Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Engine Problem Ford 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Georgia Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgia Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 Engine Problem Ford 351
    Posted: May-23-2005 at 2:49am
We went on the lake and ran the boat wide open for about 3 min. Bad Idea I know. We pulled the boat down to a stop and the engine died. I turned the key and the engine turned over about three times, then I lost power, 12 V. The boat had alittle bit of water under the engine. I tried to turn on the bildge but I had no power to the boat at all. A few minutes later the inside lights cut on and the bildge worked.
    After pumping all the water out, again all power died and about 5 min later power came back on strong then died again. I have not had any power in the boat since. ( The boat was running hot, but I really couldn't tell how hot due to no power to the gauges. )
    Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help,

GeorgiaFan
1979 Ski Nautique
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 3:57am
Need to check the wiring especially around the ignition switch. Could be a bad switch, but more than likely a wire is loose.

How many rpm's were you running at WOT.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgia Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 1:57pm
I was running about 3500 RPM at most. I'm going to try to get someone to look at it this week, but I would like to try to fix it myself. Thanks for the help so far.

Georgia Fan
1979 Ski Nautique
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 1:49am
Its probably a battery cable somewhere thats not making a good connection. This is very common in boats. Corrosion due to acid or a rusted main battery ground at the engine. If its completely dead its easy to troubleshoot it with a simple test light. Its not the key.... The pump and other accessories run direct and not through the key. Its the main two feeds somewhere. Ive had my boat do the same thing and I was able to trouble shoot it on the spot cause I keep a bag of tools and a test light. (oh yeah, and duct tape!!)
gordonw View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 3:04am
Main feeds, yes! Run em down. They rot from the inside out. If they are original they need to be replaced anyway.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 8:57am
Hey Georgia Fan!   Where do ride? I'm south of ATL. GO DAWGS!!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgia Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 2:35pm
So I need to replace the battery cables. I will do that asap.

I ride on West Point Lake in LaGrange. And lake Harding in Columbus area.

U??

I hope replacing these cables fixes my problems. I'll post an update.

Thanks alot.

Georgia Fan
1979 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 2:56pm
Lake Jackson mostly...... Live in Mcdonough.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 4:47pm
Morfoot, how is lake jackson? I live in forsyth but I have never put my boat in jackson. I go to sinclair on the weekends and tobosofkee during the week. Is lake Jackson very big? A buddy of mine has a house on Lake Jackson and he has a 83' 2001. he just twisted his shaft and ruined his prop up there somewhere. That is why I was asking about the lake is there alot of stumps? Sand bars? rocks?
SCOMER
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 10:55am
Scomer, Lake is pretty big as far as I'm concerned. It isn't real wide but windy like Sinclair around the twin bridges area. Do you know where his house is. If you go up around the yellow river or south river you find the proverbiale stumps and shallow water. I've been boating on that lake for 20 years and have never hit a stump. Rocks are virtually non exsistant. Sand bars only up the yellow river and then its mucky mud. Weekends are REAL BUSY just like any other lake.   Thought about taking mine to tobosofkee for a two 2 day camping trip. THurs and fri then leave Sat morn. Is it worth the trip or am I wasting time? Never been there just by it on my way to WR to pick up my 2 girls.... I have bent a srut and a shaft on sinclair.
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 1:14pm
Morfoot,
      Lake tobosofkee is a small lake, you can get from one end of the lake to the other end in about 10 minutes. It has 3 public beaches and only a couple of skiable coves, the rest of the lake is pretty much open. The lake is busy on the weekends. It's worth a trip to check it out.
My friend that has a house on Lake Jackson was up one of those rivers when he tore his boat up. He said he had gone a pretty long way, obviously a little to far.
My lake of choice is sinclair, we're leaving today at lunch for the holiday weekend up there.
SCOMER
JoelH View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 11:11pm
If it's running hot, and you have a lot of water in the bilge, it might be worth it to check for leaks in the water intake system!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgia Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2005 at 3:16pm
Well I a moved the battery cables a little and the lights came back on. I am going to replace the cables soon. I believe this is all that is wrong with the boat. Thanks for all the advice.

Georgia Fan
1979 Ski Nautique
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgia Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2005 at 11:49pm
I purchased new cables and the boat cranked right up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic