Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

starter problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
elynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starter problem
    Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:29pm
I have an 83 martinique with a 454 engine. The starter drags. When cold it will turn over slowly and then start. When warm it will turn over very slowly or just click. I have done the following: New interstate marine battery, new battery cables, new breaker, cleaned every connection that I could find, had starter tested, was told that it was good. The engine runs real good so I do not think that it is out of time. I have run out of ideas.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The engine has 417 hours.
Thanks
elynch
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:50pm
what gauge battery cables did you use?

have you checked the timing?
elynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 3:30pm
Not sure of gauge, it does say 6 wire on my receipt, it is the same size as the one I removed. I have not checked the timing. Can the engine timing just be a little off and cause the starter to drag?
thanks
elynch
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 3:37pm
I would get new cables as they are undersized quit a bit if they are 6 gauge they need to be 2/0 or 0 at a minimum just because that is what was on it doen't make it correct, one problem is your not getting enough current to the field coils of the cranking motor, the other problem can be the timing is advanced causing the cranking motor to drag. Fix the cable problem first then check the timing.
elynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 4:40pm
Printed on the wire is ( 2 sae 105* )   Do you know of a good place to order a starter in case I need one? Mine checked out OK and the brushes look good. I will check the timing later this week, I need to borrow a light.
Thanks
elynch
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 5:04pm
ok don't listen, cables replace them with 2/0 cable and get rid of the automotive 2 gauge cables you installed. Get a timing light and set the timing to the proper setting. Leave the starter alone it's all ready been test and past the test so you don't need to replace it.

1. get the right sized cables for the application.

2. set the timing to mfg specs.

3. Adjust the carb

4. enjoy the boat.

or just do what you want replace the starter and do the circle chase trick and keep having the same problem or listen to what your being told that will fix the problem.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 5:28pm
I concur on the cables.

Typically too much advance manifests as a hot start problem.

Tell us more about this new marine battery.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
elynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 5:52pm
Interstate part #srm-27 600cca 30 sec/0*F, rc min 25 amp/80*F, 750 ca 30
sec/32*F Marine/rv 12 volt. I will be replacing the battery cables and checking the timing. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks
elynch
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 6:05pm
Could the solenoid not be making a solid connection?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 6:11pm
I think they set you up wrong.

It appears thats a deep cycle/cranking battery which is suitable for bubba bass buggies, fish motors and v6 mercs.

For a big block you need a 775CCA minimum, marine starting battery.

consider the XHD-27M

Get deep nothing; they havbe too much internal resistance, means less voltage at the starter when pulling big amps, equals slow starts.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 11:12am
Elynch,
I concure! You've been lead up the wrong road!! How and why did you end up with a this "deep cycle" SRM-27?

You want the "start/cranking" 27M-XHD

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
elynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 3:16pm
Problem solved. All that I did was replace the deep cycle battery with an interstate mtp-65 850 cca mega-tron. I wrongly assumed that the deep cycle would be good for this boat, I did not research enough. I will keep the deep cycle for my pontoon with a 40 hp motor. Thank you all for your input, this has been a good learning experience for me.
elynch
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 4:14pm
Good to hear.
Don't beat yourself up; you're not the first to do this, and won't be the last!
Lots of boat starters had an early death this way.

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 4:39pm
Elynch,
I'm happy to here the problem is solved.

BTW, welcome to CCfan. How about pictures? If you haven't already, get some plus some text to Keith for the diaries. There's a spot to open up the application in the diaries section. It may take him a couple days but he'll get your boat posted. Have you been around long or just find CCfan?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic