Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Sea Ray

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 Sea Ray
    Posted: April-13-2009 at 1:00am
I have a friend who is restoring a 1976 Sea Ray. He took it out this weeekend for a test ride. He said that everything went good except that when he reached 3200 rpm's everything would shut down and he would have to reset the breaker before anything would start. I know he had to replace the alternator last week. Could the new alternator be causing this problem? I had him look at the old alternator compared to the new and it appears the new alternator is a 100 amp and the old one was a 63 amp? I know that people upgrade to the 100 amp regularly but do other changes have to be made for this upgrade or is this not at all the problem? Also, he said that now his ampmeter and oil pressure gauges are both pegged. Related problem?

I know this is not a Sea Ray site but you all have lots of mecahnical knowledge here and we are hoping you will be willing to help.

Thanks,
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 10:32am
you need a good DVM, to check the output voltage, maybe the internal voltage regulater is not working correctly, no more than 13.5 or so volts at peak, I dont think amps are going to cause your problem. put the meter across the battery and fire the engine and rev
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 10:32am
Just so happens my brother is parting out an old Sea Ray. He bought it just for the outdrive.

If your friend needs an original alternator or voltage regulator (or any other engine part), let me know.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2009 at 3:37pm
you need a larger breaker most likely.
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 11:59am
Last night we disconnected the alternator and the boat ran fine. We also installed the original alternator and the boat still ran fine except the output from the alternator was only 12.5 volts at lo or hi rpm's checked with a voltmeter to the alternator. That is not sufficient right?

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 1:18pm
need a new regulator it sounds like, but using the new alt with a larger breaker might solve the problem too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic