NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mountain vs. Mole Hill - Zinc Oils

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mountain vs. Mole Hill - Zinc Oils
    Posted: August-08-2007 at 2:46pm
Gang, time to play devil's advocate here. Flame away: Has anyone personally replaced a cam on a flat-tappet ski boat motor because of wear from using non-zinc oils? Or, has anyone even heard of someone replacing a cam on our PCM marinized Ford powerplants specifically, ever, purely do to wear despite regular oil changes with any reasonable (multi or straight 30 or 40w) oil? Could this be an issue reserved for more aggressive cam lobes seen on higher-performance engines? With our engines running 4400-5k RPM with stock marine cams and generally very mild modifications, is there a reason to really panic on this whole oil with zinc thing?

Further, who has broken down a flat tappet engine that has been running for 1000 hours and looked at the cam? How did the old cam look? TRBenj, how did the cam look in the 90 when you took it out? I'm sure that thing has seen a variety of oils over it's 18 year lifespan.

Obviously oil is cheap and getting the best oil is great, cheap insurance, and I'm all for it. I'm just trying to reign in the panic on the lack of zinc additives in newer oils and really get a scope assigned to the problem.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 3:12pm
M3Fan,There are a number of cam failures that have happened in my little circle of motor builders.
Here is one story;
302 mildly modified,GT 40's good intake,ignition MSD and a Cam Research combo.The new cam blank changed the firing order.....
Took 1 to 3 min. to figure out the misfire, cure change the plug wires.
Damage done TWO CAM LOBES Wiped Out......
Tear down engine clean all parts and remove debris from MR. SQUEEKY .....
What caused the failure,debateable,Large amounts of cam lube used,EOS added to break-in oil.20/50 Castrol used .
Scott at C/Research replaced the cam and the lifters at no cost,with the understanding it was a one time shot...
The rebuild was the same as before ,cam lube ,EOS the change was Rotella 40T.
I Have no letters behind my name , but I did not fall off a turnip truck last nite.There is a high rate of failure and it is being linked to the oils and the mods related to the additives.
So I am not telling you nor anyone on this site what to use or not use.Just sharing info I have gained and what product I think is best for mine and my clients that trust me to both enlighten and perform the maint. on their boats to the best of my ability.
As far as I am concerned you can run Quaker State,The Boat Dr. dont care,but i will put the best oil and filter that I can buy on my stuff................billy
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Could this be an issue reserved for more aggressive cam lobes seen on higher-performance engines?

Further, who has broken down a flat tappet engine that has been running for 1000 hours and looked at the cam? How did the old cam look? TRBenj, how did the cam look in the 90 when you took it out?

A few points:

- Modified engines with more aggressive (higher lift) cams, and more importantly, stronger valve springs are certainly more susceptible to failure with the newer oils. This is due to the greater forces that exist between the cam and lifter.

- The reduction of the zinc/phosphorus additives has been a gradual one. The process started in the mid 80's since most motors by then had gone roller. However, it hasnt been until very recently that the standards have all but eliminated them from most modern oils. The 15w40 Rotella (my oil of choice) is now included in that group, where a year ago it was not. This article in HotRod is a good read.

I didnt inspect my old cam very closely- but I doubt it would show serious signs of wear. Upon disassembly, it was clear that the motor had been well maintained- and thats more than half the battle. The older grades of oil (from just a few years ago) that had been run in it surely contained more additives than the current oils do, so it was adequately protected (even with the Fram filters .)

The point is that the standards keep reducing the additives, so those of us with flat tappet motors just need to be careful. Those of us with bigger cams and springs need to be extra cautious. Its not about spending more money (Rotella oil and Wix filters are very economical), its just a matter of staying informed. I havent built enough motors (1) to have experienced any failures, but Ive heard the stories and Im not taking any chances. I'll be switching to the straight 30w or 40w.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 4:17pm
Found some more info here. Looks pretty serious. You'd think PCM would say something, with thousands of units in the field?

Dodge Forum

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 4:27pm
Another

Pontiac Site
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 4:39pm
M3Fan, sounds like you opened your mouth and planted your foot or shoulkd i say FEET.
And you should have read these articles before playing games and acting as if we were all doing the CHICKEN LITTLE DANCE.
There are problems and they will affect your motor, get your head out of the sand and at least listen to some of the advice that shows up here.

With our engines running 4400-5k RPM with stock marine cams and generally very mild modifications, is there a reason to really panic on this whole oil with zinc thing?

I hope you read those reports and you now have a different mindset on this issue.
Be careful of the words that you post here, some of the newbies take them as law.And the last thing I want is for someone to harm an engine on account of; "The Boat Dr. Said So"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 4:49pm
Boat Dr, cool it. Please point out where I even expressed an opinion either way? I did nothing but ask questions, clearly prefacing it with a disclaimer about being a devil's advocate. I've heard you were a good guy from a few guys at the reunion- let's not spoil your image here. I think it's important that we're always asking questions and questioning common thinking, and that's what I'm doing here. Looking at issues from all sides. I'll refrain from typing a more livid/profane response at the moment.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 5:27pm

Flame away:

I think you were asking for it

Doc (and anyone else interested): I just got off the phone with a tech from Valvoline. Valvoline Racing oil was the other brand that I was told still has the zinc additives (in addition to the Rotella), so I wanted to hear if they were making the same switch with their multigrades. Their official answer was NO. Their racing oil says "NOT STREET LEGAL!" right on the bottle, and the tech explained that it does not have to meet any API standards. He said all of their racing oils (straight and multigrade) all contain the zinc.

I like the multigrade since it offers more protection at cold startup- so it looks like I will be switching to Valvoline Racing. The tech said that NAPA carries it. It doesnt look like its offered in 15w40 though- so the question is, should I go with 10w30 or 20w50?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 5:38pm
boat dr VS M3Fan, newest CCF fued???

So basically (factory options for CC) every engine PCM has made to date has a flat tappet cam???
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 5:45pm
Tim, flaming is different than putting words in my mouth as if I were fabricating some big stand against Zinc or something. "ZDDP Sucks! It actually ruins your engine!". If I had said that, then "Dr. Overreaction" would have had a valid retort there.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 5:55pm
I'll refrain from typing a more livid/profane response at the moment

Do whatever turns your crank.You asked the question about the high hour motors and the amount of wear, my queestion to you was; If you would have read the reports of the failures first would you have asked that QUESTION, also the wording ....

Mountain vs. Mole Hill - Zinc Oils

I feel this is indeed a major problem that needed to be adressed, this is the reason I posted, not trying to slam nor degrade your knowledge, but as I try to do on this site.....SHARE KNOWLEDGE/GAIN KNOWLEDGE....
That sword cuts both ways,for me to become teachable I have to admit I am IGNORANT to certain facts,and this is who I am.
My Dad had a saying;
Ignorance is NOT KNOWING
Stupidity Is NOT WANTING TO KNOW

I have both of those charactor defects,I just try to keep the in balance.......boat dr

If I offended you , for that , my humble regrets.............

Your profanity is not needed to get you point across..................billy
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 6:06pm
My answer is yes,flat cam one lobe down another going when pulled apart.Mobil 1 1000 hour motor changed to Mobil at about 750 hours
what a mistake,ran mobil in my dragbike it was worth about .075 of a second by my tests and evey little bit helps there,so I started using it in SN to avoid the mid season oil change.when I got the new comp cam there was a little tech sheet in there explained exactly why you need the additives and which oils had them at that time I chose rotella about 300 hours on motor since

Good oil
good filter
lucas additive for me

Munday
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

So basically (factory options for CC) every engine PCM has made to date has a flat tappet cam???

I believe the recent SBC's (Excalibur, and maybe the Apex and 5.0 HO base motor) are rollers. The 6.0 ZR6 is surely roller as well.

Im going to call Cam Research and see what they recommend for weight with the Valvoline.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

My answer is yes,flat cam one lobe down another going when pulled apart.Mobil 1 1000 hour motor changed to Mobil at about 750 hours

That's the info I was looking for. A specific case of an already broken-in camshaft on our engines failing because of this.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 7:07pm
Also, back to a question regarding diesel oil ratings- the diesel oil rating of the oil I have in the boat right now is "CL-4". Since "L" comes after "I" (CI-4 apparently has ZDDP) I'll assume my diesel oil has no ZDDP in it since it's a newer blend (CL-4). Looks like I'm stopping at Napa on the way home for some racing oil.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 7:22pm
The new ratings apply only to multi-grade,the straight grades 30T & 40T will not carry the designation....CJ-4, These have the additives removed.
30T & 40T will retain the old formula.............boat dr
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 7:29pm
boat dr, your southern slang is really confusing me. "I" "J" "L" ???

"additives removed" means it doesn't have the zinc, the old stuff did. they don't add it then remove it.

Forget the designation, straight (diesel) 30T & 40T has or does not have zinc? Let's keep it simple.

Multigrade no longer has the zinc, need to look for the "racing" oil multigrade stuff?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 7:31pm
I just got off the phone with Cam Research. They confirmed what we're discussing as well with the zinc additives and the flat tappet cams. They recommend the Valvoline Racing (and also confirmed that the Rotella was good up until very recently). Specifically, they prefer the 20w50 in a boat regardless of climate. They seemed to think it has more zinc in it than the 10w30. They didnt think I would see a big difference in oil pressure coming from the Rotella 15w40 (maybe a little at start up). Im currently running 60-80psi once warm.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 7:40pm

boat dr, your southern slang is really confusing me. "I" "J" "L" ???

He's referring to the API (American Petroleum Institute) standards. Each standard gets a new letter (I came before J came before L). Each subsequent standard has mandated decreased levels of zinc (not sure which standards made the biggest jumps).

"additives removed" means it doesn't have the zinc, the old stuff did. they don't add it then remove it.

Correct.

Forget the designation, straight (diesel) 30T & 40T has or does not have zinc? Let's keep it simple.

Doc is specifically referring to Shell Rotella-T. The 30-T and 40-T still have the zinc. The 15w40 apparently does not.

Multigrade no longer has the zinc, need to look for the "racing" oil multigrade stuff?

For the Rotella lovers, they can still get it in straight 30w or 40w with the additives. Another choice would be to go to an "off road only" oil that doesnt have to comply with the API standards. Valvoline Racing is one such oil, there may be others. Their blends (10w30 and 20w50) still have the zinc additives.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 7:51pm
Any concern with the 50W side of the 20W50? I think my manual actually recommends 20W50 for low temp operation, but I'll double check.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 8:02pm

Any concern with the 50W side of the 20W50? I think my manual actually recommends 20W50 for low temp operation, but I'll double check.

That was my concern. I think my dad used to run 20w50 in the '92 though. Thats what the tech I spoke to at Cam Research runs in his boat as well.

I thought PCM's official recommendation on the Fords was to run either 30w or 40w (depending on air temp). I went with the multigrade because its supposed to have improved significantly in recent years. Id guess thats why its recommended on the new motors.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 8:11pm
I'll have the answer tonight but I know my manual has 3 levels depending on the temp for oil recs. 40W, 30W, and then I *think* 20W50 but it's for some ridiculous temperature like 20F and below.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 8:19pm
My head is spinning.
By what I've read here, which was quite entertaining, and after talking with one of our show team boat drivers, I think I'll be looking for the Valvoline 20W-50 racing oil for my 454. He has a 454 in his 95 Malibu and it just turned 3000 hours without a rebuild and has been running the Valvoline racing strait 50. We have been pulling 4-7 barefooters behind this boat weekly since it was new. Not too shabby.
Tull
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 8:34pm
wish mine had been taken care of like that all its life! what marinization is the '95?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I just got off the phone with Cam Research. They confirmed what we're discussing as well with the zinc additives and the flat tappet cams. They recommend the Valvoline Racing (and also confirmed that the Rotella was good up until very recently). Specifically, they prefer the 20w50 in a boat regardless of climate. They seemed to think it has more zinc in it than the 10w30. They didnt think I would see a big difference in oil pressure coming from the Rotella 15w40 (maybe a little at start up). Im currently running 60-80psi once warm.

Joel, thanks for asking the question and Tim, thanks for making the phone calls. I've been trying to decide what to do with oil at my next change. 35 hours on the new motor, running Valvoline 20w50 racing oil. Looks like Cam Research believes in it and thats where my cam came from so I'll stay with the Valvoline.

My oil pressure with the 20w50 is 80 cold, 60 warm at idle and 80 warm with any rpms at all. I am running a high Volume(not high pressure)Melling pump. I origianlly had some lifter/rocker noise at cold startup but that seems to have lessened quite a bit now with a few hours on the motor.

My local Autozone has the Valvoline Racing oil on the shelf although their filter selection sucks.
my90sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my90sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 10:01pm
My Engine Manual states a recommendation for 10W30 or 20W40 or any good grade automotive oil of correect viscosity which has an API classification of "SE", except for 460 and 454 and high temperature installations. It also gives a chart: Prevailing Daytime Temperatures

0*F SAE20W "SF"
32*F SAE30W "SF"
90*F SAE40W "SF"

I am in Nashville where the temperature yesterday reached 100* and is likely to hover between there and 80* for the rest of the season. According to my PCM Manual 20W40 is the best for my 351 as far as PCM reccomended in 1990, BUT what I have learned here is that I can not find enough zinc in 20W40, so maybe I should use the heavier 20W50 Valvoline Racing. However in the fall and spring when the temperature is 60-75 I should probably use the lighter weight 10W30 VR. If any of this is wrong let me know.

Either way I must drain the Moble1 that I have used for the past 25 hours immediatly, I claim Ignorance - Im a CC newbie in training. Does the saying "Once you go synthetic you must stay synthetic" have a valid point? Surely it will not out weigh the needs of the cam.?.? I don't know.

Thanks for starting this M3Fan and all that have replied - I seriously needed the lesson. Hopefully 25 hours of 915 has not damaged my 351.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 10:12pm

what does it say for the 454?
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 10:30pm
Just checked my 2000 SN manual. Regardless of engine brand, it says straight 40 for 50+ degrees, Straight 30 for 32-50 degrees, and 20W50 for 32 and below.

Just got back from Autozone, where I purchased 5 quarts of Valvoline 20W50. It has the older label which doesn't say anything about street legality. What's really reassuring is that it says "Contains ZDDP" right on the back!!! Pretty much leaves little to doubt. I'm currently draining my CL-4 15W40 after about 3 hours of use!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by my90sn my90sn wrote:

I can not find enough zinc in 20W40, so maybe I should use the heavier 20W50 Valvoline Racing. However in the fall and spring when the temperature is 60-75 I should probably use the lighter weight 10W30 VR. If any of this is wrong let me know.

Either way I must drain the Moble1 that I have used for the past 25 hours immediatly, I claim Ignorance - Im a CC newbie in training. Does the saying "Once you go synthetic you must stay synthetic" have a valid point? Surely it will not out weigh the needs of the cam.?.? I don't know.

I would have agreed with you based on PCM's recommendation in the manual, but Cam Research said they prefer the 20w50 regardless of climate. Either way, I doubt you can go wrong with the Valvoline Racing.

Personally, I wouldnt hesitate to get the Mobil1 out, especially after hearing Munday's story. You have to do whats best for the cam.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 10:53pm
Sorry to have created a monster here guys!!!!!
Would love to agree with you Tim,BUT, gonna run the 40T, am trying to order a 5 gal. bucket of the stuff,down here we call it "rat holein'"
This is just in case the decide the current formulation is too good or the feds say " you gotta change that because it cause cancer in the SNAIL DARTER.........boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic