Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jimbodawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbodawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 Ski Tique
    Posted: July-07-2005 at 12:22am
I just bought a 79 Ski Tique. The boat is great except for a few minor issues.

1. The gas guage does not work - any ideas how to trouble shoot/fix?

2. How do you get the last little bit of water out of the hull of the boat? The drain plug and the bilge both sit just above the lowest point inside the hull...so neither can drain the last ~ 2 cups of water?

Thanks for your assistance!

Jim
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 12:52am
There is really good post about a month or so ago on troubleshooting the gas gauge, wiring and sending unit.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 1:12am
The post is in the general dicussions on May 4th listed as "gas gauge sending unit"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 4:56pm
Given the way these boat suck fuel, your fuel gauge is arguably the most important so get it fixed quick.

I would not even worry about those last two cups of water.
Jimbodawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbodawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 6:27pm
Jeff Kostis,

Thanks for the direction to the previous post on gas guage issues. Great info!

2. It's probably not a big deal to have ~ 2 cups of water left in the hull of the boat buut I sure would sleep better if I could store the boat bone dry after every outing. Any ideas besides using a wet vac? Doesn't the water lead to wood rot over time???

P.S. What are "stringers" ???

thanks,
Jim
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 6:34pm
Stringers are the support "beams" for the bottom of the boat. The stringers serve two purposes: 1)keeps the bottom of the boat from oil canning 2)Provides structural support for engine and hull. The stringers are constructed from kiln dried fir.

The stringers and bilge of the boat are completly covered in fiberglass composite, so a bit of water will do not harm if left in the bilge indefinately. Now, if you have a crack in the fiberglass that allows water to get to the wood, then you will have or will get a rot problem. Even so, given the shape of the bilge, two cups of water will sit in the low spot of the bilge that is solid fiberglass (stringers are a bit higher).

FWIW: I cannot get ALL the water out of the bilge of my '77 and have never worried about it or had it cause any problems.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 3:23pm
Its a boat it supposed to be wet!!!!. A litte water does not hurt. No big deal
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 4:40pm
Jimbodawg,

2 cups won't hurt anything. However, if you're anal like me (and it sounds like you are) just use a towel or shop vac to soak it up. I like it bone dry to help alleviate any mildewing when I put the cover on.
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 4:54pm
If you guys are putting it on trailers what's the big deal getting the water out, having trouble unscrewing the drain plug and/or raising or lowering the trailer tongue so that it empties? Now if it is in the water all of the time then you will have water in it and every time you use it you will get more in it. With stuffing boxes on the rutter and prop shaft requiring a couple of droppes of water per minute it's impossible to get all of the water out. Also get the gas gauge sending unit from Correct Craft it will work much better than any aftermarket sending unit you can find. Almost all aftermarket sending units do not read accurately and never read completely full or completely empty no matter what you do.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2005 at 5:59pm
Look at the gauges in the boat. If they Detmar, Stewart Warner, or original in the boat an aftermarket sender is fine. They all use the same ohm range. An aftermarket is fine but call correct craft because sometime the price is the same
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic