Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'80 SN Teak swim platform removal?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '80 SN Teak swim platform removal?
    Posted: September-29-2010 at 3:47pm
I want to do some work on my platform over the winter and am wondering if I am better to remove the supports from the back of the boat or remove the platform from the supports? My main concern is stripping out the holes.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 4:00pm
Platform from the supports.

Unless you want to do some work to the back of the boat. when you re apply the brackets, use 3m 5200 and maybe some cpes
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 5:48pm
Oh Man - Leave the boat brackets alone! Take it off the support brackets, much easier and much less damage potential if the supports are snug and happy now!

Steve
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 6:39pm
When I rebuilt the skier I removed the platform form the brackets and the brackets from the transom. I had to add support for the through bolts on the transom because they were spider cracking the gel since it was not original and I repainted the waterline stripe.

I lightly sanded the platform and oiled it several times to get it back to a nice color and shine. If you sand too much you will expose the tips of the screws that hold it together. I exposed one and figured I would back it out a bit since I could tell it had been buried deeper than the others. I should have taken a drill bit slightly larger than the screw head and drilled down to the head. When I went to back the screw out a huge chip popped out.

I did not use cpes or 5200 on the teak, I thought I had read somewhere not to because I used it everywhere else. The holes did not seem loose at all when I put the platform back on the boat. It was almost as if the teak expands to fill the hole when you take the screw out. In fact they were pretty hard to get back in.

I am interested to see what the consensus is on CPES and 5200 in the screw holes on teak. Can't imagine it would hurt. I know I read not to CPES the entire platform.

Damage

Before

Sanded

Thirsty

Beauty

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 7:13pm
Keegan, i was referring to putting cpes and 5200 in the holes of the transom if he were to take the brackets completely off.

Like Steve said, if they are snug and happy....leave them alone.

I wouldn't worry about taking the platform off the brackets at all. Been oiling and wet sanding the platform on the 96 snob...its SOOOO smooth now!
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 8:59pm
Thanks for the advise. Supports stay on the boat.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about taking the platform off the brackets at all.   now!

This is what I was thinking too after I posted. Why take it off at all? You can sand and oil it on just as easy as off. It was a lot harder to put it back on the brackets than I thought it was going to be.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:50pm
You can stain the Gel Coat with the teak oil if you do not remove the plateform.

Donald
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 4:02pm
I too suggest pulling the platform off the boat. You'll never be able to clean and sand it well enough while its screwed on. Getting it real clean is key to a good job. If not, the black mold will just creap back from the sides that you can't get to.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Getting it real clean is key to a good job. If not, the black mold will just creap back from the sides that you can't get to.

Pete I know you pointed this mold thing out to me but at the time I was trying to get the boat on the water and figured I would have all winter for detail work.

To get to all the mold in between the pieces do you have to completely take it apart and sand all sides? Is there an antifungal product out there or will oiling all sides before reassembly help prevent a re-occurrence? Does this mold eventually cause structural failure or is it just a discoloration problem?

Donald also makes a very valid point. The oil will definitely stain the gel.

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 5:59pm
Keegan,
I have mentioned it before but I happen to be a fan of pressure washing. It get's down deep into the pores BUT must be done carefully. Too much pressure and or too close with the nozzle and it tears up the wood. Taking the complete platform apart isn't needed. The pressure washer does get down between the pieces.

The mold is cosmetic only.

Once pressure washed and dried, the teak cleaner will go after the mold. I do not know of any anti-fungal treatment. The best oil to use is a synthetic. The Tung oils that most of the teak oils are made of is organic and the mold/fungas actually feeds off it. I went over to the marine supply one day and since the bottles of teak oil weren't very specific, I opened the caps and smelled. Tung oil has a very distinct odor. The one that smelled almost like ATF was the West brand of "Golden Teak Oil". It's held up very well. Some fading but no black scum!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 7:10pm
Thank goodness!! Taking that thing all the way apart would take some hours!

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic