Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1981 won’t start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tarheelsontop View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheelsontop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1981 won’t start
    Posted: March-28-2004 at 11:43pm
I have a 1981 Ski Nautique with the 351 Windsor engine.

THE PROBLEM: Motor runs great - - - when it will start. Last May when first putting it in the water, I noticed this problem which is as follows: sometimes it starts right up and other times, when you turn the key - NOTHING - no clicking, no noise, no starter, nothing at all, as if no power. When you turn the key, the tachometer will move a little bit. All other accessories have power (blower, lights, horn). Sometimes you can sit and wait on it for a few minutes and then turn the key and it starts right up without a problem. Sometimes it's an hour to get it to start. This happens both when cold and when hot. I have experienced this on one occaision, when it took me over an hour to get it to turn over. It then started right up. While still in the stall, I started it and turned it off within a few seconds about 30 times or more, and it fired right up each time without any problem. I then idled out 200 yards from the pier and cut the motor just to check and guess what, it would not even turn over. It was dead again. So I got out and pulled it back in to the pier.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED: The starter was rebuilt about 3 years ago and might have 75 hours on it. I took it off and back to the shop, and they checked and said it was perfect (no charge). I also replaced the starter solenoid on the back of the motor near the reset switch. I bypassed the neutral safety switch and it still happened (the I unbypassed the neutral safety). Next I replaced the ignition switch with a new marine ignition switch. I next changed the fuse for the ignition switch. I then crawled under the dash and made sure first that there was power in the block to and from the new ignition switch, and then made sure all connections were tight and clean. Still having the same problem. These problems and ATTEMPTED solutions lasted all summer last year. At the end I thought it might have been worked out. But when I brought it out of the barn this week and tried to check everything out before putting it in the lake, it is doing the same thing again. Help! Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas? Alternatively, does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1981 Ski Nautique?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for all your help.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2004 at 3:20am
you should get a cheap meter and leave it in the boat in a baggie.

make a long negative lead and attach it to the negative post and leave it there.

the next time it dies, take the positive meter lead and start at the battery, solenoid, key, main plug at the motor (especially the main feed on this plug) ground at the motor and back to the battery. trace backwards to see where you are losing the voltage.

never assume new=good.

make sure the solenoid and it's mounting plate is well grounded or it will not engage.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2004 at 10:45am
I had a simular experience with my 79. Ended up replacing the alternator and wiring harness on the motor to solve the problem. Are you using the old style alt with external reg?
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2004 at 1:27am
It sure does sound like dirty battery terminals to me. I know that sounds trivial, but have you got really good clean battery terminals and cables? I've had those exact symptoms before on old Ford cars and it was always cured by cleaning the terminals. I use a good terminal brush and then coat them with grease to avoid oxidation.
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2004 at 1:40am
Tom said it best. don't assume, it makes an ass out of u and me. I always keep my boat tool box in mine, and a nice sharp, pointy test light, with a long ground wire clamp is one of the tools I have used most!
Guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2004 at 12:40am
I know you have heard it all before, but combustion engines only need basic things to work. Electricity, and the correct combination of fuel and air mixture. The fuel/air mixture is unimportant if the engine doesn't turn over and fire. When this occurs, check for power from the battery to the starter. (or anywhere in between)
Guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2004 at 12:43am
Also, if you have a Ski Nautique and don't have a toolbox in it, you haven't had it very long. A Nautique is like an old Volkswagon, it will last forever, but you will always have to tinker with it. Check the "Spark".
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2004 at 1:56pm
Sounds like the power is not allowing the solenoid to connect/switch the battery directly to the starter. Most likely a wiring problem. You'll notice two small wires on the solenoid. Trace and clean them.

Check and clean the engine grounds.

If you can't find the wiring problem and she refuses to start...open her cover up...real wide so all the fumes are gone. Then jump the solenoid with a pair of jumper cables or a screwdriver. (some guy's can walk you through a troubleshooting routine rather than "jumping"...sorry, I'm not one of them and basically...if you have this problem...you may not be either...sorry) If it doesn't start your battery is dead or the solenoid is bad. Try going directly from the battery to the starter..if it cranks you've now found out it's the solenoid.

In my case, the solenoid was OK and it was a matter of tracing the wiring to and from and found a poor connection.

I've since "single" wired which removes the external voltage regulator and solenoid. Much simpler process...the reason I mention this is in case your paying to have all this wiring and alternators re-built etc...just ask the guy about single wiring and eliminate all the wiring that crawls all over these engines.

After you solve this problem, with the engine running at 1200 RPM, pull the (+) battery cable off and see if the engine dies...if so, your alternator is dead.

CroMagnon Electrician
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2004 at 7:52pm
Do you have the electronic ignition? Before I installed mine, my 89 would do the same thing. My problem was the condenser went bad. A buddy had an old condenser left over from his conversion which got me through the end of the season. Once I installed the electronic ignition kit, the engine starts everytime. Vince at SKIDIM can fax you a diagram of your engine (not dash) to help you chase sparks.
jon View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2004 at 11:39pm
When this sort of thing happens to people's toys they tend to get pretty upset. Well heres what I do. First put down those rusty needle nose pliers, that 1/2 inch bolt isn't going anywhere with those things. Second go get yourself another cold beverage out of the cooler believe me you deserve it. Third this one is the most overlooked piece of advice that has ever been created; are you holding your mouth right? Fourth under the tray of almost every tool box out there is the hammer, I know what you are thinking at this point just beat the crud out of it and it will work not so. By this time you have tried everything possible to get the thing running with no luck so you have some frustration built up inside of you towards this stubburn wreck. So when you swing the hammer your going to have emotion swinging with you, and that always helps. Just remember humor always makes a bad situation better, or it does'nt.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2004 at 3:42am
Tarheels- I've gotta side with Nauti girl here. I had a 71 Olds that would do the same damn thing.Turning the key past the on position to that 'start' position would kill the ignition power. It all came down to bad connections.Namely the ground at the block.Do yourself a cheap favor, clean all ground and battery contacts.I like to install these little star washers(for lack of a better name) they bite into the metal creating a nice contact surface.good luck!
myonecent View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myonecent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2004 at 11:09am
Just tore down and reinstalled the 351 Windsor in my 1981 Ski Nautique. This included all the electrical connections on the engine. The positive side of the battery runs to the solenoid and branches through a circuit breaker to the rest of the electrical system. The other large bolt side of the solenoid goes to the starter. There are two smaller connections on the solenoid but only one is used in my application. The positive comes from the ignition switch through the neutral switch on the transmission. The solenoid is grounded through its frame to the bell housing. The battery ground is attached to the engine near the lower front of the driver's side.

Attach a volt meter to your battery at the battery and turn the ignition switch to the start position. If the voltage at the battery drops below 10 or 11 volts, the battery needs charging or replacement. If your battery voltage stays close to its unloaded voltage, next check to be certain the circuit breaker has not tripped. If it has not, proceed to the following steps.

Add an 5 amp inline fuse to each of two 15' pieces of multistrand lamp cord wire terminated on both ends with alligator clips. Radio Shack has everything you need.

Disconnect the small wire coming from the transmission to the solenoid and tape its end so it doesn't accidentally ground. Route the wire you made from the battery hot away from soon to be moving belts and such to the area of the solenoid. Touch it to the small post of the solenoid where you removed the small wire from the transmission. If the solenoid now works, you have a problem in the hot side of the circuit. If it does not work, run the other wire from the battery ground to the solenoid base plate and try touching the small post with the hot wire again. If it works, there is a ground problem. At this point you do not know if hot side is good. Fix the ground side and retest the hot side as described above. If it doesn't work, confirm you are connecting to the correct small post. If you are, your solenoid is likely defective, new or not. You can test for resistance from the solenoid frame to the small post to determine if you have an open in the relay winding.

For a ground circuit problem, clean the battery posts and the battery wire connectors. Inspect the attachment of the connectors to the wire. Moisture can destroy the conductivity from the connector to the wire. Remove the bolt on the engine where the ground wire connects and wirebrush the casting, bolt, and connector. Inspect the connector to wire for corrosion or mechanical deterioration. Remove the electronics frame from the bell housing and wire brush the bell housing, bolts, and frame. Do the same for the solenoid. Retest as above.

Now for the key to difficult situations. The key is to measure voltage within a circuit. Avoid disconnecting circuit elements until you have found the problem or you will not learn where the problem was, even though your disassembly may fix it.

To explain the technique lets start with the circuit breaker. Turn on your navigation lights to activate current through the circuit breaker. Using a volt meter, measure the voltage between the two wires connected to the circuit breaker. You should expect it to be very close to zero. If you have nothing turned on, there is no electricity flowing through the circuit breaker even though it is hot and this test will be ineffective. If you get a voltage reading, the circuit breaker may be defective. A typical voltage value across an ignition switch would be no more than 1 volt when the switch is closed [activated]. Wire should read 0 volts and a clean connector will also read 0 volts. Remember the circuit under test must be active meaning not just hot and not just attached to ground. It must be attached to both through a device such as gauge, lights, solenoid, etc. Try to initially test at the wire at a connection rather than at the screw post of a connection. This will detect corrosion between the wire and the post whereas connecting to the two sides of a device itself such as an ignition switch will test the switch itself.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2004 at 6:38pm
Tarheel...Did you ever get this fixed? If so, what was the problem?

Ocassionaly my '84 will do the same thing--turn the key, nothing happens, try agin and it startsright up.

I was thinking it might be a bad ignition switch. Nobody mentioned that. What do ya'll think?

James
nautiquesonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2004 at 3:33pm
I would check the safety neutral switch on the trasmission and replace your ballast resistor. I had a very similar problem on my 80 Nautique replaced both and went to electronic ignition about 3 years ago and have had no problems since. Hope this will help.

Nautiquesonly
Living Life 1 bouy at a time behind my Nautique in Florida.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2004 at 4:11pm
If your cables are not in sync you might not be in neutral. An easy way to check is with the boat in gear push throttle forward and back to neutral then try to crank, then push it in reverse and back to neutral and try to crank. If the threaded adjustment on the end isn't just right coming from forward or reverse can make a difference. Another thing is have the battery cable clamps been replaced? The kind that screws down to pinch the cable can get loose.
Tim D
Nate View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2005 at 7:56pm
Look for help regarding elecritical problem for 82 ski nautique. Boat will start fine, run great then when it is warm it will simply lose all power. NO lights, no horn, nothing, when you turn the key the gauges do not even perk up. If you let it sit for an hour or so it will all of the sudden work, but only for a short time. I recently replaced the battery, alt. , condeser, and points thinking these were the problems. I have check the battery conection, and also replaced the ignition switch, nice clean conections. My next idea is to replace the resistor or complete wiring harness.

Please advise.
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 2:07pm
HEY TRY A NEW KEY SWITCH THEY BURN UP QUTE OFTEN
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic