Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When is it time to rebuild carb?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BrettB1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When is it time to rebuild carb?
    Posted: April-23-2005 at 10:36pm
Hey guys,
I'm a newbie to the forum & just bought a 78' ski nautique. Everything is good except for the choke seems to not function, therefore to get the first start I have to manually "play" with the carb a little bit. What can I do to fix the choke problem. Do I need to rebuild the carb? I was also wanting to change to electonic ignition. I was wanting to get the Pertronix kit but I don't know which model number to order. I have a 351windsor pcm. PLEASE HELP!
Highflyer View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2005 at 11:38pm
Check to see if the choke linkage is binding...also check to see if the choke plate is binding. Observe if the setting on the thermostatic spring housing is correct. Check for the correct carburetor gasket or spacer combinations. On disassembly of the carburetor, check the fuel level or if the fuel inlet needle is sticking or incorrectly seating.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2005 at 5:02am
If your pumping the throttle to get the engine primed I'd say that's normal.

Just my opinion, but I'd go ahead and rebuild a 20 plus year old carb and replace the water pump impeller and then slowly start rebuilding the starter, alternator and accessories.

If you have good compression, then I'd leave the internals in your engine alone and maybe...maybe...replace the timing chain since the best electronic ignition is worthless with a sloppy chain.

Enjoy the boat!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
BrettB1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2005 at 9:01pm
Thanks for the advice 64skier. Does anyone know which Pertronix electronic ignition will work for the 351windsor in my 78'. I had a guy tell me that it depends on the distributor, but the numbers have long been corroded away and are unable to be read. The boat is all original.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2005 at 9:37pm
there is one for the screw down cap and one for the clip down clip. try www.vintageperformance.com
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 12:02pm
Another thing you could check for with that choke problem:
Make sure your getting power to that Thermostatic Spring cover (Key must be on). I corroded connector can create a lot of problems.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 12:53pm
Brett, I concur with 882001 as to the EI conversion. I've had some problems installing mine and they have been great help in trying to resolve the problem. (its a rotor issue,seems that I don't have Original equip.)The link has a section dedicately to marine apps. Check it out.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 4:23pm
If money isn't an issue get a whole new distributor like a mallory ylu-554-cv. Re-building the carb and a tune-up is in order That way you start out know things are correctly set.
BrettB1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 3:46pm
Thanks for the info everybody. My distributor has the two clips holding on the cap. The two clips are then screwed down. Oh yeah, what about a new coil to go with the EI, will this be beneficial or should I stay with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality?
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 4:59am
Coils degrade over time and heat exposure. Coils that lay on their side are also siad to have reduced life. I've seen and performed a lot of carb rebuilds that were unecessary and later found out it was the coil or the ballast resistor.

You're on the right track. Buy the E ignition 882001 recommended and a new coil.

If you follow any of my advice...do this...only do one thing at a time. Don't tear into the ignition until you're sure your carb is running OK.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic