NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel for 66 Wildcat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel for 66 Wildcat
    Posted: June-27-2011 at 1:57pm
I am looking for a steering wheel for my 66 Wildcat. It should look like this as far as I can tell. I am interested in one in any condition. Need the hardware too. I borrowed the photo from a boat listed for sale in diaries. If this is not allowed someone please let me know. Thanks. Frank

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 10:22pm
Might as well look for the Holy Grail while your at it Frank.Ebay might be your best bet.This wheel was also used on 1950 somethings Mercury Turnpike Cruisers
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 1:40am
Frank,
No problem with borrowing pics here.

These wheels were also used on Barracuda SS'. I might have a spare wheel like this...would need complete restoration. I would have to do some checking...its still on my 'cuda, which is in storage.

what is on your boat for a wheel?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 11:51am
Some black foamy thing. I'll see if I can get a picture up here in a bit.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 12:03pm
This is what is on it. I don't mind one that needs to be restored.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 1:19pm
GaryS, just saw your post up there. Thanks for the information about the Mercury. I figured that it was off of a passenger vehicle but looked at lots of 66 wheel pics and couldn't find one. Ironically, most of the older Wildcats shown in the diaries still seem to have the correct wheel. I figured someone here has pulled one in the past for something more comfortable.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 1:54pm
62 wood, I looked at the Baracuda SS pictures in the diaries and the wheels seem the same to me. I would be very interested in seeing what you have. Frank

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 9:31pm
Anybody know how deep the stock wheels are? Also curious about the diameter of the center "horn" section.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by 66Wildcat 66Wildcat wrote:

I figured someone here has pulled one in the past for something more comfortable.

Comfortable maybe but as Tim would put it, that certainly is a "fugly" looking wheel!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 2:15pm
I agree it is not attractive. What I meant was that I thought there would be more stock wheels on shelves. On a separate note, I found a stock, restored wheel that I think I am going to have to buy. 300 bucks. The guy has two. Was hoping to spend a little less but...

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 2:53pm
If you found a restored wheel for $300, as much as you hate to spend it, probably a good way to go. I have seen decent used ones bring over $200. There used to be a NOS on ebay for $1500.00
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 3:13pm
I agree. I had been looking for one for a while and $300 is a better price than most I saw for either a restored wheel or one in good condition.
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 5:15pm
I suppose you guys are right. He has two, they are both black and white. I was hoping for red/white but I suppose I could paint it later.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 5:28pm

I suppose you guys are right. He has two, they are both black and white. I was hoping for red/white but I suppose I could paint it later.

I think the only way I have ever seen the wheel, in cars or boats, is black and white.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 9:08pm
Well, just paypal'd the gent the money. Hope its as nice as the pictures were. Was more than I wanted to spend but it is a big part of the boat's personality.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 1:07am

Well, just paypal'd the gent the money. .... Was more than I wanted to spend but it is a big part of the boat's personality.

Welcome to the "joys" of owning an old boat! I just spent 0ver 200 bucks getting a single valve cover chromed and a repro "INTERCEPTOR" decal for my 64...(not sure what we're going to do about groceries this week)

You are "spot-on" with it being a big part of the personality... Let us know how it looks when you get it!   

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 1:20am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

You are "spot-on" with it being a big part of the personality...

Not only that Steve but when your driving with that big grin on, your not seeing the engine,the trailer,the new stringers etc,your looking at those gauges and that big old school thin rim
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Yellowbird View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 11:12pm
The wheel is from a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 11:07am
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 3:23pm
Automotive "Turnpike" wheels came in a few colors and they had different types of center caps, the Comet (model specific changes) in particular. They also have a tapered/splined hub where it mounts to the steering column which is different form the tapered/smooth hub and keyway which is the marine setup. I initially purchased an automotive wheel and was trying to figure out how to reverse engineer the OEM turnpike wheel for my boat. Never found any hardware to convert it, people thought i was crazy for asking. Turns out it can be done but it was going to cost $$$$ to recast in the right color, chrome, then getting the automotive hub machined to work with a stock CC steering box. There are a lot of steering wheel restorers online, I spoke to 3 or 4 people back when I entertained the idea. I ended up finding a new old stock wheel in California (on ebay in the automotive section)and paid a lot for it. They are around but be prepared to spend. I'm on my third boat resto and parts like this are hard to come by so you've got to grin and bear it when you find the part you need... I'll shoot some pics of mine and send them to you. I may even have some detailed photos of the old comet wheel as well, for comparison purposes.

Good luck!
1968 Barracuda Super Sport
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 12:19am
So CorrectCraft bought automotive steering wheels but custom made the hubs?

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 1:42pm
Sorry for the poor grammar in my post, typed that out on my phone. The turnpike wheels have a removable insert inside the hub that can be switched out.

66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 6:55pm
I din't know that. Now I guess I need to find one of those to go with my restored wheel. Dang.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2013 at 10:54am
Here is what the mercury comet wheel looks like. Color coordinated to the paint scheme of the car. It also has a different center cap, car model specific it reads S22 on the cap.

Here is the Turnpike Wheel that CC used (Mine). The center cap reads "power steering". There were three different center cap configurations for this wheel in the automotive world.

Hub and center cap

The "Turnpike Cruiser" steering wheel. Notice the wheel is not round. Very similar to the wheel used by CC.

The insert I was talking about is smooth/tapered with a keyway for marine fitment instead of splined and tapered for automotive.

66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2013 at 11:28am
Mine looks like your black and white Turnpike wheel but doesn't have the adapter in the hub. Is it just held in by the four screws and the metal ring? Thanks for the pictures BTW. Frank

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2013 at 11:44am

This is what is on mine.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2013 at 4:49pm
Yup, that's what the original wheel looked like that I bought. A machinist told me he could make a new piece if I brought him something for reference. The wheel I bought was in rough shape and I couldn't justify the price of restoration and machining. If your wheel is in good condition I'd look for a "parts" wheel on ebay with the right adapter or buy a one piece wheel with the proper hub so a machinist an make one for you. Either way you'll end up with a nice finished product.

Cheers,

Chris
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2013 at 1:16pm
If anyone is still looking at this old thread I need the center insert for the steering wheel like the one shown in Cuda Chris's photo above. The piece I am referring to goes into the hub of the wheel from the back and has a keyway slot. Like the one in Chris' picture where you can see lots of toes in the background. It is for a Vista Cruiser steering wheel if that matters. Frank

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2013 at 1:25pm
On the Turnpike Cruiser wheel, there are 2 different types of hubs, one splined and one tapered. They cannot be removed and switched. A machine shop can convert the splined hub to a keyed hub, if they have an example of a keyed hub to go by.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic