one bad experience of a boat put you off looking and getting another Correct Craft. There are some very nice examples out there around the price range you are looking at and they are just awesome boats.
As you have seen already there are a lot of guys on here that really know their stuff and are always willing to help, most/all small or medium issues can be easily solved with a few pictures and posts and a few searches. You won't find a better resource on the internet than this site, its been a massive help to me.

Good luck on your search for another boat.
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 1:57pm
That's the best possible outcome. Nice of him to refund the money, but he never should have sold it to you in the first place. That's a parts boat and he knew it all along. For 5-6k, you won't find a perfect boat, so fully inspect and water test before money changes hands. Remember, with pre 93 CC's there's wood structure under the floor--and wood rots.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 5:54pm
Thanks everyone for all of your help with the boat and troubleshooting. I'm still in shock he took it back. I think that really tells you how honest the guy is. I don't believe he thought he had trouble and he probably feels he can get more for the boat. We'll see about that. I say "good luck" to him.

Now off to boat shopping again. I'm really not a skier nor is my family. I question if these types of boats are really for me. Although, the boat had such a nice feel in the water and I truly loved the sound out of the exhaust. I'm very torn on what's right for me. I'll just have to take my time.

I do hope I end up with another Correct Craft some day so I can keep y'all for the support and friendship that you have offered.

Take care, Dave
87 Martinique - first ski boat ever... bad glass, I'm chicken.. bought a 2001 Chaparral Deck Boat. :)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 7:09pm
Dave,
Anything is repairable but from you describing the damage, I'd say that boat simply wasn't beached, it went up and over the beach! Lots of work needed plus, the full extent of the damage may not be realized until the boat is opened up. I've got a feeling the seller knows the full story. Taking it back was a smart move. We'll find you another CC and in better shape!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 7:28am
Quote I'm really not a skier nor is my family. I question if these types of boats are really for me.

These boats are about having fun and they offer flexibility that you won't get with other types, Ski, Wakeboard, Wakeskate, Surf, or even tube. A `classic`(loose term) Correct Craft will do them all and you can do them safely especially important with a young family.
If you look at some of the other boats out there within a similar price range or age your options are really limited, none of the other boats out there offer the flexibility, I/O's may appear attractive options but just forget the wake on them for wakeboarding or surfing (don't believe the marketing hype), some other inboards manufactures offer some of the benefits but you won't find the quality as good (build or wake)

Any boat you choose within your budget is going to have some issues and some level of maintenance but the work is pretty simple, I'm on my first ski boat (my first boat ever) which I only purchased in October of last year and so far some basic maintenance has been all that's needed, I sit behind a computer all day so if I can perform the basic maintenance anyone can, help from the Poobah's is always good.

Driving an inboard has been a learning curve but a few lessons from our club driver has built our confidence and now both myself and partner now hold the SBDA(Ski Boat Drivers Award) which is required at our club, driving experience will come throughout the season but we are safe.

Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 6:09pm
I just found another one. Same year and same model. It can be found here on Craigslist. I just spoke to the owner and he's a loyal Correct Craft owner of many years. He found a spot in the floor behind the drivers seat that he brought to have investigated/fixed before selling. He told me he would call me once it's checked out and I will then look at the boat with the floors up and inspect with a correct craft volunteer. Maybe I'm back... who knows!

I fell in love the first time out with the other boat even when I could barely get it out of the hole. I'm hooked because of the boat and the good folks here.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic