Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help PLZ fuel problem??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help PLZ fuel problem??
    Posted: May-09-2005 at 10:27pm
When I start my boat it will only run at half throttle . It will not idle. The secondarys are not getting fuel at all?? Its like I am not getting enough fuel. When I remove the fuel line the pump puts out alot of fuel. I just replaced the fuel line from the pump to carb. could this cause a air bubble?? Has this ever happen to anyone else if so how did you fix it???
Thanks -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 10:46pm
Brad,

What engine are you running? What kind of carburator do you have? Did the problem begin all-of-a-sudden? Have you performed any work or maintenance on the engine recently? What year engine / carb do you have?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 11:36pm
I have a 1976 ski nautique, with a 351w. The carb is a 600cfm holly vac secondaries. The original. As far as maintenance I just put a new hei dist and a edelbrock intake. While doing so I removed the carb no adjustments just set it aside. I am dieing to hear this thing run but all it will do is run reved up. if i back off the throttle it just dies. The timing is correct and it actually runs smooth it just requires alot of throttle to run at all. No low rpm idle. ??????
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 1:00am
It sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 1:22am
jameski, exactly what i was thinkin!! Might have a wide open port when changing intakes.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 1:31am
Did you have to relocate the PCV hose after you changed manifolds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 7:59am
Yes, would this cause it. How do I cheak for vacuum leaks that I cant see?? There are no open holes or lines. -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 10:20am
When I look for a vacuum leak, I start by temporarily plugging the pcv hose and any other vacuum hoses you might have (I don't know of any others). If this doesn't solve the problem, then, with a large leak like yours, I would try listening for the hiss sound using a length of rubber fuel line (or any small hose) stuck in my ear (you should have your spark arrester installed to muffle some of the throttle noise). If you can ever get it to run stably, you can try spraying starting fluid (or propane) around your gaskets to see if you notice a change in idle speed. I would first suspect the carb flange gasket. If you didn't use all new gaskets when changing your intake, then that is your problem.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 12:11pm
I agree with jameski about the PCV hose. The first thing to do is to remove the PCV hose and plug the manifold port it runs to. Don't worry about the end of the hose that plugs into your valve cover - that end can hang loose during your test. Then try to run your engine with out the PCV hose connected. If it runs well you will have to find a different manifold or carb port for your PCV hose. You can buy a spacer that fits between your carb and your manifold with a port to connect your PCV hose to if needed.

I spray WD-40 around the area where there may be a vacuum leak. If the engine RPM changes when you spray you found a vacuum leak. From your description it would have to be a pretty big leak like that resulting from a loose hose or a ruptured diaphram. I don't see any way a part would fail while the carb was just setting on the bench. That's why I suspect a PCV hose plugged into an incorrect port.

Let us know.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 1:38pm
Maybe it could be the HEI. When I attempted to install a GM HEI module with a Ford magnetic trigger distributor, the engine just ran horridly. It would NOT idle and only run at part throttle. I gave up and went back to my points and all was well.

So, what I am saying is do not discount the electrical part of this. Yes, eliminate a vacuum leak first. Then, put the old distributor/ignition back in place and see what happens.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 7:42pm
I tried cheaking for vacuum leaks and found none. Could the intake be leaking on the inside or on the bottom of the intake port? It is not as easy as just slidding the old dist. back in. I had to use the gear off my old one. I think the fire is fine, its a fuel problem. I poored fuel down in the carb. and it will come very close to an idle. For what ever reason the fuel is not coming out of the carb like it should. I dont know guys, I think I will give it a break I am getting frustrated with this thing. I need help! -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 1:07am
When you installed your carb onto the new intake manifold did you use the adapter plate that allows you to retain your Holley 4160 carb? I believe the part number is EDL-2732.

Without this kit you will get a vacuum leak between the carb base and the intake manifold.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 4:05am
If the carb won't idle and you think you confirmed spark then start working on the Idle Mixture Circuit in the carb.

Turn the idel mixture screws in (very softly) and count the turns till they bottom out....about 2 1/2. Then remove and spray a carb cleaner into the holes (watch your eyes). I can't recall on the Holley, but there is also a emulsion tube on top of the carb(very small OD brass tube) that I flush with carb cleaner when I rebuild.

It's also critical to make sure when you removed the carb that it did not affect the setting of the air valves critical position to the idle mixture port where it enters the throat of the carburetor. If that port is on the wrong side it does not see vacuum.

Also, try a guy on the Forum (SS 2001). He's a Holley guru.

For the leak, if you don't like spraying flammables around a running engine....try cigar smoke!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 12:16pm
Well problem solved. I used smoke to find a small leak where my spacer meets the intake. This was a very small gap, so small you couldn't see or hear the leak. Just as you all
suspected the fuel was not being pulled into the intake due to a vacumm leak. The motor now very peppy and revs very fast. There will be a water test tomarrow. Thanks agian guys for all your help.   I will let you know how it pulls.    -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic