Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It just bogs down

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
frydaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frydaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It just bogs down
    Posted: October-25-2004 at 7:47pm
I have a Correct Craft Barracuda with a Chrysler m318 235hp. I have a problem with the engine under load. When I am at the house (with the fake a lake connected), the engine fires up and runs good. I am able to rev it up with no problems. When I am at the lake and put it in gear under load (with the prop in the water) the engine will not pull over 2000 rpm. It just bogs down. A have rebuilt the carb. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Frydaddy
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2004 at 10:07pm
timing?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 2:38pm
Any black smoke when it bogs down? The float might be too high. Do you set the boat level with the fake a lake like it sits in the water? Does it rev fine in neutral in the water? When my mustang bogs under a load it's usually the power valve or the accelerator pump. Both can get a slight tear and cause flooding. If you have a holley, a slight backfire or hiccup can pop the power valve.
Tim D
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 3:55pm
OK--first the obvious-- is the flame arrestor clean?

Looking at the problem from a different end... Is the prop in good shape?

Good luck

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 4:42pm
Check the ignition system first then look at fuel delivery next. So first visually inspect point's for pitting, check condenser for corrosion, the rotor and cap for heat marks and arcing replace as needed. Now check the dwell, then the base timing , then timing at 3000 rpm. now check the coil leads for corrosion and hot spots, inspect spark plug wires and look for signs of arcing replace as needed. If all that checks out then look into the fuel system, check fuel/water seperator,fuel filter, fuel pressure, then the float/carb last. Just because it revs fine on land or neutral on the lake means nothing there is no load to the coil or condenser until you put it in gear and go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 4:47pm
The prop is the last place to look and a waste of time in your case. Even if the prop is dinged or bent it will not knock the rpm down 3000 revs, 500 or so maybe but you would have vibration and noise as well.
Britler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Britler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2004 at 5:28pm
Definetly sounds like a timing related issue. However I am not familiar with that particular engine I am going to assume it has a vaccum advance distributor on it. If so disconnect the vaccum line pull the cap off the dist. and suck on the vaccum line and see if you are actuating the advance. It sounds like you are not getting a timing advance to me but then again it could obviously be inital and full advance timing or simply fuel delivery.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2004 at 2:32pm
I don't think any marine engine has a vacuum advance distributor, thats for light load milage kind of thing and there never a light load on a marine engine.
Hay Frydaddy, where you at? need some answers, maybe he fixed it...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2004 at 3:22pm
Ya if it does have a vacuum advance then someone has put an automotive distributor instead of a marine dist. I laugh everytime someone on this site talks about a vacuum advanced distributor.
frydaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frydaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2004 at 12:10am
I have not fixed it yet. The lake got to cold to test. I appreciate I of the replies to my problem. I had my thoughts of what the problem is and after all of your replies I think I need to fix the distributor. It is a mechanical advance distributor. I noticed while running the engine at the house with a timing light on hard acceleration it doesn’t look like the distributor is advancing the timing. Thanks
Frydaddy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic