Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top Speed?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Speed?
    Posted: August-18-2004 at 5:13pm
Here are some questions for all you boat hotrodders out there.
What is your best top speed?
What hull is this in (17’-9”, 70’s nautique, 18’-9”, 80’s nautique, 19’-6”, 90’s nautique, 16’ mustang, etc.)
What modifications have you made to get this speed? Hull, prop, drive, engine (carb, cam, manifold, ignition, etc).
Any downsides to the modifications other than fuel consumption at WOT? (rough idle, boat handling, hole shot, etc.)
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2004 at 1:10am
84 2001 dont know top speed scared ill break my baby try and keep it around 30 have gone to 40 though but too many rpms its not a drag its a ski boat
gotta love those old school nautiques
custom2001
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2004 at 2:20am
I rebuilt and tuned for hole shot with a very large ( 250 Lb Brother-in-Law) skier. I have a 289 with the Original solid lift cam, Performer Dual Plane Intake and Edelbrock marine Carb. Spent a lot of hours getting the engine bored and heads redone and have 165 Lbs compression all around. The machine work was done at a Speed Shop so the guy knew the what and how and basically educated me on the work. I had called around to several shops and asked them to guarantee compression variance....they laughed....the Speed Shop said no problem, but it was basically a guy who raced his daily driver who did the work...don't let them get you buying something too radical. If you go with a higher performance cam, you'll need the compression to calm it down...but don't let them talk you into an engine that needs octane boosters.

For years I've been drowning behind boats that can barely pull a slalom skier but cost a fortune. Got tired of all the fancy BS and went with simple old CC's I can work on and are very forgiving to my novice mechanical skills.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2004 at 1:35pm
My speedo's don't read very good sometimes I can peg them other times it reads a little over 45 my buddy's bass boat has had me at 58 once he catchs up. I have a class II long block from jasper that kicks out 300+hp and use a velvet drive tranny with a 13x13 prop. I haven't found anyone that can beat me out of the hole yet not even a 19' 200hp bass boat or jet ski
trauski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trauski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2004 at 6:56pm
93 PRO BOSS SKI NAUTIQUE

i get 46 1/2 mph with oj 14-16 4-blade prop. really smoothed out the boat and made wakes smaller. i got 48 mph with 14-16 3-blade federal but it rattled the whole boat on take off and the hole shot was poor at best. left hand growl was bad but elimenated with 4 blade.

99 python ski nautique

i used this boat at a clinic one day. the motor was a $ 10,000 option, designed to pull ski fly where the guys jump 300'. they were having trouble with reg gt-40 as when they where going 40 mph and gave it all the boat had into the ramp there wasnt much left. the python solved that. when you hit it, it buried the speedo at 50 mph and kept on going.probably goes 58 mph but gets there quick. you will never be beat. that boat is for sale at mdboats.com
1993 ski nautique,pro-boss,14/16 OJ 4-blade,perfect-pass,dual mirrors on top
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 2:04am
Ski at 36 mph but get 46 mph top end on my stock PCM Ford 302 in my 1979 Mustang 17'. Accurate reading on my Airguide and windsheild mounted hand-held GPS.

I'm running a new ACME 13 x 12 (see Featured Article).

The prop is the only upgrade.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2004 at 2:00pm
I had a 66 Barracuda balanced and bored 318 Chrysler. 13X13 prop ran 48 at 4600 RPM. My 2000 SN 5.8L GT-40 12.5X15.5 just ran 48.6 mph at 4468 rpm WOT at Lake Tahoe yesterday.
502 Python View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2004 at 2:06am
I have a Sport Nautique with the Python , completely stock. It pegs the speedo on the calibration button at 6 o'clock position and still has some pull left. I got a GPS and can't wait to see what the true speed is. Holeshot? The thing will pull 1 skier, 10 skiers, 10 skiers and the dock ...and it doesn't seem to affect top end. I love torque...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic