Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

velvet drive 1.1 front seal issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: velvet drive 1.1 front seal issues
    Posted: October-23-2011 at 4:35pm
I pulled my transmission and put a new front seal in and when i start the engine the seal blows out and transmission fluid leaks all over. I know i had it in right it was flush. 2 times this has happed to me. I tried switching the pump 180 degrees but then the trans wouldn't work at all. Any thoughts on this? Also my original transmission started slippen so i picked up a used one with low hours and just replaced the seals. Think this new one came out of a boat with a Chrysler 318. so wasn't sure if the transmission pump was wrong, but it looks the same as my old one. I currently have a 351w RR in my boat.
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 5:28pm
I also am pretty sure the oil cooler is hooked up right I have a new one on there buts it the same as its always been. And i checked the velvet drive service manual
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 6:06pm
First, the pump is indexed depending on the engine rotation. rotating it without adressing this will only bring you more problems.

Second, there's a reason the seal blew the first time, it will keep happening until you solve that.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

First, the pump is indexed depending on the engine rotation. rotating it without adressing this will only bring you more problems.

Second, there's a reason the seal blew the first time, it will keep happening until you solve that.

Eric,
You had better post your shipping address to "not given"! It seems he hasn't been doing his homework with searching and reading about his problem. It also seems he is completely misguided about pump indexing to the engine rotation which has nothing to do with his seal popping out!! Another bad pump!!!    Trans cooler problem? "not given" needs to get that thing to you ASAP!!!

"not given",
Where is you guidance coming from?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 7:20pm
Well ok I still have my old transmission. The new one was free so i thought i could make it work. What should I do take it to a transmission guy to have it indexed for my RH engine. Or can you point me in the right direction to index it myself.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 8:32pm
I think you need to re-detail your step by step so we can understand your situation a little better.

What happened with the original trans? what did you do to it?
What did you do with the new one, and what did happen?

jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 10:47pm
I have a 24 Fish Nautique. I just rebuilt my 351w commander RH. My original transmission borg warner 1.1 started slippen on me. I still have it. A buddy of mine had a borg warner 1.1 he gave to me that was in way better shape. I took it apart and replace all the gaskets and seals cause it had a small leak on one of the gaskets. I also ordered a new transmission cooler because I was told my old one was for cold water applications. The new one is a lot bigger. I put this transmission in my boat and I have blown 2 front seals. Both transmissions are identical.

On the transmission pump the arrow is on the bottom and is going left on both of them. I read somewhere that it should be on the top and be pointing right "the same direction as motor.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 10:53pm
Sounds like you now own 2 transmissions that need rebuilding instead of one! Time to bite the bullet.

Regarding that trans that your buddy gave you... I think Eric says something along the lines of, "It got pulled out for a reason."
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 11:06pm
Well actually the boat that it came out of the engine was blown but trans was fine. The transmission goes it gear fine and sound good? It lasts about 5 mins though. Someone on another forum said something about a clip.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 9:11am
Originally posted by jblocal jblocal wrote:

Well actually the boat that it came out of the engine was blown but trans was fine. The transmission goes it gear fine and sound good? It lasts about 5 mins though. Someone on another forum said something about a clip.

Everyone is telling you the trans is not "fine". You keep blowing the seal out so there's a problem with the pump. If the pump is good, the area of the front seal does not see any pressure.

No, you do not need to send it off to a shop to have the pump indexed to the engine rotation but that's not your problem.

What's the other forum you have been getting advice from?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 9:32am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What's the other forum you have been getting advice from?

I hope it wasn't Offshore only. from what I've read there they'll have you doing everything Eric says not to do.

Eric, next time you need a laugh, do a search for reverse rotation there. They must send you a lot of business?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 10:14am
well first off, you can push those seals in by hand, so what does that tell you? it tells me that there really isnt any pressure behind it, which there really isnt. when you get excessive clearance in the pump cavity from wear then you get the pressure in there and it will push the seal out. at that point you should be wondering where all of that pump housing shavings went because it is a closed system, normally it will go into the forward clutch pack and the shavings will start to pick away at the rubber seals.
at this point I really would be wondering why the pump failed in the first place, they just dont wear out, they too like clutch plates need a reason to fail, I dont have enough toes or fingers to count the times this has happened to someone when they purchased a new pump and an hour later the same thing happened, normally when the pump starts to fail the forward clutches will slip.
the three biggest reasons a pump may fail in my point of view are
1, low oil 2. bad damper plate 3. mis-alignment obviously anytime you overheat a transmission the gears will swell up and start biting into the housing
"the things you own will start to own you"
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 10:46am
Originally posted by jblocal jblocal wrote:

I have a 24 Fish Nautique. I just rebuilt my 351w commander RH. My original transmission borg warner 1.1 started slippen on me. I still have it. A buddy of mine had a borg warner 1.1 he gave to me that was in way better shape. I took it apart and replace all the gaskets and seals cause it had a small leak on one of the gaskets. I also ordered a new transmission cooler because I was told my old one was for cold water applications. The new one is a lot bigger. I put this transmission in my boat and I have blown 2 front seals. Both transmissions are identical.

On the transmission pump the arrow is on the bottom and is going left on both of them. I read somewhere that it should be on the top and be pointing right "the same direction as motor.

The arrows on the pump are referenced to rotation as if your looking at the front of the transmission and not the back of the motor. So a motor that turns to the right(reverse rotation) looking at the back of the motor is looking to have a pump indexed to the LH rotation mark. I learned this from Eric. Read his past posts on transmissions. He knows these things pretty damn well. A lot of guys with a lot of know how don't dare to open them and turn to him for transmissions. He seems pretty generous to be giving out the knowledge he has seeing it is also is livelyhood.

Good luck
Scott(if you notice most people use first names around here)
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 11:58pm
Ok Eric thanks for your help you answered my question. I didn't know there wasn't suppose to be pressure on that seal. Im going to get it fixed and get a new damper plate. I have restored my hole boat and rebuilt the 351w. I was hoping to get away with not putting any $ in trans. You know what they say "theres nothing more expensive then a free boat" lol

By the way my name is Cole as I know most of you know each other by first names. I'm in the process of setting up my diary and my account better. My computer sucks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 10:16am
my first name is Maurice, nice to meet you
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Some people call you the space cowboy?
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by politicallycorrect politicallycorrect wrote:

Some people call you the space cowboy?

Eric is absolutely the "space cowboy" but, he does happen to know his trans's!! BTW, we are really dating ourselves using the "space cowboy" quote!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 10:07am
some call me the gangster of love
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 11:44am

some call me the gangster of love

I picture you more of a "midnight toker"
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 10:04am
lol, many moons ago
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 10:51am

lol, many moons ago

I'm to the point I can't even remember those days!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 9:52am
this thread proves what drugs do overtime
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic