NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

starter question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starter question
    Posted: January-19-2005 at 1:00pm
I am thinking about replacing my starter in my 97 Ski Nautique. It is lagging at start-up, especially when hot. The guys at the local shop thought it was probably ok since it never failed, but of course replacing is an option. Has anybody had this experience? I don't want to get stranded. If I wanted to replace it, is there a particular brand/type I would need to go with? Or, could I just take it to the local shop (not a Nautique shop) and trust their advice? Thanks
Ryan
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2005 at 2:42pm
http://www.amarket.com/mes337ml.htm
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2005 at 3:22pm
I would check the rest of the electrical system first. Making sure I had a good battery with a over 650 CCA and the charging system works correctly. I would also check the tune-up of the engine. If it cranks fine cold then it has trouble when it is hot then something is wrong with the timing, carb or battery and not the starter.
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2005 at 3:42pm
Thanks for the advice. I had it checked over a couple of months ago and the battery and electrical system checked out (at my local Nautique dealer). There IS a lag when the engine is cold, but more of a lag when it warms up. I was told that was because it requires more power to crank a warm engine than a cold engine. Is it your opinion that it is very unlikely that the starter is faulty if it hasn't failed yet? Would you view the lag as a not-issue? THANKS
Ryan
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2005 at 3:54pm
Did the Dealer check the timing? I had an old Ford that easily cranked cold, but when hot the engine would barely turn over...it was the timing.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2005 at 4:10pm
Usually a dragging starter is a sign of low voltage or a bad connection. Also putting an old starter on a newly rebuilt high compression motor can be a strain on a starter.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2005 at 5:35pm
are you using the orginal battery and battery cables? And when was the engine tuned-up last?

You can remove the starter and take it a local auto parts store and have it checked as well to varify it is functioning correctly.

Also when they checked the electrical system did they load test it or just varify that it was charging? If they didn't load test it then they realy didn't test anything.
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2005 at 6:55pm
Thanks again for the imput. I should have asked better questions when I had the boat in the shop. I was told that everything looked fine and that the starter, though lagging, wasn't failing so I shouldn't need to worry about it. They said the battery and cables/connections looked fine.

I don't know when the engine was tuned up last. I bought the boat this past August. The guys at the loacal Nautique shop said everything looked and sounded fine when I had it winterized in November. I asked them to do whatever needed to be done at that time and they said everything looked fine.

I am not using the original battery. I did have it tested at a battery shop and it tested out great. I guess I'll need to try again and have the electical system load tested before I replace the starter.

Thanks again
Ryan
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2005 at 6:58pm
My starter didn't sound quite perfect, and was a little slow, so I took it to the local auto-electric place and had it rebuilt. I made absolutely sure they understood marine applications (and they did). They charged me less than $30 and now it sounds perfect and cranks the engine normally. I suspect the bushings on the armature were worn and the new bushings gave it a little "extra".
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2005 at 7:38pm
Ryan,

What is the cold cranking amps (CCA) of the battery you are using now? is it a deep-cycle?

Also what engine do you have and is it carborated or FI?   usually when the starter drags it's due to the timing being off or low current to the starter. So if you have a FI eninge with a DIS ignition (i.e. no dist) then the timing is controled by the computer and no adjustment can be made to the timing. Now if it does have a dist then you need to check the timing and adjust accordingly. Now for the battery, if you replaced it with a deep cycle battery, odds are you are not getting enough current to the starter with it and need to replace it with a cranking (non-deep cycle) battery, especially if you have a ford block. Deep cycle batteries give low current for long periods of time, (i.e running electronics all day) While a cranking battery gives high current over short periods off time. It takes a lot more current to get the starter turning than it does to keep it turning. I believe the term is call electromotive force but it's been a while since I took physics and may be wrong on the termology. There's really only two things that can go wrong with the starter, the brushes wear out or the solenoid goes bad. So with a Ford starter really all you have to worry about is the brushes since the soleniod is seperate. And the only difference between an automotive and marine starter is the marine version has a spark/flame arrestor and better corrosion resistance there's no need to make a big deal of it being a marine starter. If a guy knows how to rebuild a car starter then he can do a marine starter.
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2005 at 1:01pm
Thanks, again. I am not using a deep cycle or marine battery. The battery that was in the boat is simply a cranking battery and the batter shop tested it out at nearly 800 CCA. The Nautique shop thought the battery cables were in good shape (they considered shortening them) and the connections were fine. I don't thing the battery is the problem, but am seriously considering buying a new one anyway just for peace of mind.

I have the GT-40 EFI engine. I am such an engine rookie that I don't know what type of ignition it has. Would a fuel injected engine automatically have DIS ignition? If this is the case, then can I assume that the timing is fine and the starter needs to be serviced?

THANK YOU
Ryan
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2005 at 1:29pm
You need a new starter. Although there are many good rebuild shops do you really want to rely on a rebuilt starter in a CC marine application? The cost of of a new starter is not that high. If you can afford a boat you can afford a new starter. Save money somewhere else. Sell the old starter on Ebay and be sure to advertise it as needing rebuilding.

When an electric motor heats, tolerances that where acceptable resulting in an operable motor cold, become unacceptable and unoperable when hot. The worn bushings allow the armature to come into contact with the field pole pieces when hot. The starter motor must overcome ths internal drag AND the torque required to spin your engine.

The starter motor will only get progressively worse and will eventually leave you stranded.

Unless you are boating on a small lake and you are not concerned, buy a new starter before your next trip out.

(Electric motors, including starter motors, are what I know something about. I owned and operated an electric motor rewind shop in Houston for 20 years. Trust me on this one.)
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 11:37am
if your engine is standard rotation , just go get a car starter and put the hose clamp on it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 1:44pm
I guess all that time we spent on FEA and thermal expansion studys weren't needed after all during the design phase. The motor gets hot and the tolerances are not controlable and the motor is junk becuase the armature rubs against the field coils. Hummmm

What goes bad is the front bushing in the nose housing or the rear bearing in the end plate or you loss the case hardening on the bearing surfaces of the armature which allow the armature to rotate off axis and with the additional dynamic effects this causes the air gap is reduced and the armature rubs against the field coils and then you need it re-wound and most times replace armature as well or basicly a motor that is realy more expensive to re-build then it is to get a remaunfactured or new motor.

What will cause a starter to turn slowly or drag? ignition timing, low battery, poor electrical connections, worn brushes, or a worn commutator.

Since the field coils in a starting motor are are only protected by a thin epxoy coating and kraft papper for insulation once the armature's laminations start to rub against it they ususally will sort within a few rotations and stop working completely.

Just a crabby old DELCO-REMY designer's $0.02

Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 2:32pm
I put a rebuilt starter in my last boat, a 272 Formula where the engine had to be pulled just to get to it (twin 454s). I ran it for 3 years before selling it without any problems at all. I believe the cost diff at the time was 350 for the new one or 65 for the rebuilt. Maybe I just got lucky, but I know others who have used rebuilt and had no issues.

Whatever you do, DO NOT put a car starter in it. I think there are times you can use car parts on a marine engine, but not for electrical components like the starter or alternator. No need to put your life or those of your passengers in danger to save a couple bucks. I'd spend $100 on a rebuilt marine starter before I spent $50 on a new car starter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 3:15pm
Don't get me wrong I don't indorse using car spec components on marine applications. Just that there are only a few things that are really different from marine to auto and in the case of a starter motor there is really only one thing and that is the arestor and it is pretty easy to convert an auto to marine starter. A lot of poeple try and make it a major issue regarding marine verse automotive components and it really isn't and if you know what is differnet from one to the other it's not that hard to convert them, if your in a pinch on a starter or even a dist. now an alternator is a whole different animal becuase there are several differences where on the others it's only one or two things. Now I have a little inside info because I was a designer for an OEM manufacture and had to convert automotive spec parts to marine spec parts.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 3:25pm
I agree with 79nautique. When the bushings become worn the armature will be pulled into field pole pieces. No rocket science needed. As the bushings wear the problem becomes worse. I had a '61 Oldsmobile I drove for a year (when I was a kid) with a starter behaving like this. I would always have to wait for it to cool down before it would turn over fast enough to start the engine. My dad finally sprung for a new starter - problem was solved.

Is kraft paper really still used for insulation in Delco-Remy starters?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 4:00pm
79Nautique, I understand what you're saying. It's the "if you know what is different from one to the other it's not that hard to convert them" part that I'm concerned about. I don't think I'd feel very safe if I were to just "go get a car starter and put the hose clamp on it." I mean, is that all there is to it? Does the hose clamp have to go anywhere in particular? A little information can be dangerous. Here's an extreme hypothetical situation: If your boat catches fire at a marina and an insurance investigation shows that the cause was from a non-marine starter, will they cover you and the damage you could cause?
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 4:03pm
mes makes good stuff , http://www.amarket.com/mes337m.htm
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 6:22pm
hose clamp just keeps the cover on , could just put goop around it , http://www.mesmarine.com/337m.html
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 6:43pm
this is the one I used ,               http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=ATR&MfrPartNumber=3152&PartType=123&PTSet=A
97sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 8:08pm
Never, never ever put a car starter on a boat!!! The marine starter is thermo sealed and that is more then just putting on a hose clamp and gooping on some sealer. I love my family and Nautique too much to not spend the extra bucks for a marine starter. BAD ADVICE...
life is short live it!!!
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 10:25pm
no spark arrestors in a marine starter , just some goop around the top cap .               http://www.championparts.net/marinestarter.htm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2005 at 3:36pm
Thermo sealed now thats a new one. The hose clamp has nothing to do with anything regarding marine to auto. What is different is that any hole or passageway that a flame could get outside of the internal workings of the starter are sealed. So what does that intell? depends on the brand and model of starter but most add a baffle/flame arrestor between the armature windings and the nose housing at the other end they change the endplate. Go to your autoparts store and have them lay a marine starter next to a automoble starter without you looking and them guess which one is which and 90% of you couldn't tell the difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic