Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage Issue
    Posted: February-09-2012 at 11:11pm
I posted about this a while back and I am looking to follow up with everyone.

I have low voltage when I put on my bow lights and my tall light in the back.

I read that it was possibly due to an undersized wire. I pulled some covers off and the wire going from the battery to the breaker is 2 gauge. The wire going from the battery to the motor is 2 gauge.

The wire going from the amp to power the gauges/dash is 10 gauge.

I checked voltage at the battery 12.5, I checked voltage at the bus. 12.3, then I check the voltage at the gauge and I was reading 10.5. I took a closer look and noticed that the positive lead going from the bus to the gauge, where it connects on the screw looks fairly corroded. I sanded down all the connections except the one at the gauge.

Anyone have any input on how to sand down the screw? Anyone know where I can find a replacement gauge?

Thanks, I attached a few pics so you can see what I see. Let me know if anything looks funky.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 1:16am
Things look pretty clean, a small wire brush and some solvent should work, or thread a bolt on and off several times. I don't think you will need to replace the gauge.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 9:20am
Dielectric grease is your friend. Get some. It will save you more time down the road.

When you get all the connections cleaned up, report back on the voltage drop (with the nav lights on).

Do you have a wire type battey post/terminal cleaner?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 12:56pm
I put that conductive grease on all of the connections I am cleaning. I will try to clean them today and let everyone know how it goes. I can't wait till everything is in tip top shape!
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 8:44pm

I'm going to re-ask this question here since it got lost in the stereo thread we saw recently:

Since we're on the topic of voltage, is it bad when the sub woofer hits that the needles of the gauges jump all over the place?

Is that indicative that I may need a higher amp alternator?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

I'm going to re-ask this question here since it got lost in the stereo thread we saw recently:

Since we're on the topic of voltage, is it bad when the sub woofer hits that the needles of the gauges jump all over the place?

Is that indicative that I may need a higher amp alternator?

Not really. It's the amp hours you need to be concerned about. Just like your service to your house,it's the average. Do you have a problem maintaining a charge in the battery?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 11:27pm
Matt, a second battery dedicated to the amps would probably solve your issue.   It doesn't take very much stereo to get to the limits of the stock alternator, a second battery gives you a seperate resivoir to handle that. That's the easiest solution. What kind of system are you running, what amps and how many?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 11:43pm
To the original post; Not Given, you'll probably pick up a little voltage with each thing you clean, running the motor will bring it up a couple of volts as well. I would start at the battery connection first, that should be an easy 1/4 volt. The breakers would be next and don't forget to clean or change the bulbs and their sockets.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 1:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Not really. It's the amp hours you need to be concerned about. Just like your service to your house,it's the average. Do you have a problem maintaining a charge in the battery?

No, the battery never seems to be losing a charge...but I usually only have the stereo on while running.

Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Matt, a second battery dedicated to the amps would probably solve your issue.   It doesn't take very much stereo to get to the limits of the stock alternator, a second battery gives you a seperate resivoir to handle that. That's the easiest solution. What kind of system are you running, what amps and how many?

I have a basic Alpine stereo running 4 speakers and then an Alpine amp (I'm guessing around 1K amps) and a cheap $30.00 Walmart sub.

I just wanted to make sure the gauges jumping all over isn't a sign that something is being damaged, etc.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 2:56am
A second battery for the amps should fix that.   Basically your giving the amp a seperate resivoir to use so it won't pull down the voltage on the house battery. A Perko switch would allow you to seperate the 2 batteries when your parked to save the starting battery, an ACR (auto combing relay) would do it without you having to flip the switch. Upgrading the alternator would give you addition amps to use for the stero and the battery charging, but is probably the most expensive way to go about it.

I would try the battery first, check you battery voltage at the beginning and the end of the day. If batteries are staying charged your good, if they aren't then an onboard charging system will top them off and prolong their life. I don't think you really need most of that stuff unless you upgrade further. I ran 1000 watts off one battery for a couple of months with no issues as long as I put it on the charger at the end of the day. After adding all that and a 105 amp alternator it takes 10 minutes to top off the batteries at the end of the day and I can sit and listen for at least 8 hours then start the boat.   My stereo is still growing into all that, I'll be doubling the power this winter and adding tower speakers.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 4:48am
Matt the dash of the SN's of your ones era were known for their bad earthing and power wiring (daisy chaining). Run a couple of separate earths up to each gauge from the earth bus and see how that goes. Clean all the connections while you are there as well.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 2:44pm
So anyways, I cleaned the connections and it did not help. What I did figure out were two things.

On the positive lead to the voltage gauge on my dash, there are 3 wires.

-one coming from the bus
-one going to the little horn thingy that beeps at me
-a thick one that I can't figure out

If I only attach the wire coming from the bus, the voltage will read 12 volts. If I attach either of the other 2 wires to that screw, it drops the volts by 1.8. Anyone have any ideas?
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 7:22pm
Any pics of the bus etc.?

Also, is the stereo the only thing that messes with your gauges? Or will the horn, lights, blower or bilge pump have any impact?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Also, is the stereo the only thing that messes with your gauges? Or will the horn, lights, blower or bilge pump have any impact?

I assume this question was for me.

When using various electronic equipment (blower, bilge, nav lights, etc), when they get turned on, the gauges move ever so slightly.

The same exact thing happens when I turn the nav lights (or another accessory) on in my Grandma's 2004 Bayliner. The needles move maybe 1/2 a needles width.

I'm sure it's nothing major...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 10:02pm
Matt, Yup, I meant the question for you. I was wondering, because if they moved a lot, it might be just a ground issue. I had to run a second ground (in tandem with the original) from my motor to my dash. You could also use the battery ground.

Where does your amp get it's power? Is there a dedicated positive wire from the battery to it, or are you picking up power off Edit: off the DASH wiring?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 10:06pm
I will back up Mark (lewy2001). It's been well documented about the undersized wiring. Doing a search will bring up plenty of info.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Matt, Yup, I meant the question for you. I was wondering, because if they moved a lot, it might be just a ground issue. I had to run a second ground (in tandem with the original) from my motor to my dash. You could also use the battery ground.

Where does your amp get it's power? Is there a dedicated positive wire from the battery to it, or are you picking up power off Edit: off the DASH wiring?

Amp get's it's power straight from the battery.

Like I said though, I don't really care about the jumping needles as ling as I'm not harming anything...which it sounds like I'm not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic