Print Page | Close Window

87 correct craft purchase help

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Common Questions
Forum Discription: Visit here first for common questions regarding your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25784
Printed Date: May-15-2024 at 8:39am

Topic: 87 correct craft purchase help
Posted By: Mebirkle
Subject: 87 correct craft purchase help
Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 10:41am
Hi there,

It's time to go to the experts! I have never owned an inboard before and love this correct craft on eBay. Can someone tell me what to look for as a newbie for this type of boat and give me a rough purchase value. I am going to try to get it for 3500.

Any common problems to be aware of? I am buying it for a family boat with two young kids who would love to be pulled around.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-CORRECT-CRAFT-MARTINIQUE-?cmd=ViewItem&item=320893700342

Replies:
Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:01am
Dave - Hate to burst your bubble, but that boat either already needs, or will soon need, new wood stringers. Being an open bow, that repair will be very difficult & expensive. I would look for a boat that is 1993 or newer - those don't have wood stringers.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:05am
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-CORRECT-CRAFT-MARTINIQUE-?cmd=ViewItem&item=320893700342" rel="nofollow - Link to boat Dave is looking at

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:10am
Of course the 93 or newer is at least $11 grand. Is the boat near you that you could check it out? Search out Tims video on checking for stringer rot. the boat could go a few to several years before needing stringers, probably long enough to get $3500 of entertainmnent out of it, then you could restore it, sell it or part it out and get your money back

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:12am
Thanks. I am reading all about stringers on the site. The bubble is gone! The boat is 2 hours away from me and the auction is almost done. I will call the owner to see if he knows the difference between stringers and string cheese. Maybe he has had them checked out.. It's a reach at best.

Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:34am
Thanks! I just saw Tim's video and am back on the wagon. Thanks to Tim for an awesome little tour of stringers.

The interior seems so clean is seems worth a trip!

Let's assume the boat checks out and the stringers seem solid, motor runs well, etc.?? Is the price fair?

Thanks again for everything!!

Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 2:22pm
I just spoke to the owner. He had some floor work done around the front bench and put in captain chairs around 2 years ago. Apparently, the stringers were super solid per the repair person. The guys seems very honest and will let me check out stringers when I get there.

He did mention some spider cracks in the gel coat. Is this normal for the age of the boat? I assume yes, but want to make sure.

Thanks again all. I may be a new/old boat owner very soon.

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 2:25pm
IMO, if you get that boat for $3500, you might get locked up for stealing. Knock on wood (pun intended) my '85, with 1800 hours on it, is giving us loads of fun with questionable stringers. There is lots of discussion about stringer rot, but if a boat is properly protected and stored, stringers do not have to rot. There are plenty of soft stringers and floors out there, but it's not always the case.

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 2:59pm
LOL... that's kind of what I'm thinking tullfooter! The price is right and if it's solid, I'm on it. Don't go sniping my bid. :)

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 3:59pm
If you have the owners # and can let the auction run out (no one has bid yet with 4 hrs to go) Arrainge to go check out the boat. If he is anxious to sell you may save a grand. Don't buy a paint job. If you like the boat, go for a ride, bring a mechanic or a knowledgable friend to look past the excitement your seeing. If it floats and does everything right make an offer, if the friend says walk away, walk. There are and always will be others.

There are two happy days in a boat owners life.... The day he buys a boat and the day he sells one. Take your time.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Jllogan
Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 4:00pm
there is a big difference between a little rot and the boat falling apart. There are many stringers that are wet and are beginning to mold but honestly if cared for the boat could make it another 10 years. If you get for 3500 and get ten years of use out of it, it was a good buy.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5792&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1986 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 4:20pm
I wish I could get a mechanic out there with me, but I don't have one. I'm pretty handy and check it out for the most part. I do need to take my time, but I am not the patient type. I actually just decided I need a boat yesterday as I was out with a friend. We are not skiers, but do enjoy the water. A top of some sort will also have to be in our future for the boat (bimini). This just seems like too good of a deal to pass up right now.

It sits winterized and the owner will get me on the lake once I get past the inspection. I'm going to make a deal directly with him.

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 4:58pm
Look for any signs of anything leaking, water, oil, trans, and ask as many questions as you can no matter how trivial they sound. Write them down beforhand do you don't forget any. See how knowledgable the owner is about his boat then make your offer. good luck

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 8:28pm
Dave - Good luck on this, just wanted you to know about the stringers - we don't like seeing a new boat owner find out he has a major repair right away (had one last week).

There may be a site member close to the seller who could look at it with you. You might want to title a new thread asking about that town.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:48pm
Thanks for the advice Snobsessed! I go see the boat in the AM. If I have any hesitation, I walk. I watched the video 3 times and am going to pull up the removable floor as the video suggests and do some knocking. Nobody bid on the boat so I'm good for a lower offer if need be, although, I think the price seems pretty darn good.

My latest hesitation/concern is the lack of reverse capabilities a inboard provides. I suck at backing up to begin with. I hope I can get used to the bump in a hurry or my new boat experience is going to be super ugly. Anybody have some warm and fuzzies about switching from an outboard / deck boat to a ski boat and maneuverability?

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 12:34am
Boat looks like a good deal! you will not have a problem with the reverse.It will take a few times to get used to it. Just dont go into docks or other boats with any speed and you will be ok.

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 12:46am
Is it possible to get a bimini top for the boat made? Sorry that I'm all over the place with this post. I keep coming up with last minute thoughts. :)

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 1:06am
Yes, the bimini can be procured new for about $300. You might also find one used - the one for my boat is up in the garage rafters, doesn't fit with our extended pylon.

Good luck.

Inboards are much cooler than outboards - you won't miss the noisy sputtering, smoke-generator.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 3:58am
Are these boats good cruisers as well as ski boats? I will be cruising and coving about 95% of the time and doing very little skiing/tubing/wake-boarding. I just love the thought of the power/rumble of the engine, the awesome seating arrangement, and the swim platform for the kids. Pulling the kids will come later as they get older (4 and 2 now).

Oh well... excited but scared! Good night!

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 9:20am
Dave,
Reverse in an inboard is just a matter of getting used to it and knowing about the prop walk they al do. I have driven inboards all my life and feel very comfortable with them in a reverse situation.

Yes, you can use the boat for cruising but it does depend on the size of the lakes you are on.

Good luck today.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 10:41am
I'm on falls lake in North Carolina and Bugs Island / Kerr Lake in NC as well. Thanks all!

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 10:50am
Dave - One of the great things about these classic inboards is that you can fix everything yourself, except maybe the tranny. Very low maintenance costs.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 7:43pm
Bought the boat for $3500. I'm in love so far... pics and issues to follow.

The floor had a bouncy spot between the captain chairs almost in the bow. I knocked on the stringers and everything seemed super solid. The gas is a little stinky from the lack of use last year and being winterized in October, but the boat started right up in one turnover. It was awesome!

I can't wait to give it a shake down on the water. hopefully soon if I can just stop working for a day. :)

Posted By: Waterdog
Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:02pm

Congrats on your new boat. A 87 Martinique will handle Kerr Lake great when the lake gets a little choppy.
I'd like to have one when we're on the main lake at Gaston as well but we spend most of the time on Pea Hill Creek.
I keep saying were going to Kerr for the day but it aint happened yet.

-------------
- waterdog -

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3896&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - 78 Ski Tique

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:06pm
Congratulations! I feel for the price, you got a great deal.

Regarding that bouncy spot, time will tell but sometimes you do need to wonder about the "repair" guys out there!

Originally posted by Mebirkle Mebirkle wrote:

I just spoke to the owner. He had some floor work done around the front bench and put in captain chairs around 2 years ago. Apparently, the stringers were super solid per the repair person. .

That spot is very prone for rot problems. I'd say the repair was a piece of ply screwed down where he could get the screws to bite. Just keep an eye on it and go boating!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:12pm
I'll be watching that spot like a hawk!

Is there an easy way to drain the stinky gas out of the tank? I don't imagine there is a drain hole and there is a mechanical fuel pump. I don't want to have any ethanol damage to start my life off with this boat.

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:24pm
Get one of those inexpensive plastic fuel siphons with the pump on one end to start the action.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Big t
Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:39pm
I have found that acouple of feet of tubing and a primer bulb from an outboard works great and is a cheap way to do it ( mr. Cheapskate hear )

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 9:29pm
Congrats on the "new" boat. You will love having an inboard, turning in reverse is over rated compared to what you can do in the opposite direction.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: HatterBee
Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 9:46pm
Nice job and Congrats. I posted on your other thread about trying to help you out. I will at Lake Jordan on Thur, if I can help.

-------------
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25004&title=1977-ski-nautique-rebuild" rel="nofollow - My Rebuild Thread

Date Posted: May-01-2012 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Big t Big t wrote:

I have found that acouple of feet of tubing and a primer bulb from an outboard works great and is a cheap way to do it ( mr. Cheapskate hear )

Does the hose go right in the tank filler tube? Isn't there is siphon block hiding in the honey hole?

Posted By: HatterBee
Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 1:08am
Maynot be a anti-siphon device. You could always try it. You could also take out the fuel sender and enter the tank that way. I good think will also be to jack the boat to the rear and to which ever side you place your suction device in so you can get all the old fuel out.

-------------
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25004&title=1977-ski-nautique-rebuild" rel="nofollow - My Rebuild Thread

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 8:41am

Does the hose go right in the tank filler tube? Isn't there is siphon block hiding in the honey hole?

The anti siphon is on the fuel outlet.

Tony,
I have a old outboard primer bulb but I've neber thought about using it for starting a siphon. I'm going to try it. Thanks for the idea. I use the old bulb for priming fuel to carbs.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: grim007
Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 12:48pm
congrats on your new toy, don't forget to change the fuel filter if you suspect the gas to be bad and after 30 years of driving a I/O boat reverse in a inboard was different but not hard to master, good luck and have fun

-------------
shaken not stirred

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 4:55pm
It's simple to siphon the fuel out with just a hose/tubing.
Get about a 6' section of 3/8" - 1/2" clear hose. Stick one end in the tank to the bottom. Take the other end and keep it about 1' above the height where the hose goes into the tank letting the middle section hang. Suck until the fuel is level with the hose going in the tank (should be 1' below your end) then quickly take the hose out of your mouth and cover it with your finger (air tight). Lower your end down below the end in the tank to your receptacle and release your finger.
And presto fuel starts flowing and none in your mouth!!!

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:01pm
Thanks grim.. there is a very large metal canister fuel filter mounted to the bow side in front of the motor. I was told by the PO that there is a water/fuel separator filter in place. Could this be it or is this just the normal filter for the boat? The casing looks as old as the boat and it's the only inline fuel filter in sight. There is a line out to the fuel pump and a shut off valve.

I guess it's time to start some new threads... :)

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:02pm
P.S. the hose won't go down the filler tube into the tank so I assume there an inline screen or something blocking it. I bought me a cheap hand up. Oh well... have to get to the gas another way to pump it out and drain it.

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

It's simple to siphon the fuel out with just a hose/tubing.
Get about a 6' section of 3/8" - 1/2" clear hose. Stick one end in the tank to the bottom.

The hose doesn't go all the way down in the filler tube to the bottom of the tank. It get stuck in there. Something is blocking. I'll have to access the tank another way.

Thanks!

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:18pm
It won't have any screen or any roll over anti-siphon valve in the neck like a car would. It may make a bend or two you may have to twist the tube around a little to get it through the bends. I like to use 3/8" tubing it seems easier to get it through bends. My '95 makes an "s" bend in about a 1' distance and I can get a tube through.
The only other way would be to pull the tank or hook up a pump to the fuel line at the filter.

And yes that sounds like the fuel/water seperator the cansiter stays and the element inside gets replaced.

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:52pm
I'll get back to jamming that hose down the spout. I guess I'll spin the filter off and change the element. Let's see what it looks like. I took a pic but not sure if I can post yet.

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 7:47pm
I doubt you will be able to spin the filter housing in place. If it spins great if not take it out put it upside down in a vise then give it a spin.

Upload your pics to something like photobucket then you will be able to copy URL link and paste.

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 8:12pm
There should be a drain plug at the bottom of the filter cansiter shell. You can remove that & any water in there will dribble out. I would just do that for the short term.

Getting the canister off can be a bear, even in a bench vise.

You will have plenty of other items to debug right away. You can get a new filter from SKiDim or My Correct Parts for about $15.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 9:09pm
You can also get the filters at a autoparts store.(not one like Autozone)
Wix makes one for it.

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

There should be a drain plug at the bottom of the filter cansiter shell. You can remove that & any water in there will dribble out. I would just do that for the short term.

Getting the canister off can be a bear, even in a bench vise.

You will have plenty of other items to debug right away. You can get a new filter from SKiDim or My Correct Parts for about $15.

Good call SNobsessed! I'm going to just drain it for now. I have about 10 gallons drained out of the house that connects to the filter. I attached a cheap walmart variety hand pump to it. My forearms are getting quite the workout. I hope that tank wasn't full. I'll hit the filter next. Tomorrow I get a depth finder on it.

Can someone give me a ballpark of depth of water I can go to / draft? It looks like it'll site barely in 10 feet of water without losing a prop (ok, a little exaggeration). 4 feet???

Thanks all!

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 10:11pm

Can someone give me a ballpark of depth of water I can go to / draft? It looks like it'll site barely in 10 feet of water without losing a prop (ok, a little exaggeration). 4 feet???

Thanks all!

2.5' if you're on plain and moving along at a decent speed. 3.5' would be safe for just a SNW speed. Getting up on plain with the aft dragging, then I'd say 4.5'

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:25pm
Remember it is not just clearance but also what your cooling system can suck up from the bottom. You don"t want to idle a beached boat. Most Here would say you don't want to beach a boat anyway. Do as I say not as I do.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:17pm
No trim? I'm learning so much about inboards after the purchase. Is it basically half to full throttle until out of the hole and no tweaking with trim at all?

P.S. I'm going to keep all the stupid questions in this thread. :)

Water trial tomorrow if all goes well.

Boom!

Date Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Thanks all!

2.5' if you're on plain and moving along at a decent speed. 3.5' would be safe for just a SNW speed. Getting up on plain with the aft dragging, then I'd say 4.5'

Petes right on, i have kissed the bottom with the prop in about 2.5 feet so thats the bare minimum

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5792&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1986 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:20pm

Wix makes one for it.

I use the wix 51515

-------------

Date Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:27pm
I must sound like such a dork.. LOL

Date Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Wix makes one for it.

I use the wix 51515

Thats the oil filter #

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-03-2012 at 3:00pm

Wix makes one for it.

I use the wix 51515

Thats the oil filter #

The Wix part number for the Fram fuel/water separator filter used in the mid 80's through early 90's is 33436.

-------------

Posted By: watrski
Date Posted: May-03-2012 at 3:31pm
You can buy it and use it until the stringers give out and then part it out for all of your $$ back.

Date Posted: May-05-2012 at 10:31pm
Bot has an issue getting out of the hole. It wants to stall as soon as I'm into the throttle a little. The carb is a year or two old. Seems like a fuel issue to me. I will try adjusting the floats tomorrow ala YouTube Holley video float adjust procedure. I will also try to get the fuel filter out and replace it. I can pound the throttle from neutral and get the RPMs up and get it moving. Nothing is good at 2000 RPMs. I am not a carb wrencher. We will see.

Can someone tell me hoe to run it off a garden hose? I was going to disconnect the screen on the intake side in the water line and run a hose from there. Sound about right???

Thanks all. I have another post about this in general but I am not getting much action.

-------------
87 Martinique - first ski boat ever... bad glass, I'm chicken.. bought a 2001 Chaparral Deck Boat. :)

Date Posted: May-05-2012 at 10:59pm
Best way to run off of garden hose is to use the bucket method - get a 5 gal bucket, have the garden hose filling it up. Have the disconnected RWP input hose (disconnected from strainer) pulling from the bucket.

Are the points & distributor cap healthy?

Check your timing advance too - you should start at 8-10 deg BTDC & advance to about 28 deg BTDC by 4000 RPM (Stock curve).

Another strong possibility is the accelerator pump isn't working. Look down the carb while someone pushes the throttle fwd. You should see a healthy squirt of gas, in both barrels. Check the simple stuff 1st before doing surgery on the carb.

Don't get discouraged, this sounds like a minor problem.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-05-2012 at 11:47pm
Thanks Snosessed. Is there a pic of the RWP? I know there is a strainer and standard water pump on the block. I guess there is another pump I need to worry about. ;)

I too, think its an easy fix whatever it is. I have never dealt with points before. If I pull the cap, what am I looking for to show that are toast? I would be happy to just tune the whole motor just in case as parts are generally inexpensive (yep, I will eat those words soon enough)

-------------
87 Martinique - first ski boat ever... bad glass, I'm chicken.. bought a 2001 Chaparral Deck Boat. :)

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 12:19am
That is what I use on all the boats from 1920 to current and the cars too the trick is to use a 5/16 Id line with a 7/16 od to pass the anti syphon valve

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 1:10am
Big T, you just bypass altogether the anti siphon gave? Interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 5:50am
Points are cheap, I would just replace them along with the condenser and start fresh, you will need a dwell meter and a timing light to get things set up correctly, there are lots of YouTube videos that will show you what to do. I picked up a dwell meter, timing light and a set of car ramps in a package deal on craigs list for $25.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 9:10am

That is what I use on all the boats from 1920 to current and the cars too the trick is to use a 5/16 Id line with a 7/16 od to pass the anti syphon valve

Tony,
Hint! Use the quote feature when answering so everyone knows what post you are responding too.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:21am
Sorry a little new at this!!!!!

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:32am

Thanks Snosessed. Is there a pic of the RWP? I would be happy to just tune the whole motor just in case as parts are generally inexpensive (yep, I will eat those words soon enough)

Here is a picture of a RWP - this one was out of alignment, hopefully yours is better aligned.

You can get a tune up kit from SkiDim or My Correct parts for $25. You definitely need a timing light, dwell meter is good but doing accurate feeler gaging only is a 2nd choice.

For a quick fix, you could run a nail file past the points to clean them up a bit. Check the advance weights (under the breaker plate) too make sure they are free & the springs aren't broken or rusty. One spring is supposed to be loose.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 12:00pm
I am on the anti-siphon valve now. Does the whole shaft have to be pulled from the top of the tank? I have the valve piece still on the line which I think is the only piece I care about. How can I tell if it bad? I cant blow in it. I guess it's barbed so I may have to cut the hose to get it free. I can shake it and hear the bearing in it rattle an no gunk on visual inspection.

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 12:16pm
Dave,
If you can get the hose of the barb, it would be best so you can check the other side of the ball check for junk as well. However, from your description (can't blow in it, no gunk and it rattles) it sounds like it's good.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 12:31pm

Dave,
If you can get the hose of the barb, it would be best so you can check the other side of the ball check for junk as well. However, from your description (can't blow in it, no gunk and it rattles) it sounds like it's good.

Gunk free. I used brake cleaner and blew it out. It was clean to begin with.

Thanks...

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 1:29pm

Thanks Snosessed. Is there a pic of the RWP? I would be happy to just tune the whole motor just in case as parts are generally inexpensive (yep, I will eat those words soon enough)

Here is a picture of a RWP - this one was out of alignment, hopefully yours is better aligned.

You can get a tune up kit from SkiDim or My Correct parts for $25. You definitely need a timing light, dwell meter is good but doing accurate feeler gaging only is a 2nd choice.

For a quick fix, you could run a nail file past the points to clean them up a bit. Check the advance weights (under the breaker plate) too make sure they are free & the springs aren't broken or rusty. One spring is supposed to be loose.

I just don't see a hose long enough off of the RWP (i am assuming the bottom water pump in the pic is the RWP) to get into a 5 gallon bucket. I can follow the hose from that unit all the way under the motor to the clear filter/strainer. Can I just disconnect the RWP side of the strainer and tie a garden hose to the end of it? I can then run to a 5 gallon bucket where I can hose feed? I am probably making this too complicated. ;)

-------------

Posted By: daddyo
Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 2:06pm
Hey congrats on the new boat. Listen to these guys, they'll get you fixed up. 87 brochure lists 33" as the draft, so 3ft and up and you should be good. Just a couple words of advice from a fellow first time inboard owner--practice reversing in open water before you start hitting stuff and always use the lockout button on the throttle, especially with kids on the boat. Git'er running right and enjoy it this summer.

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 2:36pm
The bucket method is best; a hose extension may be needed. Personally I have not used the bucket. I hose clamped the garden hose directly into the rwp input hose (at stainer or tranny cooler). But someone said that can rupture the RWP seal due to too much pressure, so user-beware.

I now have a 'tee' with valve & garden hose adapter to hookup water (search for TRBenj's thread on this)- it is about $12 investment, well worth it.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:31pm

The bucket method is best; a hose extension may be needed. Personally I have not used the bucket. I hose clamped the garden hose directly into the rwp input hose (at stainer or tranny cooler). But someone said that can rupture the RWP seal due to too much pressure, so user-beware.

I now have a 'tee' with valve & garden hose adapter to hookup water (search for TRBenj's thread on this)- it is about $12 investment, well worth it.

I am going the route of fake lake and 5 gallon bucket combo. I picked up an inboard plunger from west marine. I plan to use a short hose to a 5 gallon bucket and then a garden hose to that bucket.

Can someone point me to TRBenj's thread about the T? I searched and searched with no luck.

I am going to attempt to set timing for the first time in my life. Just bought a light. Floats and carb pump setting next. I am then heading to CC dealer in the AM for fuel filter and tune-up kit. I know I can order all online but I am the instant gratification type. Grass doesn't grow under this butt. ;)

Steps to fix hesitation/stall out of hole so far:

1. Drain gas and replace with 93
2. Anti-siphon valve checking/cleaning (valve was already clean and as far as I can tell, working)
3. Timing and cardboard adjust today
4. Fuel filter / distributor tune up tomorrow

I have to be close to getting to the bottom of it.

Thanks all!

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:32pm
Cardboard=carborater (I hate auto spell check)

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:43pm
Dave,
Here's Tim's thread: http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14046&KW=home+depot&PID=162507&title=running-motor-out-of-water#162507" rel="nofollow - running engine out of the water The key words can be a problem! I just put in "home depot" and it popped right up.

Please explain in more detail on how you plan on using both the fake-a-lake and the bucket at the same time.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:50pm

Dave,
Here's Tim's thread: http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14046&KW=home+depot&PID=162507&title=running-motor-out-of-water#162507" rel="nofollow - running engine out of the water The key words can be a problem! I just put in "home depot" and it popped right up.

Please explain in more detail on how you plan on using both the fake-a-lake and the bucket at the same time.

I'm going to run a hose from the fake a lake to a 5 gallon bucket that is being constantly filled by a hose. The fake a lake has a hose attached that is used to go directly to the house water supply. I'm sending it to a bucket. Haven't tried it yet. I hope it's not a dorky move. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 8:42pm
I still don't understand what the fake-a-lake is doing? Ether use it as designed or toss it and use the bucket - RWP suction side to the bucket and the garden hose filling the bucket.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:00pm
Just being dumb... it didn't work as it wasn't getting enough suction to the 5 gallon bucket through the hose from the fake-a-lake.

I did the normal fake-a-lake setup with the device under the boat to the garden hose. Man, that boat runs like crap. I crank the throttle and it hisses and stalls. I may need professional help. I think I'm going to bring it in the shop tomorrow or Tuesday and have them go through the carb, timing, etc.

I'm a little over my head and don't want to complicate things.

I wish I could do skype with someone from this site. I could walk you to the problem for remote consultation.   

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:08pm
Dave,
Now I got what you were trying to do!! I feel my problem with understanding what you were trying to do was never thinking someone would actually try your method! No, even a semi positive displacement pump like a rubber impeller type has limits on it's suction lift capacity.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:26pm
If you take it to the dealer, get ready to learn what "boat" really stands for, maybe once or twice over . No one but you knows your mechanical comfort level, but if you can isolate the problems you're having and post them here in a coherent manner, you'll usually get some good advice from the poobahs. either way, good luck.

Date Posted: May-07-2012 at 12:48am
Originally posted by daddyo daddyo wrote:

If you take it to the dealer, get ready to learn what "boat" really stands for, maybe once or twice over . No one but you knows your mechanical comfort level, but if you can isolate the problems you're having and post them here in a coherent manner, you'll usually get some good advice from the poobahs. either way, good luck.

I hear ya. I'm going for the peace of mind at this point. I know a good mechanic that can handle the carb and timing aspects. He's not marine, but it seems these inboards are like hot rods with rudders.

-------------

Date Posted: May-07-2012 at 11:33am
Poobas rock by the way! I'm going to give the carb floats look today by following the videos. Maybe I can move the boat along in the right direction.

Thanks all for everything. I don't know what I would do without this site. I'm donating now if I can't offer my expertise. At least I can do something.

Thanks, Dave

-------------

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: May-07-2012 at 10:57pm

Thanks for the advice Snobsessed! I go see the boat in the AM. If I have any hesitation, I walk. I watched the video 3 times and am going to pull up the removable floor as the video suggests and do some knocking. Nobody bid on the boat so I'm good for a lower offer if need be, although, I think the price seems pretty darn good.

My latest hesitation/concern is the lack of reverse capabilities a inboard provides. I suck at backing up to begin with. I hope I can get used to the bump in a hurry or my new boat experience is going to be super ugly. Anybody have some warm and fuzzies about switching from an outboard / deck boat to a ski boat and maneuverability?

maybe already been mentioned but a little tip on reverse, always go for the right side of a dock (whenever possible), then a bit of reverse brings the stern in nicely. Left side..reverse will draw you away. It's a different style; I'm sure I'm not alone in that having docked inboards for so long I actually have more trouble with outboards and i/o's, on the rare occasion I actually dock one.

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:14am
Looks like I am in for it with this boat. It needs some major glass work near the rudder/prop. Ther is an old repair that is cracking with some major chips coming out of it. I have 2 estimates for around 2k. The major crack goes to the rudder plate. There is brown drips coming out of the cracks so,I assume some wood involvement. Nothing is visible from the battery compartment. I will have pictures online tomorrow. Any advice would, of course, be appreciated. The good news is the previous owner felt pretty awful and chipped in some bucks towards the repair. I want it done right so I am trying to not cut any corners. One and done.

I am going to solve the hesitation out of the hole with a newly rebuilt carb. $229 to my door. I think it's cheaper than gettin someone to look at it and I can swap myself.

-------------

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:21am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

maybe already been mentioned but a little tip on reverse, always go for the right side of a dock (whenever possible), then a bit of reverse brings the stern in nicely. Left side..reverse will draw you away. It's a different style; I'm sure I'm not alone in that having docked inboards for so long I actually have more trouble with outboards and i/o's, on the rare occasion I actually dock one.

Thanks 74wind! Haven't heard that yet. What direction should the wheel be cut? I assume to the right but you know what happens when you assume.

-------------

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 2:36am

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Thanks 74wind! Haven't heard that yet. What direction should the wheel be cut? I assume to the right but you know what happens when you assume.

Turn the wheel in outboard or i/o & whole lower unit & prop turns, easily drawing the boat back in whatever direction you wish. Someone like Pete could better explain the dynamics, but an inboard prop is stationary and the rudder is behind the prop,so it is the rotational direction/torque of the prop that does much of the work in reverse. Work your way up to it. Practice on an imaginary dock in open water. Once you get a feel for it you might try (if it's not too rough and you've got a someone to pick it up) dropping a ski in and practice sidling right up to it (without running it over of course). Then if the docks not busy, do it a bunch of times till you've really got it right, then on a busy day you'll slip it right in like an old pro.

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 4:45am

Looks like I am in for it with this boat. It needs some major glass work near the rudder/prop. Ther is an old repair that is cracking with some major chips coming out of it. I have 2 estimates for around 2k. The major crack goes to the rudder plate. There is brown drips coming out of the cracks so,I assume some wood involvement. Nothing is visible from the battery compartment. I will have pictures online tomorrow. Any advice would, of course, be appreciated. The good news is the previous owner felt pretty awful and chipped in some bucks towards the repair. I want it done right so I am trying to not cut any corners. One and done.

I am going to solve the hesitation out of the hole with a newly rebuilt carb. $229 to my door. I think it's cheaper than gettin someone to look at it and I can swap myself.

Dont be afraid of the glass work, It is a job you can do yourself and with patience and posting some photos you can likely do it better. the hardest part is the gell work, but it is on the bottom where no one will ever see it, a great place to practice and learn. It is possible most of the work could be done on by grinding out the bad from the inside and rebuilding, saving the gel. The carb price sounds fair, what is the source?

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:16am

I'm buying the carb from http://www.nationalcarburetors.com. I think I can just do the swap myself. Yeah, in case you haven't figured it out already, I'm a little bit of a mechanically challenge soul.

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Dont be afraid of the glass work, It is a job you can do yourself and with patience and posting some photos you can likely do it better. the hardest part is the gell work, but it is on the bottom where no one will ever see it, a great place to practice and learn. It is possible most of the work could be done on by grinding out the bad from the inside and rebuilding, saving the gel. The carb price sounds fair, what is the source?

I wouldn't be afraid to work on a small section to cut my teeth on. This is such a structural point on the boat with the prop shaft going right through there that I'm bound to make it worse. I would take it on with a volunteer than know there way around. Can I fly you to my house to help? I'm not kidding. :)

Here's the https://picasaweb.google.com/105592924753255266439/BoatGlassWork?authuser=0&feat=directlink" rel="nofollow - pics of the situation. Please let me know your thoughts. I just want to get out on the water now. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:23am
try photobucket or hosting here. Cant see pics.

-------------

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:33am
Dave.
Hopefully that carb you bought is a marine version.

On the glass work, we have had several members take on the job in the same areas you would need to repair. They had no previous glass experience but with good picture posts and the guidence from the members here, got the job done with fantastic results.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:49am

Dave.
Hopefully that carb you bought is a marine version.

On the glass work, we have had several members take on the job in the same areas you would need to repair. They had no previous glass experience but with good picture posts and the guidence from the members here, got the job done with fantastic results.

Thanks! I did buy the marine version so I should be good there. I gave them the model number off of the carb that I have (which was one of their rebuilds so I know the models match).

Does $2,200 seem like an outrageous estimate? He's planning 3 days of labor at $75/hour and about $300 in materials. The previous owner is kicking in $500 which is really nice of him.

I just don't have the time an energy to take on a project like that. I'm tempted for sure, but know that I won't be in the lake for a long long time and may botch the job because I'm me.

-------------

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:58am

try photobucket or hosting here. Cant see pics.

Try this http://s1071.photobucket.com/albums/u503/mebirkle/" rel="nofollow - Link

-------------

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:06pm
yup that worked. Looks like you are doing the right thing by having it repaired.

Also pete is right on the fiberglass work. I never had touched the stuff but thanks to the guys on this site I was able to tackly my huge winter project myself.

-------------

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 1:00pm

yup that worked. Looks like you are doing the right thing by having it repaired.

Also pete is right on the fiberglass work. I never had touched the stuff but thanks to the guys on this site I was able to tackly my huge winter project myself.

If I could wait until the winter and do a quick fix I would do it now. Can I just do some temporary patches and then cut it out in the winter and take my time doing it? It's so hard as I just bought the boat and I'm already beached. Gotta get back in the water... the wife is chomping at the bit and I have a black eye so far.

I have no doubt the guys here could help as you all have already helped tremendously. I have the jitters to get this done now and get on the lake.

Thanks, Dave

-------------

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 8:26pm
I would say $2200 is a deal for that amount of damage. Ask it they will use epoxy resin - pay extra for it if you have to, worth it.    He (the PO) must have beached it hard to cause damage from fins to strut!!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 2:32am
Well, the saga is over. I brought the boat back to the PO and he refunded the money in full. I had a second opinion on the glass work and that was only the beginning. There were stress cracks from bow to stern on both sides and the sides were wavy. I called the PO and told him about the new findings and he offered a refund. I, of course, jumped on it like a pig on poo.

Bottom line... I love the type of boat and will now be shopping for another correct craft in better shape for 5-6k range. Anybody know of one in the NC area?

Thanks All!

-------------

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 2:38am
It is hard to tell if you could seal it up and run it for the season. Pete can probably give you some good perspective. As far as doind it yourself you could fix it for about 10% of your estimate. It is easy to make fiberglass strong. the hard part is getting it to look nice. My guess is you would grind it out the damage from the inside and rebuild and then remove the damaged gel gel from the outside and apply new as needed. Should not take you many more hours than the dealer. you would have to pull the gas tank, rudder... I am to cheap to pay someone for a job like that. My boat is just not worth the money, but my time is another story. I had a hull delamination from the shaft log to the drain plug I repaired last year. Had to lift the engine, it was not fun, but I had it back on the water for a few hundred and a few weeks.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: MattB
Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 7:02am
Dave, Just been catching up on your issues. Don't let one bad experience of a boat put you off looking and getting another Correct Craft. There are some very nice examples out there around the price range you are looking at and they are just awesome boats.
As you have seen already there are a lot of guys on here that really know their stuff and are always willing to help, most/all small or medium issues can be easily solved with a few pictures and posts and a few searches. You won't find a better resource on the internet than this site, its been a massive help to me.

Good luck on your search for another boat.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6102" rel="nofollow - 2001

http://uksn2001.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - SN2001 Blog

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 1:57pm
That's the best possible outcome. Nice of him to refund the money, but he never should have sold it to you in the first place. That's a parts boat and he knew it all along. For 5-6k, you won't find a perfect boat, so fully inspect and water test before money changes hands. Remember, with pre 93 CC's there's wood structure under the floor--and wood rots.

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 5:54pm
Thanks everyone for all of your help with the boat and troubleshooting. I'm still in shock he took it back. I think that really tells you how honest the guy is. I don't believe he thought he had trouble and he probably feels he can get more for the boat. We'll see about that. I say "good luck" to him.

Now off to boat shopping again. I'm really not a skier nor is my family. I question if these types of boats are really for me. Although, the boat had such a nice feel in the water and I truly loved the sound out of the exhaust. I'm very torn on what's right for me. I'll just have to take my time.

I do hope I end up with another Correct Craft some day so I can keep y'all for the support and friendship that you have offered.

Take care, Dave

-------------

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 7:09pm
Dave,
Anything is repairable but from you describing the damage, I'd say that boat simply wasn't beached, it went up and over the beach! Lots of work needed plus, the full extent of the damage may not be realized until the boat is opened up. I've got a feeling the seller knows the full story. Taking it back was a smart move. We'll find you another CC and in better shape!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: MattB
Date Posted: May-10-2012 at 7:28am
Quote I'm really not a skier nor is my family. I question if these types of boats are really for me.

These boats are about having fun and they offer flexibility that you won't get with other types, Ski, Wakeboard, Wakeskate, Surf, or even tube. A `classic`(loose term) Correct Craft will do them all and you can do them safely especially important with a young family.
If you look at some of the other boats out there within a similar price range or age your options are really limited, none of the other boats out there offer the flexibility, I/O's may appear attractive options but just forget the wake on them for wakeboarding or surfing (don't believe the marketing hype), some other inboards manufactures offer some of the benefits but you won't find the quality as good (build or wake)

Any boat you choose within your budget is going to have some issues and some level of maintenance but the work is pretty simple, I'm on my first ski boat (my first boat ever) which I only purchased in October of last year and so far some basic maintenance has been all that's needed, I sit behind a computer all day so if I can perform the basic maintenance anyone can, help from the Poobah's is always good.

Driving an inboard has been a learning curve but a few lessons from our club driver has built our confidence and now both myself and partner now hold the SBDA(Ski Boat Drivers Award) which is required at our club, driving experience will come throughout the season but we are safe.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6102" rel="nofollow - 2001

http://uksn2001.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - SN2001 Blog

Date Posted: May-10-2012 at 6:09pm
I just found another one. Same year and same model. It can be found here on http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/2948981096.html" rel="nofollow - Craigslist . I just spoke to the owner and he's a loyal Correct Craft owner of many years. He found a spot in the floor behind the drivers seat that he brought to have investigated/fixed before selling. He told me he would call me once it's checked out and I will then look at the boat with the floors up and inspect with a correct craft volunteer. Maybe I'm back... who knows!

I fell in love the first time out with the other boat even when I could barely get it out of the hole. I'm hooked because of the boat and the good folks here.

Thanks!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window