NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It’s Not the Rear Seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It’s Not the Rear Seal
    Posted: April-19-2005 at 11:03pm
Well, I cleaned my bilge real well this evening and I placed a clean piece of cardboard under the trans. I have discovered the trans leak is coming from the bell housing. I guess this means it's a front seal and it's time to rebuild. Man, right at the beginnng of summer.

Any recommendations on who to ship the trans to? I want to expedite. It's a Borg Warner 70C 1:1 Velvet Drive.

I'm near Houston but I will ship it anywhere to insure a quality rebuild job.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 12:02am
Aww man... What a bummer   Maybe you can drop the tranny out of the '66 in so you can get back on the water.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 2:06am
I thought about it. I really haven't touched the '66 since I got it. I just stare at it while I drink coffee or some other un-cola. (My girlfriend pretends she understands.) The trans in it may be bad for all I know. It will have to wait... This stuff is fun isn't it?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 12:46pm
Jim take a look at these guy's I was thinking of using them but had a buddy rebuild mine instead.

http://www.outdrives.us/transmission.htm
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 1:46pm
Jim, You appear to be a mechanical type of guy, Print off the manual here and do the rebuild your self! It may just have a front bearing failure.... Any rate you can look at the service manual here and get familiar with it. Good luck!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 2:01pm
If it's just leaking why don't you snatch it out of there and put a seal in it? Does it really need to be rebuilt yet? Does it shift OK?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 2:04pm
Mack, I'll look at before I send it out. Maybe I can just change the front bearing and seal and do a complete rebuild some other time. I would enjoy doing the rebuild myself, it's becoming a time thing. I doubt I would have a complete rebuild finished before the end of summer. In the meantime I'm going to checkout outdrives.us.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 2:07pm
It shifts OK. Maybe I can just throw in a seal (and bearing) - I'll pull it and look at it.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 3:15pm
Jim, the front seal is not difficult.

This tranny is popular in shrimpers in your part of the country...probably speak a little french and get a discount.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 3:18pm
Jim:

If you decide it needs rebuilding and you do not want to do it yourself, you might want to consider purchasing a remanufactured unit and once you receive it, send yours back for core credit. This should expedite getting you back on the water.

Also, I am sure there are several places in Houston that can do the rebuild for you, just ask the local dealer or several boat mechanics in your area who is the best rebuilder.

FWIW, I once had a 64 Chris Craft that had a leaky tranny when I purchased her. It turned out to just need new seals and all was fine. However, given your failure scenario, I would be concerned about bearing failure.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 3:44pm
I concur. Shrimp boats? Really?
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 6:49pm
Jim-
you can ship it to me, I'm in North Georgia, I know where to get the rebuild kit with all the seals for cheap.... I'll rebuild it to like new!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 7:04pm
Thanks danman. I want to see if I can get by just rteplacing the front seal first. What's your opinion of that?
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 10:15pm
I have a 78 nautique, with about 1770 hours on the boat, I too had a rear seal leak, then the front, but anyways, when I had the engine out last winter for the over haul, I went through everything while I had it all out! I rebuilt the starter, the alternator, and I think I only paid about $40 for a complete seal kit/snap rings. I will have to find out the company's name I ordered it from, but when I went through the tranny, both the forward and reverse piston seals were pretty hard and brittle. I am glad I went through it before those seals gave away and destroyed a set of clutch discs and steal discs. The tranny is very simple. Like I said I would be happy to do the overhaul for you...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 11:21pm
It looks like you have good skills. Email me and we will work out the particulars. Tell me what you need and I will have the replacement parts shipped to you.

It may be this week-end before I pull the trans.

Thanks Dan,

jim@electricaltrainingusa.com

(That's one of my web sites.)
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 11:26pm
www.marinegears.com

sells parts, manuals, etc. Also offers rebuild services. Forum on their website may be helpful. I think the owner is Mark and he answers a lot of the questions on the forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic