Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rough Running after freeze plug replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1987martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rough Running after freeze plug replacement
    Posted: May-23-2010 at 5:01pm
I have an 87 Martinique, I put it in this year for the first time, the boat was winterized, I put all the plugs in and took it to the lake. It started right up and I idled out to let it come up to temp. I then ran it for about 15 minutes, boat ran great, no problems at all, smooth as always. I got to the dock and let it idle while I tied up. Shut it off and then went to restart it just for the heck of it because we were about to take it back out after dinner. It wouldn't start so I pull the shroud to find it almost completely full of water. Immediately bilged it and took a look. One of the freeze plugs above the starter was gone. Im not sure if it had been gone the whole time, but I didn't notice it before I left the trailer. Anyway, I put a temp plug in to get me through the weekend, boat started right up, so I let it sit and idle for about 10 minutes. No issues, temp was good, oil pressue good, etc. I idled away and it started running rough, really rough. Now I can hardly get it in gear without dying.but in neutral it revs fine, under the load it won't take it. It backfired a couple of times and there is a very strong smell of gasoline from behind the boat, more than the normal old exhaust smell. Not sure what has happened to it. Its not old gas... because it ran perfect from the trailer to the house. No water in the oil from what I can tell, oil looks perfect, not milky or bubbles...
I have no clue whats up with it... need new plugs??? is my first thought...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 5:20pm
David,
All that water may have gotten moisture into the distributor. Check it out. Also, check your oil for any signs of water. There's a current thread (SOS) with a water in oil issue after a over heat. It's still undetermined what caused it but it looks like at this point a hole burnt through the exhaust manifold (aluminum manifolds)

I have to ask, who winterized it and what method was used? Pump through the engine or drain and pour in the antifreeze?

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 5:31pm
I winterized it, just draining and antifreeze... I've done it that way since we got it in 87, never had any problems, bought it up at midwest CC in angol, IN, ... and the winters there are much harder than down here in AL...
I've been messing with it all morning, checking and rechecking the oil for any signs of water. No sign of water at all, nothing milky, no bubbles, the oil looks perfect.
I read almost the entire SOS post last night til about 1 am. I'm praying its not gonna drag out like that. It sounds "literally" like it has bad gas. Except bad gas will let it run good sometimes then horrible most of the time. Bud the "sounds" are the same.

Forgive my lack of engine knowledge, but here's one more bit of info... we had Geoff at Midwest CC change it from points to electronic ignition... years ago, just and fyi...
If I'm going to look for moisture, walk me through it please.. so I don't make this worse:) I'm pretty handy, but I probably know just enough to be dangerous"to myself" that is :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 6:06pm
Also, thanks for the quick reply earlier... and appreciate the welcome... I've been a hardcore nautique fan my whole life. Theres just nothing better on the water..., now if I can just get back out on the water :)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 6:34pm
David,
Have you checked the plugs yet to see how they look? With the distributor being converted, all you can do is open up the cap and see if there's any condensation in it.

Has the carb been rebuilt? Do you stabilize your gas during storage?

Your draining and then pouring in the antifreeze is the only way to go. Some will pump though without even draining but it's risky due to the potential of mixing with water. RV antifreeze doesn't like that!! You do probe the drain holes with a wire just to make sure you don't have sediment plugging it up correct?

Get some photos and text submitted for the diaries.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 6:57pm
I opened up the cap, nothing much to see, no visible moisture, Yes I stabilized the gas... I don't think that was the issue, being that it ran perfect last night for 15 min. or so... i went ahead and added some more stabilizer this morning, just praying it might do the trick...

I will pull the plugs today and see how they look, by the way, I looked at your profile, your Atom is amazing... the Meloons would be proud:)

My big question still is... why would it go from running great to running poorly, when freeze plug blew out, there is already water down there, it never got above the starter, about 6 inches in the hull... Unless trying to start it last night flooded it and foulded the plugs really badly... I'm going to check them...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:46am
replaced the spark plugs, drained the fuel filter, it ran a little better, it will idle now and thats it. No more than about 1200 rpms. it sounds like the engine is knocking deep inside. It doesn't knock consistently, every 4 o 5 seconds... I'm not getting a good feeling about this... Also, there is still a very strong smell of fuel, much more than usual. Still no water in the oil, so hopefully that is a plus. It feels like the motor is not getting fuel, but not sure, any thoughts?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 8:46am
Originally posted by 1987martinique 1987martinique wrote:

Also, there is still a very strong smell of fuel, much more than usual. Still no water in the oil, so hopefully that is a plus. It feels like the motor is not getting fuel, but not sure, any thoughts?

I think too much fuel. Has the carb been rebuilt lately?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:08pm
Pete,
the carb has not been rebuit for a while. But thinking about it now, I bet your right. Too much fuel... I know nothing about carbs though... or adjusting..
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:25pm
Unless your timing went way off, you should only be able to smell gas if there is too much. Maybe a carb float got stuck? Is gas coming out of the vent tube(s)?
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 2:31pm
no gas coming out of the vent tubes, i just went out and messed with it a little more, it will idle ok, when you put it under a load, around 1200 rpms it starts to backfire, I'm not sure how to check the floats, I've been trying to read online about it, but not really sure yet...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 3:03pm
when I run it in neutral, it runs fine, no backfires at any rpm, i can push it to 3500 rpms and it sounds strong, but under a load it just bogs down, backfires and wont push passed 1200 rpms,
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 4:36pm
have you checked the fuel pressure at the carb?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 9:18pm
no, not yet, I'll have to get to that next, spent half the day looking for a new fuel filter, couldn't find it, bought new separator, just installed, still running bad, fuel pressure is the next thing to check...
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 9:31pm
My fuel pressure jumped up to 7 psi with a new pump.    It was about 4-4.5 psi before on the original pump.

That has made a huge difference in running for me already, although i have yet to water test it.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2010 at 9:47am
Have you checked your valve train, popping from the carb is telling you it's on the intake side of the motor. You may have a intake lobe going bad, take off valve cover and check the movement of each cylinder.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic