Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boardstiff View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardstiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission ?
    Posted: June-05-2005 at 4:13am
I recently had some engine work done. It was pulled and all the seals were replaced in the bottom end due to an oil leak. I had the work done by a friend who owns a auto mechanic shop. My problem is, I took the boat out for the first time today and noticed a knocking coming from what I think is the transmission. Is it possible that when he refilled the fluid he may have used the wrong type. I have a 79 427 in it with a vevet drive transmission. Would usuing the wrong type cause a knock? What type should be used? Thanks in advance.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2005 at 6:00am
I assume the knock was post rebuild, so here's seomthing similar that happened to me.

When my 289 was rebuilt, we turned the distributor to get it running and then decided to tune her in the lake. When we connected the tranny and drive shaft, the poorly tuned engine and improper alignment made the flex plate growl, knock etc. We adjusted the valves, shot a timing light on her, aligned the driveshaft in the water and the knocks went away.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
boardstiff View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardstiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2005 at 11:50am
Actually, I know the timing has to be set because the boat is running like crap. I'm hoping to get out tommorrow with some lights and do a little fine tuning.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2005 at 8:29pm
The Velvet Drive manual says you can use Type F or Dexron, or even SAE 30 Diesel engine oil if you don't go over 3000 RPM. I don't think the fluid is the problem. I think it's a problem with alignment.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2005 at 1:05am
A rough running engine can cause the damper plates to knock, especially at idle speeds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic